Greta--It Is Nealry Time

JaneW

Nearly time to say goodbye to my dog, Greta. All her little aging issues are merging into too much pain and debility for a dog whose only interest in life is movement. I've known this was coming for the last year or so, and now she has a cavity in a tooth that is likely infected. She is terrified of going to the vet, and the last time she had anesthesia she was very ill afterward. She also has digestive problems and chronic back and shoulder pain that is not responding to medication or supplements. I plan to have her euthanized at home while she is happy and unknowing, before she has a crisis that requires it be done in pain and fear at the vet's office.

:grouphug

I am sorry that this time has come for your girl.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My heart aches for all that you are going through. I pray that Greta's passing is peaceful. Gentle hugs to you both.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Thank you everyone. I firmly believe that it is better to choose a day too soon than to wait a day too long.

Yesterday I found the tooth cavity and had already decided not to put her through more dental work because she had difficulty the last time, and that was several years ago when she was still otherwise robust. Then I woke up late this morning, but she was not up pacing around wondering why I was still in bed as she usually does when I'm late. When I went to look for her, she was in her bed in the awkward splayed position that indicates considerable pain, and she still didn't move when she saw me. I have a horror of waiting too long and having her die in pain and fear. We will have a few more weeks, till her meds are running out.

You are her best friend. She looks to you to give her peace and make her pain free. G-d bless.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm sorry. I hope you both enjoy her remaining time.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Enjoy each moment with her- and then take comfort in the fact that you are giving her the greatest gift of a passing with peace and love.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest greytbig

Jane,

I wish every pet could have their people in the same mindset as yourself. As difficult as it is to say goodbye (I like to believe that it's "until we meet again") your decision is the kindest, most loving one that can be made. You are thinking of what Greta is feeling and going through, and basing your decision on those factors. We just had to make this decision five days ago. Our Snappy broke his leg, which lead to an Osteo diagnosis. We are fortunate to have a wonderful veterinarian who came to our home to help Snappy have a more peaceful journey to a place where he has no more pain or illness. He is the same vet who did the same for my last Grey in 2005. I don't know if you have done this before, (having the vet to the house) but in my personal experience......I just found myself at a loss for the right words. Let me just say that in both of my experiences, my dogs were as comfortable as they could be. My face was the last thing they saw before they left. I'm certain that they wouldn't have wanted it any other way, and I'm certain that Greta would agree. Hugs and kisses to you both. You will cherish these days that you have forever. You know her better than anyone else. So, if the time comes sooner, you will know.

If she has an infected tooth, she really needs to see a vet, fear or not. Infection in the mouth is very painful and can lead to fatal sepsis. There are many anaesthesia protocols, which can be adjusted based on past history.

I'm sorry she isn't well and hope she has much more good time with you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If she has an infected tooth, she really needs to see a vet, fear or not. Infection in the mouth is very painful and can lead to fatal sepsis. There are many anaesthesia protocols, which can be adjusted based on past history.

I agree with going to the vet and taking care of the tooth - if she needs to have it removed, then make whatever decisions at that time but, many older dogs can undergo anesthesia successfully and recover from it. How old is she?

Having faced this same decision twice this summer, I know how hard this is. Cherish the time you have together.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

:( I'm so sorry you are going through this :(

can you see if your vet will do a housecall when it's time? We were lucky that ours did for Nube.

sending hugs.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

The tooth is just the final issue that sets the time. She is nearly 12 and I'm not going put her through major dental surgery again just to try to extend her life a little longer when she is in chronic pain from back and shoulder issues, has increasing digestive issues, is allergic to many medications and foods and environmental things, and is not responding to the pain meds she can tolerate. She wants to run and take long walks and her body just won't anymore. She is too lame to walk as much as she wants to, and she has fallen on the steps so many times that she is becoming afraid of them, and I cannot lift her. I have done as much as I can with my resources. She is not enjoying her life anymore. It is time.

The vet will come to my house when we are ready.

Thank you everyone for your support, it means a lot to me.

Infection in the mouth is very painful and can lead to fatal sepsis.

Can your vet prescribe a course of antibiotics and pain meds without a visit? Not sure if your sweet baby is already on these types of meds. So sorry that she's not feeling well.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

:nod Ditto

Dealing with a 14 year old dog here with multiple heath issues that will have extraction(s) Thursday due to an infected molar. The vet said without extraction even with the clindamycin it could move into his bloodstream in 1-2 months.

You know your dog better than any of us. :bighug

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Please--the tooth is not something to solve. The vet knows about it. Antibiotics are risky with her and we are not doing them. It is not yet painful, apparently (she has no problem biting down on her toothbrush) but it smells a bit. Her back, however, is so painful today that she is having difficulty lying down and that is with a full dose of the only pain med she can tolerate plus allergy meds which also seem to help. She is also on all sorts of supplements. They just are not enough anymore.

I'm not going to address any more suggestions on how to solve her problems. She is old and worn out and tired and has been in pain just about long enough. Possibly more than long enough. I will not keep her here just because I don't want to let her go.