Unclear Diagnosis, Opinions Welcome.

Guest bredlo

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She really looks great! Go Nell!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

She reminds me of Pinky, who also had a bald behind in winter after her amp in the month of November :heart

After she came home she accepted my help with getting around outside for about 2 or 3 days and then she was running too fast for me to keep up with her so I'd knock it off :lol They are so headstrong and wanting their independence with certain things. They're very determined and soon you'll be able to just take Nell for a walk just like you used to when she had 4 legs. :)

Pinky did pee a lot more for the first few days after she came home - they are chock full of fluids while they're in the hospital so they have plenty to let out. She is also ridding her body of the fluid in the remaining leg and she will urinate some of that out as well. :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest LazyBlaze

:wub: She really is doing wonderfully. It's great that she's eating well too, hopefully she can get herself up to full strength soon. What a sweetheart, I just want to give her a big hug.

She looks awesome!!! Thanks for the update.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Little update:

Well, last night Nell slept through the night without a peep, without drugs, and even without going out to pee before bed.

However as today wore on, she became increasingly anxious; I must've taken her out for ten "false alarms" in a four hour period.

We began noticing blood coming from her suture - first just a pinpoint from one, then another, and eventually they turned into little streams. I assumed I wasn't picking her up carefully enough, but as we began losing control of the flow of blood it became obvious something was wrong, and that the area around the stitches was swelling quickly.

We took her to the ER vet and a wonderful young vet and her assistant spent about a half hour draining dark, watery fluid from underneath the stitches. They took slides and found evidence of bacteria, unfortunately. They prescribed most of the meds we'd just finished over the weekend. Hopefully things will calm down now. Thankfully, the other spot we were worried about back there is slowly clearing up and our surgeon wasn't concerned after seeing photos spanning a few days.

Before and after photos of today's drama attached for educational purposes.

nell.drain1.jpg

nell.drain2.jpg

nell.drain3.jpg

Edited by bredlo

It may be too late for this, but strongly suggest you culture that bacteria so you know you are using the appropriate antibiotic. As mentioned previously, amp infections can get pretty serious and given that you already had to have more tissue removed due to the site of the cancer, you really don't want to have to deal with this surgically. It's so much smarter to culture the bacteria so you know what you're dealing with.

Continued good thoughts for your beautiful girl.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It may be too late for this, but strongly suggest you culture that bacteria so you know you are using the appropriate antibiotic...

Thanks for the suggestion! They did, in fact, take two vials of blood (one early as they were draining it and another towards the end) to test the bacteria beyond the slides they looked at while we waited. I believe we'll have an answer in several more days, and I'll report back.

Speaking of after the fact, the pathologist's exam of Nell's tumor confirmed it was indeed Osteo.

Thanks for the suggestion! They did, in fact, take two vials of blood (one early as they were draining it and another towards the end) to test the bacteria beyond the slides they looked at while we waited. I believe we'll have an answer in several more days, and I'll report back.

Speaking of after the fact, the pathologist's exam of Nell's tumor confirmed it was indeed Osteo.

Excellent on the culture and :( on the path. I know in the end you already knew what you were dealing with, but it still hurts to hear the official diagnosis.

That is a bit messy but am glad she has antibiotics to help clear this up. I like so many of us here am totally in love with your girl. Continued good thoughts for Nell and you guys.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

We belong to the osteo club too, only our lab/pyr cross is the member. We're not going for amputation, just stereotactic radiation and chemo. In my readings I came across a few studies that indicated that infection at the amp site provoked an immune response that often prolonged survival time, sometimes greatly so! I hope Nell kicks the infection soon though. What a trooper! Both of your gals are lovely. Really enjoyed ALL of your videos (including the little engine that still could!).

While infections DO indeed suck, some say that pups who have a post-op infection and recover have a better/longer survival time. It is thought that having to fight the infection gives the immune system the kick it needs to fight cancer cells. Whether there is real empirical evidence to substantiate that I'm not certain, but, Twiggy is a prime example of a dog who survived a NASTY infection and here she is 2.5 years later and still doing well.

I bet Nell will be more comfortable now with that stuff drained! :)

Lol sorry hadn't read Spottydog's post close enough before I posted! But hey that means I'm not the only one that has heard that ;)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Thanks all for the continued warm thoughts and loving posts. If Nell weren't already flush everyplace else, I'm sure I'd see her blushing at all the compliments.

I've had to to quite a lot of draining of this abscess, so it's a good thing I was paying attention at the vet the other night. I typically get what seems to be about a half a cup every 6 or so hours - and is changing consistency now to resemble blood... rather than previously when it was more like soy sauce. Apologies if any of you were planning to have Chinese take-out tonight.

It's awfully encouraging to hear this may actually help in the long run -- if this theory could be reasonably proven with a larger study... it's hard to imagine vets wouldn't consider intentionally causing mild infections as part of a wholistic plan to keep them alive longer.

What a mess in the meantime, though. Diluted chlorhexadine keeps things sterile on the wound, but I'm chasing her around with paper towels and scrubbing little droplets off the carpet. And still overjoyed to have her to chase around. :)

Other health tidbits:

- bringing back the antibiotics = bringing back the diarrhea. Thankfully there's no rawness any longer on her behind, and it doesn't seem to be nearly as uncomfortable for her.

- bruising around the abscess is increasing: I'd bet it's partly due to the amount of weight she puts on the sling when we're outside.

- Pain meds seem to be working great. Very little whining, and she has more or less slept through the past couple nights.

- The rash we were concerned about early on is slowly drying up and flaking off. The ER vet is the only one who's seen it in person, and she wasn't concerned.

All in all, we're mostly on cruise control: celebrating improvement, concentrating on getting back on our schedule, and being vigilant when progress slows down.

Big hugs from Nell (she'd ignore your dogs and head straight for you!)

:)

nell.backend1.jpg

nell.backend2.jpg

Edited by bredlo