I have a front leg amp 2 years post osteo dx pup that has benefited greatly from PT. We started her in PT about 6 weeks post amputation and then during chemo tx realized it was too much, so we stopped PT. A few months after chemo ended she began showing signs of pain and discomfort so we went back. We now do "land" sessions at home 6x per week on a course we have in a hall in the house, and underwater treadmill and acupuncture at the PT office every three weeks. SweetPea had no evidence of lung nodules and is close to two years post osteo dx! We recently celebrated by getting her a set of wheelies. She's definitely still getting used to those, but seems to be having fun learning!

She’s been doing great. Happy, eating, always ready for a walk

:yay

I feel like we're quickly nearing the day when he has more bad days than good.

:(

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Apologies ahead of time for an emotional post. Struggling a bit with the weight of the dreaded “when?”. Sherlock has been on codeine for a little over a week now and we’ve had to give it to him more and more frequently (started quite conservatively), but his combo of meds is just barely taking the edge off his pain, it seems. My poor sweet boy. 

I know it’ll be up to me when, he can’t tell me other than to demonstrate how much it hurts through crying or not eating. I’m just heartbroken and don’t want to say goodbye. 

Morgan, adopted mom to Sherlock (Boc's Barneyfife)

31 minutes ago, mjmcmurray said:

Apologies ahead of time for an emotional post. Struggling a bit with the weight of the dreaded “when?”. Sherlock has been on codeine for a little over a week now and we’ve had to give it to him more and more frequently (started quite conservatively), but his combo of meds is just barely taking the edge off his pain, it seems. My poor sweet boy. 

I know it’ll be up to me when, he can’t tell me other than to demonstrate how much it hurts through crying or not eating. I’m just heartbroken and don’t want to say goodbye. 

Our vet always said:  Better a day too early than a day too late.  It is a painful decision, I know.  You are his best friend and he looks to you to give him the gift to be pain free.  I am so sorry.  G-d bless.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

3 hours ago, mjmcmurray said:

Never apologize for an emotional post. We have all been where you are and know how much it hurts (just a few months ago in my case). I would respectfully suggest that if you're posting about making the decision, it's probably time. Quality over quantity. You've done everything in your power to keep your boy comfortable and happy, and this is the last, most difficult act of love you can do for him.

Wishing you peace and sending many hugs. This disease is horrible.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I am so sorry you are going thru this, cancer is evil. I also agree better a day to early than a day to late. It is such a gut wrenching decision, and you may forever question if you chose the right time. Hugs to you and your boy.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Agree with the above posts. 

Many of us here are of the camp "better a day early than a day late" which can help to prevent a crisis situation. If at all possible, you don't want your last memory of Sherlock to be of him having to endure a devastating break. Ask if your vet will come to the house to give Sherlock his wings. Plan the best possible day together - his favorite foods, visiting if he's able or having friends he enjoys stop by, a sunbeam, whatever it is - and know that you have done your absolute best for him because, well, you have, because you love him.

We are here for you. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

As others have said, we've all been where you are now.  It's never easy.  And it probably shouldn't be.  {{{hugs}}}

Talk to your vet about increasing the frequency of his pain meds.  You don't need to be conservative or worry about long-term side effects.  Remember, you're trying to alleviate pain and make his last hours as comfortable as possible, not give him time to get better.  A smaller dose given more frequently, or adding gabapentin (if you haven't yet), or tweaking his dosage schedule can help give him a boost for a short time.  The most effective combination we found was a (well-tolerated) nsaid, codiene sulfate, and gabapentin.  Recently it's become routine to add Amantadine to the mix as it increases the efficacy of other pain meds, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

But it sounds like you are nearing the end.  I strongly urge you to research options in your area for home euthanasia (ask your vet for recommendations).  It's the calmest and least disruptive option for end-of-life care.  Sherlock will leave calmly, relaxed, and surrounded by his loving family and home.  If I have a choice I will never do it any other way.   

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you all sincerely. It was a difficult decision, but sadly, Sherlock crossed the Rainbow Bridge peacefully at home yesterday afternoon. I’m heartbroken, but comforted to know that he is no longer suffering. On his last day, we were able to get him to the park for a picnic, he got cuddles in all his favorite lounge spots, and even got some hamburger sliders and fries. 

Such an awful and painful disease. In the last week he was on the max doses of Meloxicam, Codeine every 4-6 hours, and Gabapentin three times a day. CBD as well. We tried Amantadine for a short time but it didn’t seem to do much. 

Sadly between long naps induced by the drugs, he was constantly whimpering and crying out, and could barely do a walk down the block. He can now run free and without pain. My younger sibling said “what a special day for him to go, when the veil is thin”, and with today the beginning of Dia de Muertos, it’s lovely to think he’s not too far from me right now. 

Morgan, adopted mom to Sherlock (Boc's Barneyfife)

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. You gave Sherlock a wonderful life and a perfect last day. I love what your sibling said. In time the good memories will overcome the painful ones and you'll smile thinking of your boy. He'll always be in your heart.

Rest well, Sherlock, and send your people a sign when you can. You'll have lots of friends at the bridge to show you the way. Say hi to Sweep for me.

:grouphug 

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Hugs. Just hugs. You made Sherlock's last day a gift for both of you, and those are the memories that in time will turn your tears into smiles. :grouphug

Godspeed Sherlock. Such a good boy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

23 minutes ago, mjmcmurray said:

We never get enough time with them. Since the photo I want to share is too large to attach, you can see my sweet boy at this Google Drive link. From his last trip to the park :heart

Gorgeous boy. :heart 

My condolences to you and all who knew and loved Sherlock. You gave him a wonderful and full life full of love and kindness. Rest well beautiful boy.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

I am so sad and sorry to read this post.  Take comfort in knowing that your boy is at peace and pain free.  He's running once again with the wind.

Don't be sad.jpg

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

On 11/1/2022 at 10:14 AM, mjmcmurray said:

We never get enough time with them. Since the photo I want to share is too large to attach, you can see my sweet boy at this Google Drive link. From his last trip to the park :heart

I am so sorry for your loss. I know he was welcomed across the bridge by all of the wonderful hounds who have bravely gone before him. He’s a beautiful boy and I love the white tip of his tail. Rest well, Sherlock. 

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

What a beautiful boy. It's great you managed to get such a nice last day with him, we didn't have such luck and it will make me be more conservative with the end in future. Definitely a day too early than a day too late. 

Ten months on and our hearts still ache, but such is the love and loss of a hound! Take care of yourselves.

We complete our sixth and final round of chemo today! We go back in December for X-rays and every three months thereafter. This girl is a champ. 

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

3 minutes ago, gracegirl said:

We complete our sixth and final round of chemo today! We go back in December for X-rays and every three months thereafter. This girl is a champ. 

I have it on good authority that you have very cute pictures of your girl from today. :rules 

Also: way to go, Tessie! 

I cannot for the life of me get the photos to post here. When I select the smallest size, it’s telling me that it’s still too big. Believe me, I’ve tried! 

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, Emmy has been diagnosed with os in her jaw. Our first step is X-rays for her lungs. I don’t know what our second step is yet , but I want to do some research first and D Google hasn’t been too helpful. Isn’t there a fairly new protocol for treatment since we aren’t going to opt for surgery.  the prognosis is alway the same and the time left is always too short.

Emmy is going in for X-rays, then I will request a consult with Dr. Couto. Does anyone have a link to his info? I’m too emotionally drained to search.

thank you

Jan

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross