Charlie (Nov 20, 2002-April 21St, 2012)

Charlies_Dad

My beautiful boy is gone. He took his last breaths around 5pm yesterday surrounded by DW and me telling him how wonderful and special he was. To say we are heartbroken is understating the loss we feel. The house is so very quiet without our boy who made us smile.

Charlie came to us September 8th, 2008 after retiring from a full 5 years of racing in July. He raced a total of 213 races and from little I know, he seemed to do well for his owner. What he did do better was being my friend and companion for the last 4.5 years. We adopted Charlie from a branch of NGAP out of Virginia Beach, VA from a wonderful person named Gay Latimer. It was several weeks after losing our beloved Dalmatian Josey (my special angel) that we realized we needed another pup as we were down to two small pups from the original pack of four. We had always thought of rescuing a Greyhound and DW had been the one to mention it. She had been fortunate enough ot have met a few rescues before and that really drew her to adopting a rescue. Within a couple of weeks we met Gay's Greyhounds when she came over to 'inspect' our RV as I am sure she had her concerns. Luckily she approved of our 40ft home on wheels and we then agreed that we would like a gentle boy as our Rat Terrier always got along best with boys. While we waited to become new parents, like so many, we were nervous and excited at the same time. It felt like forever when we finally got the call that our boy had been selected. We both still remember the day when we went to pick him up at Gay's house standing there on the back deck seeing this huge beautiful red fawn with those gorgeous brown eyes. It was love at first for the both of us for this boy. We named him Charlie and he came home to meet his two little sisters. Charlie lived with us in the RV for 2.5 years and loved it as he like so many Greys that don't need a lot of room. He was initially frightened of the TV and he hated ceiling fans and flags. He was like many Greys, not outgoing and very hesitant about his new surroundings. He loved going for walks wherever we stayed including Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Maine and of course back home in Ontario. We were very nomadic during those years and he accompanied us wherever we went. The things that I remember about my boy so well:

- The first time he got loose on us at our vacation house in Maine as were in the front yard while he was spinning around on his leash in excitement and we dropped the leash by accident. Once he knew he was free, he took off so fast, at first I smiled at the awesome speed and then my heart fell when he disappeared in a second around the back of the house. Moments late he was in full flight around the other side coming straight at us. Of course he swerved and round zoomies around us like a mad man.

- The only other time he has been 'free' was on Parsons Beach just down from our house in Maine. The beach was empty and it's fairly 'safe' for a free Grey. Charlie was always an easy walker, right beside you or just behind, never in a rush. Well this time we allowed him to walk along beside sans leash and unbeknown to us another dog was loose on the beach that we had not seen. It came up behind us off to our right and when it passed us, Charlie took a look but didn't seem interested. I was about to grab his collar when the other dog decided to run and that was all it took for Charlie to bolt and I have never seen such a beautiful sight as he powered up the beach and within only three or four strides ran right over the other dog who let out a whimper…I felt so bad for the dog which I believe was a border collie or cross between one. The dog got up and immediately scaled a cement barrier at a house and I was afraid Charlie would go up as well but instead stood on his hind legs and his front feet planted on the wall. I called to him and he looked back with a huge smile on his face and the next second he was flying back towards us. As he came closer I was afraid he would crash into us as he did not seem to be veering off. At the last moment he dodged right and started doing zooms all around us with this huge grin on his face at being free and proud he was in catching the other dog. He sure was proud of that moment and we never did see that other dog again on the beach.

- The first M&G he attended. The first sight of other Greys had his tail go straight out and he just plowed right into the group, so happy to be with his peeps.

- The way you would not let mom into the RV when she came home from shopping and you would nip her in excitement. She turned to carrying a stuffy with her so she could stuff it into your mouth when she came home.

- The time he finally got to go out free in his yard when we decided to put down roots. We fenced off about 3/4 acre and the first time we let the pups loose, they just stood there not knowing what to do. Charlie soon got a hang of it though and being in a house made him blossom.

- The mornings, each morning, that he would come to my side of the bed and poke me in the face with his cold nose telling me to get up.

- Every night at 9pm when he would let us know it's time for his cottage cheese and flax oil by letting out a whine and if that did not work, he would go get a stuffy and chew-squeak, chew-squeak, chew-squeak.

- His huge brown eyes when you had a treat for him. They looks like pools of chocolate that would swallow you whole.

- The car/truck rides and he would talk to us he was so excited. When you left him the car for a moment he would let out a combination of talking and howling that only Charlie could do. Anyone close by would turn around and stare at the strange noise wondering what the heck it was.

- 10pm chases after a pup who just loved to be outside and didn't want to come back in. He always thought this was a great game but some nights it was quite trying.

- The devastating news of his Osteo diagnosis, going ahead with amputation and seeing my boy for the first time on three legs.

- Coming home after 4.5 days in hospital with a brutal scar but loving life.

- Tearing around the backyard on three legs letting nothing stop him.

- Tossing stuffies in the air with abandon and doing it right as a tripod.

We are totally lost without you sweet boy. Even with your heart pouring blood into your chest cavity you stayed with us, bright eyes up until the end. You jumped up immediately when I grabbed the leashes, you pushed me out the door in your usual fashion and you jumped right up into the car. You loved car rides with your brother, they made you so happy. We really thought we would be bringing you home with us yesterday, we didn't think we would have to say goodbye but even with your big heart, you could not fix yourself, you could not get better and we could no longer fix you. We are devastated you are gone, the house is silent without you and we know we will never have another Charlie. You will always be my boy Charlie, always.

He loved to be covered with blankets

DSC_0017.jpg

Enjoying the sun

CSC_00310759.jpg

All stuffies were yours

3218133720_83855b165e_b.jpg

Caught in the act on the RV couch

DSC_00011009.jpg

Being my navigator in the RV

DSC_00921089.jpg

Your beautiful face

DSC_00161023.jpg

Being gentle with your little sis

DSC_00301033.jpg

Having a treat

DSC_00411194.jpg

Take a ride in the truck

DSC_00160888.jpg

Those ears

CSC_00381160.jpg

Watching mom leaving the house

DSC_00811321.jpg

Your sweet nature

DSC_00681380.jpg

You loved playing in your new backyard

DSC_00421420.jpg

Squirrel hunting with your brother

DSC_00693026.jpg

Your first day home after the amp

DSC_00063160.jpg

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle, I am so deeply sorry for your loss. You both fought it so hard and were an inspiiration to all of us. You gave us all hope that one day, osteo will be beaten.

:f_white

Charlie had an amazing spirit and zest for life and will always be remembered for that. Your tribute and all the posts since he was diagnosed with osteo and started treatment are a testament to a life well lived.

Godspeed Charlie.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

:cry1 :cry1 :cry1 :cry1 :brokenheart

I am so, so sorry, Kyle. I am a blubbering mess right now, after reading your beautiful tribute and admiring your pictures of Charlie. We will miss him so much on this forum, and we will never forget him. I feel so privileged to have been able to share his journey from afar - because he really was one special, special hound, - brave, and hilarious, and adventurous, and so sweet.

My thoughts are with you. :grouphug :grouphug

Rest well, sweet Charlie. You left such amazing paw prints on all our hearts :weep:heart:beatheart

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

:weep:weep The words "I'm sorry" just don't seem to be enough here. My heart is broken too. Charlie was such a wonderful boy, and a huge inspiration to us all. I will never forget his smiling face as he ran around the yard with his stuffy. His joy and zest for life is a lesson for us all. Run fast and pain free sweet Charlie. :f_red

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

I said a prayer of thanksgiving every time we read about another one of Charlie's milestones. I am devastated to read that Charlie is gone. I want to say so many things to you, Kyle, but I just can't right now. My heart is broken. I'm so terribly sorry for you and your family.

These osteo losses, every single one, hurt beyond measure. :(

I will always remember Charlie. Always.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Sorry seems so very inadequate. Charlie might have been your dog, but we all shared in his triumphs and trials. Larger than life. My heart is broken along with yours.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

You are missed, Charlie, and will be forever.

Godspeed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest NSGREY

I am truly sorry for your loss :weep

Charlie was such a great guy and had many great adventures with you and your family.

Run Like The Wind Charlie!! :gh_run

Deeply saddened. I'm so sorry Kyle and Lynn. :grouphug :f_yellow

Godspeed gorgeous Charlie. :gh_run Full speed on four legs into the heavens you go........ I'll be watching for your star.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I am so very very sorry that Charlie is gone. :cry1:cry1:cry1 He was truly an inspiration to all of us.

f_yellow

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Guest PiagetsMom

I know that you're both heart broken, and will miss Charlie terribly. I know he'll be missed here on GreyTalk, as well. Charlie was a special boy, and I thank you for sharing him, and his story with us. He was well loved, and gave you much love in return.

You're both in my thoughts.........I'm so very sorry :grouphug

Edited by PiagetsMom

Oh no!!! sad.gif I am so so sorry for your loss. Charlie was indeed an exceptional boy - thank you for sharing him with us. I will always think of him tearing around your yard, an absolute maniac. I wish you all peace & comfort. Godspeed Charlie! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis