Unclear Diagnosis, Opinions Welcome.

Guest bredlo

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so good to read your update and I hope her recovery continues to go well. As others have stated, initially it will be tough but Nell will surprise you especially now the pain is gone. Tripods take on different personalities and a 'joie de vivre', it just takes a bit of time. Nell is beautiful.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest LazyBlaze

:grouphug to you as you embark on this new chapter. I'm so pleased the op went went well and that Nell came through it okay. She really is a beautiful girl, and I hope you have many happy days ahead with her.

So glad things seem to be going well. The minute you mentioned Dr. Robbins, I knew you were at the Specialty Clinic in Buffalo Grove!! The best place ever. They saved our Dalmatians life 13 years ago. He has since passed but they gave us a great 2 extra years. Dr. Robbins use to take care of the animals at the Shedd Aquarium.. He and his wife are phenomenal vets.God bless and keep us posted...

I swear, the way this story unfolded, it seems that fate....karma....the universe.....something out there decided that it was just not her time to go.

Best wishes to the lovely Nell; may her recovery be swift, and the rest of her time full of life & love.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Thanks everyone for the continued well wishes! This is an extremely happy and calming place to be.

Newgreymom, actually we're just 5 minutes from the Buffalo Grove clinic, but because Dr. Robbins was at Furnetics (near UIC) on Thursday and time was of the essence, we took her there. I'm sure follow-up visits will be up north near us.

We're about 32 hours in, and Nell is still considered to be in critical condition. There's bruising all the way up the chest and swelling everywhere, apparently. They are "concerned", as they put it - but not overly so. The precautionary medicines mentioned earlier in the thread to combat the well-known blood issues were administered all along, so hopefully they'll take effect and stabilize the situation.

All that said, they have weaned her off sedation and she's only running on pain meds. They said she had a "freak out" last night but has been emotionally stable all day today, and even stepped outside for a bit with two helpers. My feelings are that:

1) she's in the best place in the world to make it through these first days. I'm fairly certain the Saturday checkout is off the table now, though.

2) she's doing far better than I would be, if I woke up to find someone had taken a leg and half my pelvis without consulting me!

For now, they've asked us to hold off visiting to prevent any anxiousness, and we completely agree. We'll continue to monitor things from home, and I'll let you know as things return to normal during the coming days.

Since photos are more fun than text, I'll include another photo from Wednesday's mini-session on the front porch.

​Thanks again for all the love and support, everybody.

nell-bw.sm.jpg

Edited by bredlo

There's bruising all the way up the chest and swelling everywhere, apparently... For now, they've asked us to hold off visiting to prevent any anxiousness, and we completely agree.

Yes, this was our experience too. The surgeons wouldn't let me visit Henry the day after his surgery. They told me point blank, "You don't want to see him this way." If finances allow, it's best that she stay in the hospital for these first few days.

Thanks for keeping all of us updated! :) Love the B&W photo, absolutely beautiful.

Guest blueberri

Sending prayers for rapid healing and adjustment, and peace for you all as you move towards recovery. What a strong lass Nell must be!!! I'm so glad there was a chance for her to survive this, and I pray all goes well. I see threads like these and am amazed at the grace with which so many dogs "bounce back" and continue on.

Much loves and scritches to both your hounds, and hugs to the hoomans :) It sounds like she is in excellent hands, at the vets and at home.

Continued good thoughts for Nell. Bruising and swelling is normal and in some pups it's worse than others and it will take a bit of time for the body to absorb it all.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Little update, folks.

Unfortunately, today doesn't appear to have been a good day, Neighsayer. We've made two calls (trying not to bug the staff) and still haven't visited. The swelling and edema is worse now than it was yesterday or this morning. She's eating very little, but has emptied herself regularly. The swelling is located mostly in the rear leg, and they're compressing it to try and get the fluid into the torso since blood flow is less constricted in that area and I presume dissipates more quickly. I didn't get a sense of fear or that they're trying to prepare us for the worst, of course.... but my wife is understandably a wreck. Nell is in the middle of the nurse's station and getting lots of attention, but we could clearly hear her howling in the background - as badly as we've ever heard her sound. "Concerned" is still the mood of the day for everyone we've spoken to.

I've been busy with work - trying to take advantage of not being a babysitter as I've been for weeks, so I haven't taken any time to explore the forums to gauge how "normal" this is. Suffice it to say, we're a bit sick to our stomachs and hoping they can reduce her pain along with these side effects.

I pray we're still within the normal scope of post-op experiences here - 53 hours into recovery - and will try and browse some other threads later tonight.

For now, we can only wait, and hope her cries are met with more medications and a bit of relief.

:cry1

Guest LazyBlaze

Just good wishes for Nell, and for you both. I'm holding you in my thoughts; you must be worried sick. She is bound to be sore the brave girl, but she is in the right place and getting good care. We are all pulling for her.

:grouphug

You might want to check what pain medicines she's on. Some work well for greyhounds and some make a greyhound frantic and very anxious. Might also just not be enough pain meds and that could cause anxiousness.

I hope tomorrow fares better.

Might I also suggest that they do a consult with Dr. Couto again...

Edited by MaryJane