Unclear Diagnosis, Opinions Welcome.

Guest bredlo

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is awesome she is home! And she looks fantastic. You will see as the days progress she will get better and surprise you. The whining can be related to meds as well and there can be a 'down' day but things are looking good and you will smile when you see your girl back to normal, without pain!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest LazyBlaze

Great update! Am so pleased Nell's home and her scar looks fantastic, very neat and tidy. I hope she gets some relief from her diarrhoea soon - fingers crossed being back home and into her more usual routine will help on that front. Hugs to you all, and continued good wishes for a speedy recovery.

Whoa! She really does look good (and I'm not just saying that). Henry was much more bruised and swollen when he first came home. By the way, Hen also had horrible, watery diarrhea for a few days. I think it was from a combination of anesthesia, pain meds, and eating a different type of dog food. I was wiping his bum with baby wipes until it cleared up. I am so glad to hear that Nell is home and eating! Very good news indeed. :yay

I bet she will sleep a lot :nod:) Pinky came home around 2pm the day after her surgery and I didnt hear anything from her except when she had to pee - she was passed out!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Update: Day 1 at home has gone as well as you could hope for, so far. Some highlights...

- Nell slept well through the night: we woke up about 3 times to her whining, each time seeming to be about her half-firm diarrhea, which surely made her behind more itchy and raw than it already is. It's been very tough to keep up with it, but compared with folks having to deal with oozing wounds and other problems... we're awfully grateful.

- Around 7AM (as I drove my mother-in-law to the train), Nell popped up without waking Melissa, turned around, and laid down in part of the mess from the night. Oh well.

- She didn't quite wolf down breakfast like last night's dinner... but picked out the canned beef chunks and left most of the kibble. Apparently, discriminating taste wasn't one of the things amputated last week. :chow

- There was quite a lot of whining up through lunchtime: we both knew it must be related to needing to go outside vs. the pain meds not working. After I made several excited offers (I wanted her to at least make an effort before carrying her outside for pointless trips) she finally popped up.

- It only takes her about 30 seconds to find her balance, at which point I ease up on the sling and she gains a little confidence.

- Hopping into deeper snow, she squatted about 10 times to completely empty herself. We were thrilled, and laying her on a big fluffy towel on the kitchen counter - gave her a bath using warm water from the hand sprayer. It was as comfortable as the process could be, and other than feeling her leg stiffen a bit when we're cleaning her, there are no vocal objections. She's such a good girl, and seems to want to give us as much latitude as possible - knowing we're just trying to help.

- She's now been running in her sleep for the past hour... chasing imaginary cats, squirrels, or perhaps vet technicians.

All told, she's relaxed and happy lying on either side, taking her meds well, wearing her cone at night without complaints, and Nina has approached several times to softly welcome her big sister home. As long as we're keeping everything on schedule and watching her cleanliness... all seems to be well. There'll be tough times ahead I'm sure - but right now the three of us feel like a million bucks.

nell.home.sm.jpg

Edited by bredlo

That is a real sweet photo of your girl.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest grey_dreams

Glad to hear that she is continuing to improve. Step by step. As others have mentioned, her GI issues should hopefully resolve after a couple more days or so. Glad to hear that she is finding her new balance, and gets lots of opportunities to be a princess :)

She is an absolute doll. Wishing you and Nell all the best.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I get teary with every one of your updates. She's such a beautiful girl and it's so clear how much you love her.

Thank you so much for keeping us updated on her wonderful progress :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest elizabeth7418

I get teary with every one of your updates. She's such a beautiful girl and it's so clear how much you love her.

Thank you so much for keeping us updated on her wonderful progress :)

Ditto. So glad she's doing well!

Seriously, I was almost afraid to scroll down to check out Nell's incision line........but it looks wonderful! Not nearly as bad

as I had imagined. So glad she's home where she belongs.

Smooches for Nell.........and some for Nina, too, in case she's feeling a little left out.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Thanks all.

DesiRayMom, I didn't know what to expect either. First time we saw her she was lying on it so we didn't get to inspect her.

I've always been a bit queasy around stuff like this, but I felt like this was done well and the fact it wasn't puffy or terribly painful for her makes it "a nothin" as my mom would say.

Nina sees your smooches and raises you one drippy nose.

They often prefer to lay on that side - it is a defense mechanism of sorts. I had to watch Pinky to make sure she didn't lay on that side too much because it would cause her stump to swell.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

At Day 2 @ home, it's been a bit of a mixed bag. I still consider it an overall progressive day though, here at 5 PM.

- Her stool is heading back towards normal, resulting in fewer cries in the night. They all seem to be about her behind needing attention. Thank god for puppy pads - letting us give her a fresh clean bed as often as she needs.

- There's still plenty of whining during the day too (maybe 15 minutes worth for every 60-90 minutes of sleeping), and again, it's almost always when she's got to go out. I really need to transition to the first floor... especially since once we're out side, she's wanted to explore further and further afield. This afternoon in chest deep snow, for example, Nell methodically hopped a good 40 yards into the neighbor's yard to poop. I then need to carry her back home - quite difficult in deep snow with a 60 lb. bag of potatoes. Oh well - once she's done her business.... all that "giddy up" just disappears. :)

- There's a decent sized spot of "road rash" near the back of the incision. It reminds me of the dots of white pus that formed in the days after you skinned your knee as a kid. We want to be careful not to let it fester though, and more importantly, it's preventing us from making her spend equal time with that side down. Photo attached - I suppose we'll use hydrogen peroxide and hope it dries up soon.

I apologize for the image being a little graphic: I presume everyone here who's been through it has seen this kind of thing... or worse.

- edema is practically gone: all 3 legs have their 95% normal boney-ness. :)

- still eating well, drinking like a fish, and taking her meds like a champ around the clock.

That's about it! Hoping to slowly give her more distance to cover on her own while standing. I promise to get some pictures of that as well, vs. endless portraits of a lounging invalid. ;)

day2a.jpg

day2b.jpg

day2c.jpg

Edited by bredlo