Unclear Diagnosis, Opinions Welcome.

Guest bredlo

Thanks MaryJane,

We have about 12 steps in the house, but they're steep and all in one run. I sensed back in December that Nell wasn't as comfortable with them, and have carried her up / down since then. Also, for a couple years now I haven't let either dog jump out of our SUV either; at 9 and 10, it's not worth the strain when it's so easy to set them down. Thankfully, they haven't taken Dad, the Human Elevator for granted.

When loading, we've taught them to pop their front feet on the bumper, and I raise up back half (as when loading furniture). All this may sound overly cautious, but it keeps the cumulative jarring landings to a minimum - and they get lots of exercise on level ground. I suspect we'll continue our car and stairs routine for the remainder of their lives, which so far my lower back is still agreeable to. ;)

In addition, we're restoring a 1950's Airstream and station wagon. Later this year, the four of us plan on taking an extended (6-12 month) tour of state / national parks, and more dog-friendly environments too. (We may look into promoting them to service animals at some point - wouldn't hurt anybody). A big part of our heartbreak when considering euthanizing Nell was the prospect of not having her along during our big road trips; they adore long rides, and I'm hoping that with just one step in and out of the trailer (and a bed which about 18" high) the girls will retain their dignity and independence, while we'll have peace of mind for a long time to come.

I haven't delved into the Osteo threads yet, but absolutely will. I can't fathom the number of tips and suggestions we'll find useful.

Edited by bredlo

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad, another thing I just thought of.....when she comes home she will most likely try to get back to her usual routine immediate and actually try things she's not ready for. An example, my Diamond, first day home tried to take the 6 stairs down to the back yard. She didn't wait for me and JUMPED!! She lost a front leg and I thought for sure she just broke her one remaining front leg. She didn't and decided the ramp I built for her was a better way to get down to the yard.

So keep a sharp eye on her, you may have to chase her around the house.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I think of that sweet face every day, and pray for her every night.

How about a ramp for the suv? I got one (from Foster-Smith) when Desi had lost the use of one rear leg (nasty big clot)

He took to it famously, and has used it ever since, even though he's completely recovered. At 80 lb....no way could I ever

hope to pick him up. I know you feel young & bulletproof, but sometimes a spine can give you grief just because it can.

Smooches to your lovely Nell.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest grey_dreams

Glad to hear she's feeling better today. Hopefully she can come home soon. For the first days/week, if possible, you might consider sleeping downstairs with her :)

Guest Greysonsmom

I saw your post for the first time tonight, and I just had to pop in and express how lucky I think Nell and Nina are to have such a loving family. It's really very amazing how Nell's treatment fell in to place. Answered prayers, I would say. I haven't had this experience, but worry about my boy, as he had quite a long racing career.

If you are on Facebook, you may want to check out this page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jakeys-Journey/1434918143408396. As many have said here, it seems like Jake Had a rough couple of weeks, but seems to be doing very well now. I love seeing his progress, and hope the same for your Nell.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. Being a greyhound owner is like being a part of a community. I have met and "talked" to the most amazing, kind, and supportive people. The outpouring of love and support is incredible. As if we weren't lucky enough to be caretakers of these beautiful animals. What a beautiful added benefit! :beatheart

Guest Doggone

I, too, have just read this thread and want to send the best wishes for an easy, speedy recovery for Nell. And now that the emotional roller coaster ride is hopefully ending, my best wishes to you and your wife for a lengthy, carefree, relaxing time to enjoy Nell and her sister.

:)

I'm sorry I haven't been able to jump in here before, but I am so glad to hear that things are looking up for Nell! She is a beautiful girl, and a real trooper.

Usually, I think hind-leg amps are less traumatic than front-leg amps (which include removal of the scapula), but in Nell's case with the pelvectomy, I think her surgery is very comparable to a front-leg surgery, so it is logical to expect more pain, bruising, edema, etc.

The "freak-out" the hospital described may be what Twiggy had for a couple weeks post-op - she would start to stand up and then rear up on her hind legs and scream, scream, scream. (this happened several times during the 6-hour car ride home from OSU - it was a very good thing I knew to expect it). I think these are at least as much from surprise/fear/shock of trying to stand and suddenly without warning having a leg missing, versus being from pain.

I also highly recommend putting together a calendar for Nell's med schedule when she comes home. Also, double-check the discharge instructions for meds vs. the bottle labels. I had several disconnects there and had to clarify. You also might want to get a pill cutter (I finally got one a few month ago, and it's great!). Meds are so tricky the first week or so - so many pills, and some have to be given together, some not near each other, some with/without food, etc. It was quite the task to get everything sorted out.

Also as mentioned, Nell may try to do things that you (and she) aren't prepared for. When we were leaving OSU, I was trying to figure out how to lift her into the car, and was standing there with the car door open scratching my head, when Twiggy leapt into the back seat, graceful as ever!

There really is something special about osteo tripods - they just do become something so much bigger than before. I've often referred to post-amp Twiggy as Twiggy+. She is still absolutely herself, but continually bigger and more than ever (almost 2.5 years' worth of bigger and more now!).

I see you are in Buffalo Grove. We are kinda-sorta neighbors - I'm in Wicker Park in Chicago. Maybe you adopted your girls through GO or Midwest? If so, we may have met at a reunion in the past few years!

Both Nell and Nina are beautiful girls. I love your photography, too. You really capture their beauty.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Greysonsmom - thanks for that link! Doggone, Grey_dreams, DesiRay and everyone, thanks for checking in on us. We feel very loved. Sleeping downstairs for a while is a great idea.

Twiggy's Mom, that is great on-the-ground advice - we know that ride from Ohio well, and I can't imagine the additional stress of a screaming Whack-a-Mole game in the backseat. One of us will lay back there with her during our trip home from UIC. We were in Evanston for twelve years and moved up north about a year ago. Both our girls are from GO - we've been involved with them on and off for 6 years, helping at hauls and attending reunions, so... hi neighbor!

I love your Twiggy signature photo - I've played around with sequence shots as well and will include a few below. Awfully fun when they turn out well!

Quick update here:

We went down to visit Nell again, and she's 150% better. Edema went from "severe" yesterday morning to mild last night, though they wrapped her front legs to keep it from migrating too far forward. We may have her back as soon as today. She was bright, pain-free and I had to quickly settle her down as soon as she saw us come around the corner. She stayed propped on her elbows and silently nuzzled us for several minutes. Then, seemingly overwhelmed with relief - she collapsed with a big thud and slept while we petted her.

The wound looks pretty shocking at first, they took a LOT of her pelvis. However, the stitches looked clean, puffiness was down, and even the nasty clunk on her head wasn't as bad as I expected. She gobbled Bil-Jacs, and the nurses said they'd give her probiotic greek yogurt later, which she adores.

All good news. I'll call over there later this morning and see what their take is on her today - but I'm feeling very optimistic that her mood, physiology, appetite and pain are all heading in the right direction.

nell.pink1.JPG

Edited by bredlo

:thumbs-up for a good report...hopefully Nell can come home today.

Fabulous photos...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest elizabeth7418

Even though I don't post a lot on here, I've been keeping up with your story. I am SO glad that Nell is doing better. Both of your girls are amazingly lucky to have you and your wife as parents.

Now for a somewhat "creepy" comment...I actually have the picture of Nina and Nell from your signature saved on my phone. I was looking for pictures of greyhound snoods so that a friend of mine could knit Addy one (I wanted to send her an example). I came across your picture of the girls in my search and loved not just the snoods that they're wearing but how lovely the picture is. When I started following this thread, I was quite surprised to see the picture! Both of your girls are gorgeous. :)

Guest grey_dreams

Glad to hear she's continuing to improve so well. It's certain that she will be very happy to be home. Hopefully soon :grouphug

Your photos are awesome!

I am SO glad to hear this latest update! It really sounds like Nell has turned a corner. Hopefully she can be back home with you in the next day or so.

To be forewarned, the bruising will get worse, not better for about a week (you should get oral Amicar tablets to help with that). The edema/swelling, too (icing/massage can help with that). However, if she seems to be backsliding pain/comfort-wise, get that checked out. Twiggy had a very heavy bandage on when she was discharged and the instructions were to get it changed in 7 days or sooner if there was any discharge that soaked through. The bandage remained dry, but Twiggy was clearly experiencing increasing, not decreasing, pain after a couple days. I was told that she shouldn't be feeling more pain, but I could increase her meds. When her bandage change was due, it turned out that she had a life-threatening infection in her suture line. Thankfully, a vac-therapy bandage requiring a 5-day local hospital stay cured it, but it was really scary. (a side note - some schools of thought say that infection actually improves survival rates, and here she is about 2.5 years post, so who am I to argue with that?)

Your time-series photos are amazing! Is Nell actually dark brindle? I thought she was black, but the beach shots make me think otherwise. Actually, if it weren't for the 4 legs, I would think that was Twiggy running along the beach. (which beach is that, anyway? I go to Montrose, but that looks like a different beach). For reference, here is a link to some of Twiggy's beach adventures (ok, shameless plugs for my girl, but you can see that being a tripod does not slow a good hound down - fyi, T was clocked at 37 mph 1 month post-amp and in the midst of iv-chemo!):

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/299962-how-to-spend-a-day-at-the-beach/?hl=twiggy%26%2339%3Bs

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/301322-small-dog-surprised-by-sea-monster-in-lake-michigan/?hl=twiggy%26%2339%3Bs&do=findComment&comment=5572829

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/291452-twiggys-birthday-beach-day/?hl=twiggy

I know I’m going really off-topic here, but I just love your photography and editing. I know I can’t copy your talent, but I’m wondering what photo-editing you use? I just got a new (custom-built, fairly high-end laptop) that should be able to handle some decent graphics programs, and I’d really appreciate a nudge in the right direction!

I’m looking forward to more good Nell updates!

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Well, our girl is home.

The downside:

- there's a small but steady case of diarrhea that they warned us about. We hope now that she's on oral meds - and the food she's used to - we'll be back to normal soon.

- in the meantime, it's causing her quite a bit of discomfort. That whole area is very raw and sensitive, so we're cleaning as gently as we can with warm water, and then using a cream similar to Desitin.

The upside:

- she just peed for the first time in our care a few minutes ago. I was thrilled to see her squat - the vets said they'd needed to press her abdomen to make her go for the past few days.

- there is near constant whining, but I don't think it's due to the incision. I bet when the diarrhea is cleared up, the crying will stop.

- the only remaining edema is minimal, and skin color is almost normal.

- sutures and stitches look good too!

- most importantly, our girl WOLFED down a ton of her organic food and water. She's lost significant weight during the past month or two, and seeing her eat tonight felt like we were turning back the hands of time.

All in all, we're thrilled to have her home and begin the recovery in earnest. I have a feeling we'll have her for a long time to come: Twiggy's 2.5 years sounds amazing, we'd feel awfully fortunate to reach anything near that.

Elizabeth7418, Zoomies and TwiggysMom, so glad you enjoy the photos - thanks much! I think it has far more to do with having a photogenic breed than any talent of mine. I shoot with a Canon Rebel, which in Sport Mode takes enough photos per second to let me choose every other or third exposure. Then I combine everything in Photoshop: especially with Lake Michigan's waves in the background though - these sequence shots require lots of cloning, erasing and playing around to blend everything realistically. That's Evanston's dog beach, BTW.

Anyhow, that's it for tonight. I'll update you soon with her continual progress... and hugs to you all for helping us get this far. You're our angels.

nell.car1.jpg

nell.sofa.jpg

Edited by bredlo

Guest grey_dreams

So glad she's home. Her normal food, her own bed, and surrounded by her family will perk her up fast. Hope she continues her rapid recovery.

Edited by grey_dreams