Uss Maxi - August 9, 2000-June 4, 2012

djsgreys

Today we helped our teeny tiny lady to the bridge. This morning she got up, walked down the hall and collapsed. By the time we got to the vet she had no reflex response in her right front leg and both of her back legs. It was some kind of massive cerebral event – the vet was unsure if it was a stroke or not but held out little hope that she would make any kind of satisfactory recovery. So she went peacefully to the bridge, cradled in my arms, with me telling her how much we loved her and that finally she could truly run free again.

When Maxi arrived here on that Friday night in July of 2009, she was only going to stay with us for a few days until her forever home was ready to take her. On Saturday morning she went for a run in the big yard with my other two seniors and as we turned to the gate to head back in, she let out a little yelp. I turned to see her holding her back left leg up. It was a devastating injury – a dislocation fracture of her tarsal bone. The bone was set and she was splinted and sent home on bed rest. At the first bandage change all seemed well but by the second, I was getting worried about the smell. Sure enough the splint had shifted a bit and had cut badly into her leg. If she had not been on antibiotics for gum disease she would have lost the leg for sure. Off with the splint but it meant 3 months of complete bed rest so John and I carried her everywhere.

DSC03528.jpg

The break healed well – not so the tendons, and as she had no tendons to keep the bones in place we were faced with two options – to surgically pin which would mean losing all mobility in that joint or to get her fitted with an orthopedic brace. Maxi had one more challenge to face before she was off medical hold. An intense dental to deal with impacted teeth. Finally recovered she was now available for adoption. But it had to be to a committed family, one that would ensure that the brace was on at all times when she was not crated or sleeping. The original family, uncertain of her future, had adopted another hound.

We found the perfect home for her, in fact we knew she was already in it. Having nursed her through first the leg and then the dental we knew we could not let her go. So she became the 8th member of the Da Croo. At 46 pounds she was the smallest of the pack but there was nothing small about her attitude. We called her Maxi trouble for a reason - she didn’t hesitate to let the others know if they got to close when she was sleeping, and all the toys in the house were definitely hers.

DSC03935.jpg

She could tear up a roll of toilet paper in an instant, and manage to give us the “it wasn’t me” look as she lay on her bed with the shredded paper all around her. She was a meet and greets diva – her rule was that everyone must stop to pet her and to tell her how sweet she was.

DSCN0185.jpg

It was so fun to dress her up, but she hated it – she never adjusted to her pj’s and rubbed herself against the fence to get her coat off in winter.

DSC04589.jpg

She was able to run in her brace and spent hours in the big yard.

th_IMG_1943.jpg

Maxi, we loved you so very much and we will miss you forever. My heart is broken and my house seems emptier still but there is joy in knowing that you can truly run free again now. Find all our other angels, and give Sam the good run for the money that you always wanted to.

Maxi.jpg

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She was such a beauty/cutie. I am so very sorry for your loss. Though the time she spent with you, was not long enough, she knew she was well loved.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Maxi was where she belonged. No one could or would have done as much as you guys did for your sweet girl.

I'm so sorry now for your loss. :grouphug

Godspeed beautiful Maxi. Run fast and free :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so very sorry. I didn't know her history, but it is obvious that she pulled out all stops to make sure she stayed with you!

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Deb, I'm very sorry for the loss of your princess. She could not possibly have had a better or more loving home.

:grouphug:f_pink:grouphug

Mary

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I'm so sorry Deb and John. I know your heart is aching right now.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I'm so so sorry.

Run far and fast and painfree little Maxi.....................................................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Deb, what a beautiful tribute to your brave girl. I believe that Maxi must have known somehow that she was home when she stepped paw in the Magoo household. She was a lucky girl to find you and John: you are special people. And, fittingly, you are special in part thanks to hounds like Maxi, and all the other hounds you so lovingly care for and who leave indelible paw prints on your hearts.

Rest in peace, sweet Maxi. :gh_run2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'm so sorry Deb and John. Maxi was such a special wee girl. i feel lucky to have met her. My heart is aching for you.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Pretty girl :wub: . I'm sorry she had to leave you.

Godspeed, sweet pea.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.