Hearty 04/23/80-01/23/12

MP_the4pack

I received a letter this morning from my leasee that Hearty (aka Heartman, Heart of Gold, Spoiled Rotten Thoroughbred)was put to sleep last week.

Born Valentine Party, a Bold Ruler grandson (Secretariat's nephew), he was graceful, gorgeous as well as kind. And he looked just like his grandpa.

I wasn't looking for a thoroughbred, too high strung for me. But he just kind of fell into my lap. And he turned out to be the most patient, kindest teacher I had. I had my young nieces on his back without any worry that he'd do something stupid. In fact, one niece after only 10 months of lessons at an old hack barn, showed Hearty in the short stirrup class at a rated show. She placed second in jumping. All she needed was do her 2 point position(jumping position), point Hearty to the first jump and then just hold on. All he did was trot over the bitty crossrails, but he took care of his small rider.

At the same time, I have a picture of him jumping a 5 foot oxer. Oxer meaning, two jumps that he needs to take in one leap. In order for him to clear this, it means he would have cleared my 5'7" frame if I stood between the two rails.

When I first tried him out I was pretty green. But he asked me "which jump", "how high" and "what do you want me to do on the other side". Such a gentleman.

This doesn't mean I never came off him. He had a big engine in the back. So if I didn't place him right heading for a jump he would take it long. He could take a jump from fairly far away and still clear it. But he had so much power in his hind end that he would literally jump me loose. I'd be sitting there in mid-air before the jump while he was clearning it. (ok, that was a little cartoonish, but it seemed like that). If I fell off Hearty, it was my fault, not his.

And personality. He acted just like any of my greyhounds. I'll never forget one instance. I had a chiropractor come regularly to adjust him. I cut it down to every other month to save a few pennies. Well we had just moved to a new barn and someone there was using Hearty's chiropractor monthly. So when Sue Ann came to adjust the other horse, Hearty had a fit. I wasn't even there because he wasn't supposed to get adjusted. Well he circled his stall, swishing his tail in anger. Then he put his face in his feed bucket, ears pinned back, glaring at the horse in the aisle. Then he'd pace again. It was so obvious what he was saying that Sue Ann took him out of his stall and gave him an adjustment for free.

At a rated show one day I was in a silly mood and registered him under the name "Spoiled Rotten Thoroughbred". His real show name was Heart of Gold. We did very well at this show and it was announced over the loud speaker that the Grand Champion of the day was Spoiled Rotten Thoroughbred. My instructor wasn't too pleased. She didn't know I did that. I showed for fun, I didn't worry about accumulating year end points.

I never had to chase him in the pasture when I went to get him. I just called and would walk up to me. I could turn around and head back to the barn without a lead rope and he'd follow.

But as kind as he was, he still showed me he was a Bold Ruler grandbaby. I was on a trail ride with several people one day. One of those riders was on a squirrelly quarter horse. Her horse took off and Hearty decided to show me what his Uncle Secretrariat used to do and took chase. I have never been at that speed before or since. Scared the bejesus out of me. It was a wide flat long dirt road and Hearty let it all out. I don't think I took a breath or heart beat in that entire ride. It wasn't until the other horse was pulled into the field to the side did he finally slow down.

I do remember the wind in my face and thought that if he tripped, we're both dead.

I have a lot of pictures of him in motion. Beautiful, graceful, but they are all on print. Here's the only digital one I have. You might be able to see, he had an almost perfect heart on his forehead. Thus Hearty.

hearty.jpg

Rest in Peace baby. Even though you spend you last years up in Connecticut I will always be your Momma.

Horses like Hearty are worth their weight in gold. How he could take care of the littles but still give an experienced rider the rides of their life. Good boy. I'm sorry you and so many of Hearty's friends are missing him now.

Godspeed Hearty, find Digger and Skokie, they'll show you around. :f_red

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

what a beautiful boy he was!!! I'm so sorry he had to leave :(:cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Godspeed Hearty.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

We are very sorry for your loss of Hearty.

Don and Chris

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I too am a horsewoman. That eye! You being a fellow horsewoman know what I'm talking about. Its unmistakeable and tells so much of the super special TB he was. I also couldn't help but notice the white off hind leg. A 'sign of the good' even in the presence of other white feet. He was very handsome. Such a remarkable example of a TB. I have found very few of them to even approach the level of Hearty. He obviously was a truly special horse and I'm so sorry he had to leave. Thanks for sharing some of his neat stories!

:f_red :f_red :f_red :f_red

Edited by racindog

I'm so sorry. Horses are such beautiful creatures.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Hearty was an amazing creature, just about perfect! I doubt I've ever felt quite this...elevated, when reading in Remembrance. Thank you for sharing Hearty with us. I am sorry for your loss.

:f_red :f_red :f_red

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Magnificent. My Thoroughbred lived to 32 years as well. (He was born on 4/30/76).

I have such a soft spot for the breed.

Hearty was just beautiful.

What a long, wonderful life he had with you....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

What a lovely tribute. He sounds like he was quite the character. I'm so very sorry for your loss :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I'm so sorry for the loss of your incredibly talented friend.

Godspeed, Hearty.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.