Ekko, July 4 1997-June 28Th 2012

CaliforniaGreys

Today, Ekko suffered a massive seizure which triggered a massive stroke and we had to say goodbye. Life will never be the same without her with us.

After surviving a life of hell, the state of California finally stepped up and facilitated Ekko's rescue. Ekko had been a mom over and over again until she was 10 years old, and at 10(we're estimating but according to my vet, she was 10) life began.

Ekko was bigger than life, a force to be reckoned with, and at the same time, the most gentle and sweetest hound I was ever blessed to live with. Her antics were like none I had ever seen before, she took pictures off the walls, opened the refrig and helped herself, opened the oven, couldn't resist paper of any kind. And there was never a roll of toilet paper or a book allowed in sight. I swore she would put me in the ground with some of the things she would do.

She just couldn't help herself

I was grateful that I was here when it happened and was able to hold her and comfort her because she was clearly afraid and had no idea what was happening. I am so grateful to my sister and my BIL who rushed over and helped me get her to the car and I took her over to the e-vet which is where I had to say goodbye.

I held her and told her how much we all loved her and told her her brothers and sisters would be there to greet her until we can all be reunited once again. I told her I would take good care of little Sprinkles because I swear she thought Sprinkles was her own.

Ekko leaves quite a legacy. Here are some of my favorite pictures of my girl ♥

Her first picture after we arrived here....we're not in the desert anymore!

Ekkolookingoutthewindow.jpg

At the picnic headed towards the Rain Dog treat table

ontheprowl.jpg

Another from the picnic

Ekkoinherbandana.jpg

At home

Ekko-1.jpg

And where ever she was in the house, you would find Sprinkles always close

SprinklescuddleswithEkko-1.jpg

I love you Ekko, please keep watch

Edited by CaliforniaGreys

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, no Claudia! Ekko was always one of my favorites. I'm so, so sorry.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Oh NO NO NO! Not Ekko. Oh I am so very sorry :grouphug

Run free -- with all the toilet paper rolls you want -- sweet Ekko

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

I was saddened to see she has left for the bridge...my heart goes out to you. Ekko's antics and stories will always be remembered.

Run Free Ekko :f_pink

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Claudia, I am so sorry to hear this...dear sweet Ekko, rest well sweetie...you left quite a legacy.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest hannahmom

Hannah and I went for a walk while I told her about her mentor Ekko's passing. Then we saw the rainbow as the showers stopped. May your naughty, lovely girl live forever in your hearts and minds.

Guest IrskasMom

Awww Claudia , I am shocked to see Ekko's Name in Rememberance . I am so terribly sorry for your Loss. What a sweet Girl and yes even GT will never be the same .Claudia I understand the emptiness and Pain you are feeling . :f_pink

PS.I just realized , Ekko would have been next Wednesday 14 Years old . Happy Birthday at the Bridge sweet old Girl.

Edited by IrskasMom

Oh Claudia, that last picture brought me to tears. There are certain hounds that just can't help but leave their mark here on GT and Ekko was one of them. She has entertained us so many times with her antics. She will be sorely missed. I know I've already said what I needed to but Mike wanted me to let you know how sorry he is for your loss. Ekko made a definite impression on him when he was privileged to meet her. We are both so very sorry. A huge hug to you.

Godspeed Ekko. You will be forever missed.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I literally gasp out loud when I saw the title. i hardly know what to say :cry1:weep

You gave her a wonderful life,, and she gave you one right back!

Ekko ---may you have endless rolls of TP to keep you happy!

you will be missed every day!

:candle

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I am so sorry for your loss. I remember your humorous stories of Ekko's antics. Godspeed Ekko!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I am so terribly sad for your loss, but so happy you were there for her and for the life you gave her.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Claudia, I'm not longer on FB, so I didn't know until Gail told me. I'm so very, very sorry. I loved her like she was my own. Just think about the hell Ekko and Loca must be raising now that they've finally met!

Rest well, Ekko. We'll all miss you. :f_white

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

My heart sank when I saw her name in remembrance. She's always been one of my favorite GT pups.

Rest well, Ekko. I'll think about you the next time my brat boy eats furniture and shreds toilet paper.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Nooooooooooooo Claudia, I am so very very sorry. Ekko was certainly a force to be reckoned with, and after her years of hell, she found you, her heaven on earth. Such a special soul, you were blessed to share her journey. Some of the "fiestier ones" keep us laughing the hardest when we need it.

Run with the angels Beautiful Ekko, shred the paper and when it snows, we will know you found the heaven's stash of Charmin ~

Oh no! I'm so very sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Claudia, I am so sorry for the Ekko-sized hole in your heart right now. I never met her but through your stories and photos I feel as tho I knew her well. The photo of her and Sprinkles :beatheart There will only be one Ekko. She has left big paws to fill. I'm so very sorry :grouphug:

Godspeed Ekko. At the Bridge there is an endless supply of tp rolls, sweetie. f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh,, Claudia, there will never be another Ekko. I will always remember reading tales of her antics.

Run free, Ekko.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Sending lots of love and sympathy to you and your family. We're so very shocked and sorry. :grouphug

:f_pink:gh_run:f_pink Find all the TP, Ekko!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I am so sorry for your loss, I remember reading your threads during your move...she was a special hound...

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

{{{{{{{{{{Claudia}}}}}}}}}}

I'm sorry she had to leave you. She was an amazing girl, who inspired amazing things.

Godspeed, precious fuzzy girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Claudia she was bigger than life with her antics & sweetness. I am so sorry for you & the the furkids. She was just my all time favorite outside of Sabrina

Hugs to you, Wayne, Lenny & Sprinkles, Caroline

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina