Dixie

Dixie

Dixie

I hope I’m still allowed to post on here since Dixie is not a greyhound but a lurcher :D. I’m not certain of her mix but know that she is a bit bully breed and I suspect that she is a little bit whippet. She’s 8 years old and was in a home for two years, but unfortunately her owner’s circumstances changed and she was returned to the rescue. She came to stay with us for a long weekend at the beginning of May because she wasn’t doing well in kennels and was A Very Good Girl.

When we returned her that first weekend, Dan was a little bit in love. We said about how good she had been and that if she wasn’t a confirmed home wrecker (the reason she was returned. She was being left for long spells and had become destructive in her boredom), we would have agreed to foster her long term. Naomi’s ears pricked up and the wheels were set in motion for us to bring her home with a view to keep her until she finds a forever sofa. The rescue wanted her in a home because of her dog reactivity and the knowledge that they are unlikely to find her an adopter. They have arranged for a walker to come in at lunch time to tire her out - the walker costs less than having her in a kennel, which is now available for another dog - and she is better off being away from all the other dogs. 

So here we are. She came to us on Monday and she hasn’t destroyed anything yet apart from a few toys. She is a boisterous playmate. Her favourite games are tug o’ war and jump on the bed (a new game we invented where we run up the stairs and launch ourselves onto the bed together). Tug o’ war is accompanied by growling but if you let go of the toy she runs back to you and pushes the toy at you to continue playing. When she gets onto the bed in the morning she wriggles under the duvet at the bottom end and stays completely hidden until she can no longer avoid being called for walkies. She’s not too cuddly but likes to know where you are, and does like to snuggle between us on the sofa.

At the minute she is still a foster dog and we are going to try and showcase her good points (she has many) to get her adopted but she does fit in quite well here. It wouldn’t be the worst thing if she ended up staying, but I still feel that any dog would be better in home with someone around more - although in Dixie’s case being at home on her own is better than being in kennels  She’s a clever girl and although three walks a day will tire her out at first, she needs some mental stimulation during the day too. I’m going to contact a trainer in the village to see if we can work on her reactivity a bit more and maybe she can teach me how to get Dixie to learn some tricks for treats to keep her brain active.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6hGNMYIjUG/?igsh=MXRva3p5YnIxZWYyMA==

• Like 6

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Are you whistling Dixie? :lol YAY!! More excellent news this week! :yay

Your reporting is so articulate, you’ve already figured her out and she you. Thank you for giving Dixie an opportunity in your home. Enjoy this (foster) time together and see what happens next. 

(:rofl)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Dixie looks like a lot of fun. I'm sure she'll enjoy her time with you, whether or not her stay turns out to be permanent. :beatheart 

• Like 1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

She looks like she's plotting world domination. :lol  She'll keep you busy.  Good job for taking her on, for either the short or long term.

• Haha 1
Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I love her! And I'm so happy for all of you in this "foster" situation. 

Dixie reminds me of Lauren's @gracegirl lurcher puppy Poppy—too bad there's an ocean between you! That could be an entertaining play date. :banana :riphair :offwall

• Like 2

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Dixie is such a pretty girl and she sounds like a fun character too.  Whatever happens long term, being with you all now sounds perfect!  :confetti

• Like 1

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

She's lovely! And evidently very smart.... Hope you all have fun together, whether it ends up just-for-now or permanent.

• Like 1

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Uh-Huh.  Foster.  Uh-Huh.  Uh-Huh.  :nod  ;) 

She's adorable!  And as someone who took in many problematic fosters who never left, seeing them shine under your care is a big motivating factor in changing their permanent status!!  :thumbs-up 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

3 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

I love her! And I'm so happy for all of you in this "foster" situation. 

Dixie reminds me of Lauren's @gracegirl lurcher puppy Poppy—too bad there's an ocean between you! That could be an entertaining play date. :banana :riphair :offwall

It would be carnage. Poppy and Dixie have the same eyebrows but somehow Poppy looks like butter wouldn’t melt and Dixie is deciding where to bury my body (but only after I’ve fed her).

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, MerseyGrey said:

It would be carnage. Poppy and Dixie have the same eyebrows but somehow Poppy looks like butter wouldn’t melt and Dixie is deciding where to bury my body (but only after I’ve fed her).

Give Poppy time. She's just not fully seasoned yet. :rofl 

• Haha 2

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

What a cutie!  She's a fawn tuxedo.  :) Those eyebrows slay me.   Her tug-of-war reminds me of my first grey, Eve, who loved to play it but at first was obviously uncomfortable about growling at a human.  She quickly overcame that and spent years happily venting her frustrations by telling me how she was going to tear me to pieces.  :) 

Do you know much about her history besides the house destroyer rap sheet?  

For GreyTalk company, there's Nutmeg the whippet lurcher.  And Milo is 1/6 whippet.  

• Like 1

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

26 minutes ago, EllenEveBaz said:

What a cutie!  She's a fawn tuxedo.  :) Those eyebrows slay me.   Her tug-of-war reminds me of my first grey, Eve, who loved to play it but at first was obviously uncomfortable about growling at a human.  She quickly overcame that and spent years happily venting her frustrations by telling me how she was going to tear me to pieces.  :) 

Do you know much about her history besides the house destroyer rap sheet?  

For GreyTalk company, there's Nutmeg the whippet lurcher.  And Milo is 1/6 whippet.  

:lol Dixie has no such compunctions about growling at a human…or barking at pretty much everything that she doesn’t understand. It sounds like once they find their voice there is no shutting them up! After a ninja-quiet older gentlemen, it’s quite a change. 

I hadn’t really noticed that she has a tuxedo! And she does have good company on here although I don’t think she will make any friends by shouting at them all the time. 

We don’t know too much about her history. I think that she was adopted from the same rescue about two years and has had a happy, active life with her mum. Mum’s job changed after our lockdowns meaning that she was working longer hours and not from home, resulting in Dixie re-training as an interior designer which triggered the return to kennels. But her mum did spend a lot of time with a trainer trying to iron out the reactivity issues and made great progress. It seems that the dog we currently have is more manageable than the one she started with. I can’t help thinking that there might be something else going on because I can’t imagine wanting to give a dog up that I’d had for such a long time over curtains.

We have a training session booked in for the end of June and we are taking her to a secure field with woodland next weekend. Hopefully we will be able to build her confidence a little more as I really think this is a major reason for her behaviour. 

• Like 2

…retraining as an interior designer 

:rofl

• Haha 4

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

today, she has mostly been lengthy with a side helping of cute. 

:lol  How's she been getting along the last few days?  Is this the weekend you take her to the secure field?  We'll expect pictures.  

• Like 1

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

She is doing well, thanks. She’s a bit whiny, she barks at things a lot that we can’t see so we assume it’s shadows and birds, and grumbles at noises she can’t comprehend. She’s stubborn about when she walks. Some days we’ve just given up and turned around, especially if it’s raining (maybe she’s made of sugar - she’s sweet enough:wub:).

She is getting better at sitting and looking to me for treats when a dog passes. Then we can avoid her shouting at the other dog, although today a labrador escaped its garden and despite me shouting that ‘MY DOG IS REACTIVE!!!’ the owner wasn’t too bothered about them meeting, until she nearly took its face off. She did, however, recover really quickly, unlike me who spent the rest of walk muttering under my breath.

Prior to that we tried out an agility centre. She wasn’t completely comfortable but was relaxed enough to play a bit, and it will be more familiar when we go again. She also got a new t-shirt (which she wasn’t wearing for her afternoon walk but since labradors can’t read it wouldn’t have made much difference). 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C76fVPVoG5b/?igsh=MW9qa3ZocXAwOWY1dg==

https://www.instagram.com/p/C76cYNUoq2Z/?igsh=MXF5bmI1ZHN5eXZuMw==

I am considering getting a matching sweatshirt that says ‘people reactive’. The dog field is Sunday morning. We are also heading into the Peak District tomorrow to do a walk from Bakewell to Chatsworth and back. I do love a trip to Bakewell - if nothing else, it’s a good excuse to look for puddings and tarts. I’ll be sure to take some photos from each trip!

• Like 1

I love seeing Dixie explore the agility centre. :) 

• Like 1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Very sure-footed dog.  She doesn't look nervous at all.  What did she think of being in with all those balls?  :lol 

• Like 1

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

4 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Very sure-footed dog.  She doesn't look nervous at all.  What did she think of being in with all those balls?  :lol 

I don’t think she knew what to make of it all! The area was a unit on an industrial estate with a big shutter door and gauze to block the view but there was lots going on outside so she was a bit distracted, although she did want to play with the toys I took along. We will go again to see if she can enjoy it a bit more.

We didn’t make it to Chatsworth today. We didn’t have enough time to do the full walk so we did a shorter walk along the Monday trail - a former railway line converted for recreation. It was teeming with dogs and she got fed her body weight in treats but she was generally very good. 

When we got home she was really whiny and she started gnawing the tip of her tail, which is something she did in kennels.  We took her out for another six mile walk with a pub break in the middle. We left when she started shouting at another dog that came in and settled a few tables away :rolleyes:. Maybe it’s all too much too soon. 

This evening she has chosen my thigh to rest her tiny head on. She is finally exhausted, and so are we!

• Like 2

You are giving Dixie every opportunity to shine. I love your updates! 

• Like 3