Much to Be Thankful For

We just got back from a vacation in St. George Island, FL, with the siblings to celebrate Willa's last chemo on the 13th. Unfortunately, her white blood cell count was a little too low to give her a full dose then, so we were given the option to give her a lower dose or wait until we got back when her WBC was higher. We went with the latter and she had that dose this morning. As it turns out, though, the oncologist says we can give her "one more for luck" so we'll do that in 3 weeks since she is insured and has no side effects from it. The best news is that she had chest x-rays today and her lungs are still clear. :clap 

The other good news is that Doolin was scheduled for outpatient surgery next Monday for a small bump we found on his chest last month. An FNA showed it was likely a plasmacytoma, a benign tumor that was unlikely to grow back if surgically removed; however, it has steadily shrunk since our appointment and the sand and saltwater must have taken care of the rest, because it's completely gone and we have canceled his procedure. :yay  So, technically I guess we pre-celebrated at the beach! I wanted to share some of my favorite pics from our trip.

53349505160_06890dcda4_z.jpg

53349379299_f37e819b25_z.jpg

53349379314_68e0e86707_z.jpg

53348185367_56937c0f90_z.jpg

53349505105_05daf4edb6_z.jpg

53349505245_6d21895bc4_z.jpg

53349379309_1496300ee6_z.jpg

Since there was really nowhere they could go (ocean on one side, dunes on the other), we let them go off-leash a little bit. Much to my surprise, Doolin proved that racing instinct to run counterclockwise is STRONG!

(I am saying "ocean" here. Uh huh, that's it. :angel )

Thanks for looking, and happy Thanksgiving to our US friends!

Edited by ramonaghan
  • Like 2

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Just no words!! :confetti:yay :beatheart :beatheart:beatheart

*Happy* Thanksgiving :kiss2

• Like 1

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Forgot the surf board  :P

Great news for both pups  :D

• Like 1

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

Great pictures and video (look at Willa go!) but I really want to know what happened once Doolin got into the sea. :blink: :lol

He was pretty stunned, I think, but recovered quickly and got back to shore easily with the help of the current. No harm done! He was more traumatized by being showered off afterward. :lol 

53349073716_d1f94775db_z.jpg

He was back in the surf the next day, albeit leashed up and only a few inches deep. Willa, on the other hand, was not too sure about the water. She didn't get her feet wet if she could help it. And she's usually the bold one!

• Like 1

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Medical: Good news for Willa, better news for Doolin. Yay!

Trip: They both look so happy, especially Willa. Well, until you traumatized poor Doolin by showering him off. :kiss2 Doolin.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Stunningly beautiful pics.  The beach is perfect for sighthounds -- they can probably see a fiddler crab scuttling along a mile away.

And then -- WIPE OUT! :rofl 

• Like 1

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

St. George Island and Appalachicola is one of our favorite areas.  It's been over 10 years since we've gotten there but it's definitely on the list for a return visit. (Now I want Oysters) 

Beautiful pictures and a great break after all you guys (and hounds) have been through! 

• Like 1
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

17 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

St. George Island and Appalachicola is one of our favorite areas.  It's been over 10 years since we've gotten there but it's definitely on the list for a return visit. (Now I want Oysters) 

My family's been going there since I was 9(!). Hurricane Michael did a number on the area a few years ago and some of the businesses and restaurants (like Boss Oyster) never recovered, but it's still as quaint and beautiful as ever. I loved being there this time of year. Perfect mid-70s weather during the day, cool in the morning and night, and even less traffic than usual. You need to get back there. It has healing properties, as Doolin can attest to. ;) 

1 hour ago, ramonaghan said:

My family's been going there since I was 9(!). Hurricane Michael did a number on the area a few years ago and some of the businesses and restaurants (like Boss Oyster) never recovered, but it's still as quaint and beautiful as ever. I loved being there this time of year. Perfect mid-70s weather during the day, cool in the morning and night, and even less traffic than usual. You need to get back there. It has healing properties, as Doolin can attest to. ;) 

That storm went through a couple of years after our last visit and we watched the developments at Boss Oyster in the press after that. We last stayed in one of the little boutiqe hotel / restaurants in Appalachicola that also did not bounce back after the storm and is now out of business.  My Boss Oyster T-Shirt finally bit the dust about a year ago and could not be worn due to all of the screenprinting ink crumbling off of it. 

I hope the town eventually recovers and has the funding to do so. 

• Like 1
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life