Unclear Diagnosis, Opinions Welcome.

Guest bredlo

Guest LazyBlaze

She looks so happy! Well done to you guys, you really are doing a terrific job of caring for her. Her wound looks like it is getting there, so I really hope that the infection has been kicked into touch. It's a massive improvement from last week - slowly slowly catchy monkey...

Thanks for keeping us updated; I am continuing to send good thoughts for Nell's recovery through the ether! She is a darling.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great update! So happy everything is going well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest grey_dreams

She is just lovely :heart Glad to hear the infection is getting so much better. The vet might decide to continue the antibiotics for a bit longer; in a case like this, it is likely better to give too much rather than not enough. But things are definitely moving in the right direction! Give her a kiss for me.

Guest bredlo

On one of the first mild days since her surgery, Nell seized the opportunity to spend extra time outside today... by pretending she urgently had to pee, but then soaking in some sunshine.

I happily played along, letting her enjoy herself even while encouraging a bit of exercise - to no avail. :)

Edited by bredlo

Guest bredlo

She is so beautiful.

The snow is so glaaaarey, dad! Best to close my eyes and soak in the sun :beatheart :beatheart

She looks so happy to be soaking up the sun!

We finally got and about a bit today too - about time!

Indeed. While Nina is more interested in the tangible things of life (food, comfortable napping spots, treats), Nell is our contemplative, sunshine girl. A thinker.

In fact, of all the little, seemingly inconsequential things that came so strongly to me as we inched towards euthanasia - the fact Nell wouldn't be able to spend her final days in warmth and comfort somehow seemed the most cruel. One of the few times I truly sobbed like a baby during those days, was crouched next to her in the snow... her head just hanging in defeat, waiting to be carried back inside.

We're deeply grateful that - as in past years - we'll watch her little personality blossom once more as spring comes.

Edited by bredlo

Guest bredlo

Thanks all for the complements. :)

Nell had a 5 week checkup today, and aced all her tests. All stitches were removed, as there's (practically) no bleeding left. The pressure sore on that sharp, back pelvic bone is still somewhat open - so it will continue to receive Manuka. Melissa gently cleans the whole region twice a day to keep everything sterile, while Nell soaks in the attention.

We are to continue with the pair of MRSA-specific antibiotics for several more weeks, as well as Gabapentin and Rimadyl for discomfort (though she displays none). We weaned her off Hydromorphone a while ago. She'll will have at least one more visit with the original surgeon in another 2 or 3 weeks, but everyone who's seen her has said progress is what they expect.

So that's the latest: happily uneventful, beyond my desire to eventually sleep upstairs in my own bed again, one day. :) Our schedule just isn't quite there yet, as Nell 2.0 seems to enjoy popping up at 4:30 AM and dragging her cone along the baby gates... a maneuver I liken to a prisoner rattling his cup against the bars. "Lemmie outta here, warden!"

We'll be back to normal eventually, and in the meantime I'll try and enjoy Nell's impression of Pacino.

At-ti-ca! At-ti-ca!

nell.3.12.14.jpg

She looks great and that is a great update! Are you pursuing Chemo for Nell?

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:yay Nell :yay The applause is for all of you. She looks *amazing* because of everything you have done for her. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest bredlo

Thanks peeps. :D

She looks great and that is a great update! Are you pursuing Chemo for Nell?

Thanks for askin'. We haven't talked much about it; I'm not against the idea -- if it would help extend her life, I think we're both open to considering it.

I'll research those threads on this site, though until this infection is completely eradicated it's not even on the table yet, in the opinion of one of our vets. I do have a couple references for good oncologists, if and when the time comes for a consultation.