Guest bredlo

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is absolutely adorable!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bredlo

Hi all,

Nell is healing beautifully, and we have you all to thank for your calm encouragement and love since we began this journey in early Feb.

We've unfortunately slipped into a pattern of living downstairs full time (originally to save my back from those 3 AM walks) and even though we can now hold it through the night... the little princess has decided she prefers having the whole living room to sprawl out in. I'll continue be on the couch for a while more in exchange for no whining all night. :sleepy

Meanwhile, Nell is walking on her own with accelerated frequency: standing up and laying down a dozen times a day, and hopping down the sidewalk to find an inspirational place to do her business.

By the end of next week we should have our last appointment with the surgeon out of the way, and - ideally - a clean bill of health. Then we can consider chemotherapy, and generally get back to normal.

Like the old cartoon of the singing frog, once the camera is rolling you don't get much of a show. She did agree to share a few hops though, and sends her love.

We love Nell :wub: Thank you for this wonderful update.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

She is a stunning girl and am so happy she is doing well! We know all about sleeping arrangements in this kind of situation. I think we were almost 4 weeks on the floor with Charlie.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So happy to see a new video of beautiful Nell. She doesn't have to do anything to take my breath away :wub:

We moved downstairs late last year to cater to our old gal who can no longer manage a flight of stairs and refuses to be carried up them. We've gotten used to it and it's a small price to pay in the long run. Hugs to you for all you've done for your girl.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

She looks so happy to be soaking in the sunshine! What a beautiful girl she is.

I know all too well about the sleeping downstairs bit. Twiggy hasn't wanted to do stairs since Aug. 1, so I've been living/sleeping in my poorly-lit, no-plumbing downstairs room. For the first couple month, I had to fit all 5'10" of me on a loveseat to sleep! I finally bought a used Ikea pull-out loveseat so I can un-scrunch my legs. The benefit has been that Twiggy (after 6 years of believing that dogs do not belong on people furniture), now climbs in bed and snuggles with me! So I'm counting that as a win!

Good luck with your upcoming vet visit(s)!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bredlo

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you all know Nell has passed the two month mark in a figurative - and literal - swift trot. She's enjoying not only vastly improved weather here in Chicago... but also her increasingly steady footing. Seeing her amble around during the last few days makes it seem as though she's been practicing in her dreams; she moves with total confidence and ease, even doing her famous, joyful body slams into us when we jog alongside her.

Domestically, we're all sleeping upstairs once again, and while I might forever carry her up and down the lone flight of stairs, it's a low-strain 2 or 3 roundtrips per day. Furthermore, it's a different enough maneuver from everything else she does that I don't see it disrupting her sense of independence. For example, she still hops up and down the two steps from the house to the driveway without a thought. Everything feels pretty close to the expected 'new normal', and we're thrilled.

On walks, I do still keep the sling in my pocket; being that she's a very strong-willed girl, it's useful for turning her around and tugging her towards home. Even after a good 20 minute family walk around the block this morning - as soon as we reached the final turn, she applied the "parking brake" - refusing to go any further. It's a very charming and a bit sad, closing her eyes and bows her head in peaceful protest. After a few minutes we get a good laugh out of kneeling down and pretending to bargain with her; softly whispering about treats, peanut butter, or promises of extra chicken in her kibble. It's like negotiating with any hostage-taker: sometimes it works, other times... well, there's always the sling. ;)

Working on more little videos showing the vast improvements. In the meantime, here are the personalities we're treated to every morning at the front door: Ms. Thrill... and Ms. Chill.

front.door.jpg

Edited by bredlo

Good girl, Nell.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

She looks great! Did you decide to do Chemo?

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.