Unclear Diagnosis, Opinions Welcome.

Guest bredlo

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow, that did turn into a pretty nasty infection! Did you get the results of the culture back?

As for post-op infections actually being helpful to long term recovery, the jury's out on that one. But the osteo vaccine at Penn, which is a strain of listeria designed to trigger a specific immune response, works much in the same way. And the dogs in the trial are all doing really well- the original ones are 200+ days post-amp with no cancer in sight.

Great update!

As to the droplets, I learned after Aquitaine's oral hemmoraghing this summer -- those Oxy Clean commercials are not kidding! That stuff really, really works. There was blood everywhere on the rug, and then on the antique silk chair because she rubbed her face on it. That silk took a beating between the blood and the scrub brush with Oxy but you cannot tell that there was a CSI episode in my apartment. The spray bottle version could be your best friend!

Gentle hugs to your babies.

Hoping her doctor responds quickly before it turns into something worse. Infections in these guys can get real bad real fast. :goodluck

That's a truly prophetic statement that came true in the past 24 hours, unfortunately. :(

I've never seen anything move so fast... it was like a bad horror movie. When I woke up yesterday, her "butt cheek" was twice its normal size and filled with blood. A tiny leak allowed me to gently massage it all out until the abscess was empty. I then put Melissa in charge and went off to a critique group for a couple hours.

Within a couple hours a quarter-sized scab had fallen off, white pus began to spread over the whole area, and then - like acid - began dissolving everything around it. By last night another leak had sprung near the middle of the suture - as the original problem area towards her front was closing up.

Despite Nell being a trooper and sleeping through the night without complaints... it's obvious that having all this tissue exposed near her genitals isn't safe.

We called the vet who'd drained the abscess earlier in the week and emailed a couple photos to her. She also confirmed that the cultures came back as two, much stronger forms of bacteria. So unfortunately, what we've been using all week likely hasn't done any good. We may now be faced with six weeks of Sulfamethoxazole with Trimet, as well as Clindamycin - each with several possible side effects.

I'm sure everything will ultimately be fine... but was secretly hoping Nell would become the poster girl for quick recoveries. I don't think that's in the cards anymore.

nell.newproblem1.jpg

nell.newproblem2.jpg

nell.newproblem3.jpg

nell.newproblem4.jpg

Edited by bredlo

Oh dear sweet Nell :(. I haven't posted since my initial post, but have checked in numerous times every day to follow Nell's surgery and recovery. I pray that this infection can be gotten under control and if there be any bright spot to it, it be that it give her a better chance to fight the cancer.

I just want to add to consider using Manuka honey to fight the infection along with the antibiotics. There have been numerous studies proving the efficacy of this honey to not only heal wounds, but successfully fight even antibiotic strains of bacteria. I've used Manuka honey from the health food store on a pretty nasty infection with great success. There is a medical grade of Manuka honey available however from Dermasciences called Medihoney that you can get through Amazon.

http://www.dermasciences.com/products/advanced-wound-care/medihoney/inside-the-u-s/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002ALQB6O?cache=eac54c47489c5e6c9b438b6c6e1dbddb&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70#ref=mp_s_a_1_13&qid=1393178097&sr=8-13

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_box_?k=Medihoney

You might also ask about giving her Flagyl along with the rest of the meds to help with diarrhea that she might get from the new antibiotics.

Poor kiddo...lots of hugs to you and your sweet girl.

(Is she wearing her snood for warmth or is it serving as a sort of Bite-not collar so she won't try to lick?)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Oh goodness!! That's horrible! I second IV antibiotics before it gets any worse. ETA, the Flagyl is definitely a good idea for a dog who has to be on ABX for that long. I did Flagyl and Forti-Flora for Henry to combat the diarrhea caused by the ABX.

Edited by a_daerr

Guest grey_dreams

Yikes. See, the thing is that the bacteria colonize the entire area under the skin and through the muscle. The scabs and spots you can see on the surface are just the tip of the iceberg. This all likely manifested as the initial spot just dorsal to the suture line. But it quickly invades the entire region until the correct antibiotic gets it under control. Another voice for IV antibiotics to get it under control faster, before it has a chance to spread to the point of more generalized sepsis. Hoping this will indeed be the silver lining to help Nell kick cancer's butt. Sending continued prayers for a rapid recovery from here forward.

I just want to add to consider using Manuka honey to fight the infection... There is a medical grade of Manuka honey available however from Dermasciences called Medihoney that you can get through Amazon.

Thanks so much for the suggestion - never heard of it but it sounds natural and apparently effective! Thank you.

Yikes. Will they be able to do an IV for the first dosing of the new meds to get them going in her system a bit faster?

You might also ask about giving her Flagyl along with the rest of the meds to help with diarrhea that she might get from the new antibiotics.

Poor kiddo...lots of hugs to you and your sweet girl.

(Is she wearing her snood for warmth or is it serving as a sort of Bite-not collar so she won't try to lick?)

Oh goodness!! That's horrible! I second IV antibiotics before it gets any worse. ETA, the Flagyl is definitely a good idea for a dog who has to be on ABX for that long. I did Flagyl and Forti-Flora for Henry to combat the diarrhea caused by the ABX.

Snood was for warmth, she enjoys being outside and for shorter periods it's easier than the coat.

Thanks for the suggestions for the IV -- just got off the phone with them to get an updated opinion based on how things look today. It's definitely both a MRSA staph infection and another type called Actinonyces based on the culture results, but because we began the treatment over 12 hours ago now, they said an IV wouldn't be necessarily useful now, (vs. if it'd been needed within minutes for a life and death situation.

I think I'll hold off on Flagyl for another day or two so we're only introducing new things to her system with a few days in between, but it's a great suggestion. I'm not terribly concerned about diarrhea right now anyhow - it's softer than I'd like but happening regularly every day, and no accidents on her puppy pad for days now.

Whatever is in these two new antibiotics, I feel it's already caused some of the areas to begin drying up and the first signs of scabs. Hoping we've started to reverse the process.

I'll continue to update, thanks for all the good thoughts everyone.

Edited by bredlo

I am just curious, what antibiotics did they put her on to fight these?

(Reason I asked about the snood is Clarice is going to have a vulvaplasty in a couple of weeks and if I could have her wear a nice soft snood to keep her from licking as opposed to having to wear a muzzle with a stool cup in it, I'd find a way to find her a nice thick snood! ;) ).

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

A few more things to read on Manuka honey and it's effectiveness in fighting bacterial infections.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0057679

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/09/090908-mrsa-staph-manuka-honey.html

It also when fed is soothing to an upset digestive tract.

Yikes. See, the thing is that the bacteria colonize the entire area under the skin and through the muscle. The scabs and spots you can see on the surface are just the tip of the iceberg. This all likely manifested as the initial spot just dorsal to the suture line. But it quickly invades the entire region until the correct antibiotic gets it under control. Another voice for IV antibiotics to get it under control faster, before it has a chance to spread to the point of more generalized sepsis. Hoping this will indeed be the silver lining to help Nell kick cancer's butt. Sending continued prayers for a rapid recovery from here forward.

Grey_dreams, thank you so much for your added concern -- the overall mood you guys collectively express here greatly help how we're basing our decisions and whether or not we "freak out".

The surgeon we just talked to felt the correct antibiotics are fully in her system now... but if it looks like we're not catching up fast enough by tomorrow morning, I'll absolutely be taking Nell over there for 24 hr. monitoring and an IV drip if necessary. We certainly haven't come all this way just to lose her over this.

I am just curious, what antibiotics did they put her on to fight these?

(Reason I asked about the snood is Clarice is going to have a vulvaplasty in a couple of weeks and if I could have her wear a nice soft snood to keep her from licking as opposed to having to wear a muzzle with a stool cup in it, I'd find a way to find her a nice thick snood! ;) ).

Krissn333:

- 400mg Sulfamethoxazole (with Trimet), and

- 300 mg Clindamycin -- both are every 12 hours.

I'll keep updating as to how well she's handling them. Side effects for this pair can range from upset tummy, to dry eyes, to major systemic rejection in rare cases. So far everything is normal.

Cute idea to use the snood - ours is plain old wool, but it would be nice to have a accelerometer sensor and airbag in it.

That way, as soon as they try to lick themselves... it would inflate like an airplane neck pillow! ;)

In all seriousness though, we use the classic "Cone O' Shame" on her at night, and she's tolerated it very well. It's flexible enough that she can still get into her most common sleeping contortions.

Guest LazyBlaze

Oh poor sweet Nell, she's had so much to go through. I hope the antibiotics are getting a grip on the infection and that she can start to heal very soon.

Agree with others that Manuka honey might help keep the wounds clean - a neighbour of mine had a manuka honey dressing applied by a nurse to a sore on her leg and it certainly aided the healing.

Continued good thoughts for you all. :grouphug

Instead of the cone, you could use a bite not collar. The homemade version is a folded towel around the neck held in place with vet wrap. They still can't reach back there, but don't freak out as much as using the cone. They also don't bump into things like they do with the one.

Continued good thoughts for Nell. That is a nasty infection.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:bighug I don't post much, but I check for updates. I am sorry Nell has such a nasty infection, but you have been amazing nurses for her! I hope the antibiotics work quickly, and would add that I have had good results from Manuka honey as well, although on a much less serious infection. :candle

Checking in on the lovely Nell this morning.

Thanks, all of you, for continuing to check in. We appreciate all the love.

:bighug I don't post much, but I check for updates. I am sorry Nell has such a nasty infection, but you have been amazing nurses for her! I hope the antibiotics work quickly, and would add that I have had good results from Manuka honey as well, although on a much less serious infection. :candle

We've picked up a jar of Manuka honey at a local "Mom n' Pop" pharmacy, and I've emailed Dr. Couto with Nell's status, photos, and which medicines we're administering regarding what we're dealing with, for his blessing on the antibiotics and Manuka. I'm assuming he'll be fine with the current plan.

And thanks for the suggestion on the bite collar, Neighsayer. I googled a few photos and will keep it in mind, looks like an unoffensive solution.

As for Nell's condition:, it's much like yesterday. Quiet, pain-free, but lots of oozing and plenty of Oxyclean for drips on the carpet. I've switched to wearing my rubberized rain coat to carry her outside -- it's easier to rinse off the blood and bacteria between walks.