Grey lump in mouth

Walking Grace this morning I noticed a large grey smooth lump on her gum under her back teeth :(

Plucking up courage and thinking of my bank account I carefully touched it thinking it could be an abscess but it was quite firm to the touch. As she didn't seem to be in any pain I prodded it more firmly and it started to break away :eek

The relief when I realised it was some of last nights charcoal biscuit she'd eaten while laying on her side and obviously saving for Ron :D

Ron = lateR ON

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

That must have given you quite a turn to begin with :lol:

A friend of a friend's dog was once found limping and whining pitifully. Between the pads of the affected paw was found a strange, sticky 'growth' - somebody's discarded boiled sweet!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

At least it was a charcoal biscuit and therefore not so bad for her teeth :)  

One place I lived was in a neighborhood with a lot of sweet gum trees, which produce a strange, sticky ball that looks something like the microscope pictures of the Covid virus.  Just the right size to get stuck between a hound's foot pads, and thus cause the dreaded limp.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

:lol  Shocking, but what a relief to know it was just Ron's cookie. :wub:

I noticed a black lump on Spirit's leg.   :tick  ICK ICK ICKY!!  Grabbed tweezers and went to work pulling.  Could not get the tick off.  Eventually realized that I's been tugging on a large skin tag. :blush  Owed my poor boy an apology.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

What a relief! I can relate. In her last months, Sweep stood on her bed after a nap and a long, whitish string of goo was dangling from her belly. I thought, omg, what is that, did her soft tissue sarcoma burst? Does she have another issue I don't know about? Panic panic panic. On closer inspection, it was a piece of string cheese that she'd been lying on until it was nice and melty from her body heat. :rofl 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Oh, geez, the dreaded sweet-gum ball. Source of much pain for G and myself. He's gotten better, he does hold up the paw and let me get it out without trying to rip me to pieces. Fuzzy usually gets her own out, and Roman will walk around with one stuck in his foot until we get in the house and he takes it out himself. He doesn't even care!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I read "grey lump in mouth" and thought for sure Grace had picked up a mouse and was bringing it home for RON :lol 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

8 hours ago, LBass said:

:lol  Shocking, but what a relief to know it was just Ron's cookie. :wub:

I noticed a black lump on Spirit's leg.   :tick  ICK ICK ICKY!!  Grabbed tweezers and went to work pulling.  Could not get the tick off.  Eventually realized that I's been tugging on a large skin tag. :blush  Owed my poor boy an apology.

This...To this day I don't know if I removed a skin tag, a mole or a nipple from Rocket with a Tick Key.  He didn't even flinch. Poor boy. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Had much the same happen with our first greyhound, except it was a large smooth ROCK Libby was carrying around!!!  :yikes

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My sister's dog once came up to her holding up a paw and whining pitifully. On inspection, she found a large, black, slimy lump. ARGH, cancer, cut-off paw pad, what :yikes ?! She managed to loosen, then pry it off.

Slug. We live in WA State, where the slugs are large and numerous.

Miss Jennie

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Our first dog Rosie, a shepherd/beagle mix, came in from the backyard with an odd expression on her face but she looked quite proud of herself. Despite it being a warm day when she ought to have been panting, she wasn't.  I pried her mouth open to find a small box turtle. She hadn't even chewed it and it was too big to swallow. Since I tend to get peed upon by turtles, I've always wondered if she liked turtle pee juice. :P

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

That was our golden's favorite thing! Box turtles, then digging up moles, and attempting toads. Never did learn that toads are NOT FOR DOGS.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

Mercury will come to be at bed time with a pitiful look on his face.  I know he's gotten a piece of his bedtime biscuit caught in his cheek.  He comes to me. I poke it back into his mouth.  He chomps it up and goes to bed.  Good to know I'm useful for something.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

14 hours ago, Mercsmom said:

Mercury will come to be at bed time with a pitiful look on his face.  I know he's gotten a piece of his bedtime biscuit caught in his cheek.  He comes to me. I poke it back into his mouth.  He chomps it up and goes to bed.  Good to know I'm useful for something.

I think it's great when they come to you for help and the trust that they show to know you will try your best to put things right even if they are in pain. Not that I'm saying a biscuit crumb caught in the cheek is high on the pain scale :D

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

On 9/5/2022 at 12:16 PM, jenners said:

My sister's dog once came up to her holding up a paw and whining pitifully. On inspection, she found a large, black, slimy lump. ARGH, cancer, cut-off paw pad, what :yikes ?! She managed to loosen, then pry it off.

Slug. We live in WA State, where the slugs are large and numerous.

Once at our adoption kennel's playgroup, a houndie pulled up running and uttered the Greyhound Scream of Death.  A dozen people raced to help her.  To find she wanted the whole world to know just how disgusting it felt to have a slug squished between your paw pads.

Eve ate slugs. 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I guess it ranks right up there with stepping on a cold, rotten persimmon.

10 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

I think it's great when they come to you for help and the trust that they show to know you will try your best to put things right even if they are in pain. Not that I'm saying a biscuit crumb caught in the cheek is high on the pain scale :D

I considered it a show of his trust in me.  Mummy will make things better. :gh_child

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Y'all got me with the slugs. :puke

Once I thought Lila had some horrible foot disease, it was a dead moth stuck between her toes.

I was the hero at a greyhound walk once when one of the dogs was making odd chewing motions. The owner was worried about a tooth problem or something more serious. I had seen this before and just gave the snoot a little rub to move the stuck biscuit piece - cured!

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).