Unclear Diagnosis, Opinions Welcome.

Guest bredlo

It sounds like she's really doing very well. She is so lovely. :wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest grey_dreams

The suture line looks so clean. That irritated sore spot at the dorsal end of the suture line, was that there when you brought her home? If not, it might be good to send the image to your vet to have a look at. (I've never cared for an amp, just my two cents).

She is so incredibly beautiful :heart It sounds like she's doing very well. Hope her marvelous recovery continues rapidly :grouphug

I agree about consulting with your vet on the pus near the incision. Post-op infections aren't uncommon and can get very serious (some require a second surgery) so it's nothing to mess around with. In the meantime, I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxide to clean it. That's good for an initial wound cleaning, but after that it can actually lead to tissue death that prevents healing. A better option would be a chlor-hex solution if you happen to have it (generally you need to get that from your vet) or a diluted iodine solution (should be the color of weak tea).

I've been following along for a while now and even though I haven't posted, I've been rooting for you guys. I was out of town so I only say your x-rays after you had gotten the dx, but as soon as I saw them my heart sunk. I went through it with Neyla several years ago and sadly have become too acquainted with the sight of osteo on x-rays. :( Glad things are going well for you overall. Continued good thoughts.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

NeylasMom, thanks for the advice -- we haven't used anything other than warm water since this showed up yesterday. Thanks for the advice to skip hydrogen peroxide.

Grey_dreams, I don't recall if it was there when we picked her up - but if so... it's certainly worse now.

MP_the4pack, I'm sure you're right that it's a combo of things including meds.

We'll stay on top of all this little stuff so we can keep the good news coming! :)

Guest grey_dreams

I don't recall if it was there when we picked her up - but if so... it's certainly worse now.

Then you definitely need to let the vet know. Email the photo and follow-up with a phone call :grouphug

Wow, Nell looks amazing! I mean, I can hardly believe how good she looks - that incision line is amazing. I do agree that it would be good to check out that back bit (esp. since it is closest to her hind end and she had been having the GI issues, there could have been some bacteria introduced there).

As Jen said, infection s aren't all that uncommon (I think I mentioned Twiggy had to be hospitalized for 5 days for a serious post-op infection). If it does turn out to be infection, don't despair - there is a school of thought among oncologists (including Twiggy's) that infection during the op recovery phase may help increase survival rates (and here Twiggy is 2 days shy of 2.5 years survival, so who am I to argue?).

Also agree that you may want avoid peroxide. I believe the thought is that peroxide arbitrarily destroys tissue regardless of whether it is healthy or necrotic.

The meds certainly can cause whininess, but I know I'd be whining from a lot more than that right now if I were her - missing a leg and days' worth of tummy issues? I'd be one crabby girl! Is Nell on metronidazole? If not, that might help with the diarrhea.

She is an amazing girl, and aside from some fairly minor issues in the grand scheme of things, it looks like everything is going extremely well!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Like others, I've been following this thread and haven't commented much, but I just wanted to thank you for sharing this experience with us. I hope that the sore at the end of the incision isn't anything serious and that her recovery continues to proceed smoothly. Her incision looks amazing!

I have to say I was very curious what the post-op appearance would be as I don't think I've ever seen a dog who had a pelvectomy. Hopefully your story can also be a source of information for those considering all the options as well. I've heard vets tell owners that OSA in the hip like Nell's is 'inoperable'. While it is a technically more challenging procedure that is more invasive than a standard leg amputation, and it's understandably a procedure some may not want to pursue, it makes me sad that some people may not even be made aware that it's an option. From what you've posted so far, it sounds like the recovery is fairly similar to a standard amp.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

What a simply beautiful girl. She is doing great and I am so happy for you and her. Others have already chimed in about the possibly infection. Continued good thoughts for Nell.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Haven't heard back from the vet, but 12 hours later it looked like this and is getting better every time we check. We'll still keep on top of it of course - no sense making all this progress and then taking 2 steps back, though I'm intrigued that oncologists would say it may do some good.

Seems so counter-intuitive, but maybe it's akin to getting the chicken pox acting as a vaccination from getting it later.

Still following our script for meds day and night. We slept well last night, and have transitioned to the first floor until her schedule is back to normal. There's some whining still, but at least one or two of these meds expire tomorrow. We'll take it day by day - anyhow, she hasn't been inconsolable, just mildly annoyed; when I take her outside she quiets down, softly shivers... and happily studies squirrels through squinting eyes.

I'll attach another [gross] photo showing the improved view today. Objects may be larger than they appear. :)

nell.hind.JPG

So that I'm not ONLY posting images of injury and recovery... I'll include a couple silly videos of our girls if you find yourself bored. The second one (where they're in red bows) we shot on Black Friday a few years ago - the busiest day for Chicago's 'Magnificent Mile'. We wanted to provide shoppers with a counter-point to their shiny, new stuff: saving something of real value. It coincided with the closing of Dairyland in Wisconsin, creating a sudden flood of greys; we handed out over 500 informational slips that day, and coincidently, all those dogs were homed within a month or two.

Infection is extremely common in rear amps. As Wendy mentioned, the incision is closer to their rear end, exposing it to more bacteria. Henry had an abscess that looked very similar to what you're seeing with Nell. It started just like that, looking like "road rash." Scabby and black with blood. Then two holes opened up, and it began draining a lot a lot of pus and clear fluid. Henry's surgeon cultured it quick and changed his antibiotic to a combination of Cipro and Ampicillin. Then, I had to flush the area a few times a day with sterile gauze and chlorhexadine solution. It cleared up in less than a week. Hoping her doctor responds quickly before it turns into something worse. Infections in these guys can get real bad real fast. :goodluck

2nbzwpg.jpg

Guest grey_dreams

From the photos, it appears to not be clearing up on its own with the current antibiotics she is getting. Sure hope you can talk with the vet soon. Maybe also send the new photo.

I've also been in the bleachers cheering along for Nell :kiss2 and sending virtual support for Nina and you guys. And the bleachers will continue to be filled during your amazing journey together. What an inspiration. :heart

The holiday video depicts what must have been the biggest M&G ever, it's fantastic!! Thank you for looking out for the hounds.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I have to say I was very curious what the post-op appearance would be as I don't think I've ever seen a dog who had a pelvectomy. Hopefully your story can also be a source of information for those considering all the options as well. I've heard vets tell owners that OSA in the hip like Nell's is 'inoperable'. While it is a technically more challenging procedure that is more invasive than a standard leg amputation, and it's understandably a procedure some may not want to pursue, it makes me sad that some people may not even be made aware that it's an option...

Thank you so much for that, JJNg. We'd be honored if our experience leads to any solace for grey owners when facing this disease. We had Nell seen by one local, well-respected vet early in this process: he was very dismissive of our x-rays as NOT being cancer. Thankfully, because this was after emailing Dr. Couto, we knew better and declined the battery of additional tests he offered to perform. But it was a good lesson that it never hurts to have some theory about your dog's problem before taking any vet's word as gospel, and second (or third) opinions can mean all the difference.

Quick update on things here:

- We haven't heard back from our vet this weekend; however, the problem spot on her behind seems to be getting a bit smaller on its own - certainly no worse. We'll make sure to get an answer by tomorrow morning, regardless. It sounds like nothing to take too lightly based on your collective advice.

- Last night little Nell slept from midnight to 8AM. I was over the flipping moon to get a full night's sleep. :D

- She began partially getting herself up and walking around the carpeted living room yesterday.... but by this morning she was fully standing and lying down completely on her own, and walking down one step to go out the front door. She loves standing on the porch (even though it's in the 30's), which has resulted in several false alarms throughout yesterday and today. Mostly though, the outdoor excursions are read - and she'll do her business in deep snow while I run alongside - holding up her back half with one hand... and the D-ring between her shoulder blades with the other.

- Stitches are slowly untying by themselves, but everything is holding steady with nothing more than a tiny dot of blood here and there. They oughta be coming out anyhow this week, if I remember correctly.

- Appetite is fantastic, and drinking lots of water - her stool is still a little bit softer than we'd like, but we're not worried at all about dehydration as things are "firming up" a little every day. Plus, two meds expired over the past 24 hours, another sign of progress.

That's about it. Lots of progress, with some frustration with the number of times I'm having to take her out. I'm falling behind with computer work! But in the end, I'm beyond grateful that there's a little, beautiful being still standing here, wanting my attention... and excited about the world.

nell.stand1.jpg

nell.standing2.jpg

I have been following this closely and I admire your family's strength, courage and love for beautiful Nell :beatheart

Nell, you look wonderful :kiss2 Continued thoughts and prayers for you and your precious girl.

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina