So... I got another doggo

I know it's a greyhound forum, so please don't be angry with me for not getting another grey, there's just not enough room in the place for 2 big dogs.  Anywhoo....

Apollo and I have been really cool together but I miss having my "red dogs" (I had Pharaoh Hounds for 17 years.)  Anyways there weren't any Pharaoh litters from any of my trusted friends, but a friend of a friend had a 4 year old Cirneco that needed to be rehomed for various reasons.  She's a tiny little thing at 21lbs, but acts like she's 150lbs sometimes.  She's a wonderful sighthound addition to my family.

After a little over 2 weeks I've learned that a lot of the reasons she was rehomed all disappear when she gets proper exercise and mental stimulation.    The 2 of them get a long fairly well, though when he wants to play, he really does intimidate her.  (She's a tiny bit shorter than a whippet, but a bit heavier build.)    It's taking a lot of my time to get her used to routines, and used to me, new food, new everything.   Anyways...

There's a photo I took of her on our visit to my folk's place.  Please say hello to Apollo's new sister: Cassiopeia aka Cassie, the Cirneco D'ell Aetna.  

cassie25.jpg

Welcome Cassie!  She's very pretty and it sounds like you're all getting along pretty well already.

I don't know anything about the breed other than thinking it could be a possible sighthound option if I need to size down from a greyhound. I'm guessing a much higher energy level than a greyhound?

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I've heard of that breed, looks very cool! I just "downsized" as well, and so far I'm finding that if they are energetic enough a 20-ish pound dog can be as much of a handful as a greyhound. BTW Wikipedia classifies the pharoah hound as a sighthound, so close to a greyhound.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

OH...oh my...THUD! She is gorgeous. Congrats! :wub:

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Cassiopeia    :wub:

A local Connemara breeder had a beautiful chestnut mare, a American Quarter Horse, named Cassiopeia. 

That redheaded Cassie's son, 'Callisto', is still here with me, at age 23. 

I also owned Cassies daughter, 'Andromeda'.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

19 minutes ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

A local Connemara breeder had a beautiful chestnut mare, a American Quarter Horse, named Cassiopeia. 

:wub:

Congrats on your new, gorgeous girl! Those ears and her expression, she’s going to be a handful of fun! Please pop back in with more pics! 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Gorgeous!

Congratulations to the whole family, especially Cassie. :wub: 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

4 hours ago, Jerilyn said:

Welcome Cassie!  She's very pretty and it sounds like you're all getting along pretty well already.

I don't know anything about the breed other than thinking it could be a possible sighthound option if I need to size down from a greyhound. I'm guessing a much higher energy level than a greyhound?

Think terrier energy.  I describe them as a 70s stoner vibe (Apollo who just wants to be one with the world) and a 2020's crackhead (because she will chase a leaf and remember where she saw a squirrel last week.)  She can run circles around Apollo as far as that goes.  But I mean, he gets to sleep 20+ hours a day so... (but he's still the fastest dog at the park, though he only runs 200 yards or so.)  

Cirnecos at first glance look like a miniature Pharaoh Hound but they are not.  The ear set is different, the tail is shorter, their body is more lengthy with shorter legs than a PH.  And the gait is tremendously different, as they use more "elbow" than shoulder drive.  They still have the double suspension gait that all sighthounds have.  

3 hours ago, rsieg said:

I've heard of that breed, looks very cool! I just "downsized" as well, and so far I'm finding that if they are energetic enough a 20-ish pound dog can be as much of a handful as a greyhound. BTW Wikipedia classifies the pharoah hound as a sighthound, so close to a greyhound.

Once I discovered sighthounds, I NEVER looked back for anything else.  I love the challenge but even more I love the reward.

3 hours ago, palmettobug said:

OH...oh my...THUD! She is gorgeous. Congrats! :wub:

I hope you're alright!    

2 hours ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

Oh that's so awesome!  Horses always intrigued me especially since they have some very complex personalities.

Cassie went from being Cassandra (her show name) to Lucinda / Cindy (her former name) and now back to Cassie because my dogs need interesting names (Xerxes, Gaia, Spartacus, Apollo...)

2 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

:wub:

Congrats on your new, gorgeous girl! Those ears and her expression, she’s going to be a handful of fun! Please pop back in with more pics! 

She is a handful already, but watching her start to break out of her shell has been very rewarding.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cwc_OahruFU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

^^  That's a normal walk with Cassie.  We are learning to walk nicely on a leash but boy it takes some serious patience.

Thank you for the well wishes and congratulations everyone.  I'll keep you all posted if anything changes.

Congratulations to all!  Even Apollo, whose nap time has probably been infringed upon.  :)  

My first grey remembered the location of every squirrel sighting in our neighborhood walks after her arrival.  She wanted to reinvestigate every place.  After a couple of months, the collected volume of sightings caused her mind to blow.  

Cassie is beautiful.  And may I say, ........ EEEEEAARRSIES!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

She's got a greyhound big brother, and is a sighthound anyway!!  Always welcome!!  :wub:  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 1 month later...

here's a bit more from the pair of them...

image.jpeg.4e8dd68086d91c9bc5793fee9c8649fa.jpeg

She's a barky girl, and sounds like he is mauling her when she plays.  In fact he never touches her.

Instagram video of the two of them playing.

another instagram video of them playing at a park

I do take him on solo trips, and take her on solo trips as well.  To give them both a little bit of a break from each other..  

Edited by Apollo_the_Grey
clarification