It's a boy! Update page 2: And now he has a name!

Welcome to...we don't know his new name yet. :lol 

Yesterday we drove to West Memphis, Arkansas, to meet some boy houndies at the Southland kennel, and somehow this one ended up in our backseat on the drive home. In less than 24 hours, he's shown no interest in the kitties, has had no potty accidents, slept until about 4:30 when he gently whined to go out and then let me "sleep in" til 6:30, figured out the stairs outside, had a much-needed bath, and discovered the basket of stuffies. (He might have some hoarding tendencies.) 

There was another very strong contender, BGR Last Call, but Gun's story tipped the scales in his favor. He was adopted in mid-May by an elderly woman—a lifelong greyhound owner—and after only a month, she passed away suddenly (we do not know if this happened at home). Between the fact that he wasn't thrilled to be back in the kennel environment, the benefit of him having *some* home experience, encouragement from the brindle boy brigade, and his being a grandson of Sweep's papa Kiowa Sweet Trey, it felt like everything aligned.

And I know the:rulesso without further ado here he is! 

52174827515_72b230b39a_z.jpg

52174351226_5b30be4f6f_z.jpg

Sweep for scale (his size will take some getting used to!):

52174598469_3de910e630_z.jpg

52173315277_9b70acd109_z.jpg

Richard claiming the blanket Gun came with as his own:

Discovering Sweep's basket o' stuffies: 

Edited by ramonaghan
adding caption for random cat video, lol

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confetti  :confetti  :confetti  :confetti  :confetti  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:yay:confetti:heart Congratulations !!!! I love that boy!! Can’t wait to hear how he is settling in. You guys :kiss2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  Congreytulations!  He is drop.dead.gorgeous.  Sweep would be so glad for you (after she put her nephew firmly in his place, of course).  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

CONGRATS!! (did you stop and get him some good Memphis BBQ?) :yay

I notice he's got Jimbo Scotty in his pedigree, I know we've had a few dogs on GT with noise issues in that line. Johnny was one of them. Just something to look out for!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

THUD! :beatheart

It looks like he chatters too!  There were a few little chatters when he was playing with the toy. 

Our last 3 hounds including Mark and LaVida ended up here after their owners passed away suddenly. We know that LaVida was in the house with her owner for at least a day or two after she passed away, but even with that she settled in immediately when she arrived and acts like she has always been here. 

Welcome home, buddy. Let us know when you have a name! (I can see why you don't want to be calling him and yell "Gun." :lol)

Sweep did an awesome job! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

5 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

It looks like he chatters too!  There were a few little chatters when he was playing with the toy. 

He is a huge chatterer—so much so that my husband suggested we name him Beavis (not happening). And exactly, yelling "Gun" across the yard or in public is a no-go. :lol Fortunately, he does not seem to respond to it at all.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome for:

• Dudley
  • Jasper
  • Gunther
  • Badger
  • Angus

Help?! I should start a poll.

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

4 minutes ago, Remolacha said:

Angus has always been a favorite of mine!

edited to add, Kevin isn’t on your list, but he kind of looks like a Kevin to me :D

Kevin :lol would be excellent for memes. 

giphy.gif

9965518.gif

rQf0oBH1_6gfGQW-eJJQOgjPH98zOsjLMoSBcpGB

:lol 

He looks like a Badger to me; maybe Gunther or Jasper.  Or Gunner.  Or how about Sling?  Kind of coordinates with Sweep, and then you could call him with "Slingalingadingdong"

How's the cat taking the bad news?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

The eyes. He’s an honest, try-hard guy, you can just tell :heart Someone very special already had a name that fit him and that I loved. Otherwise he would have been named Ernest :beatheart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so happy for you! :clap  He's a handsome fellow and was a really good racer!  I like the name Badger. But I also like Gunnar or Gunther to honor his racing name.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I vote "Winston", a combination of Winchester and Remington.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Harry. 

I've always wanted a dog named Harry, but we have never changed a name when a dog arrived. I just think there's something about a big brindle boy named Harry that I like. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:wub:    He is so handsome!

Well, if you name him Gunther you would probably still be yelling "Gun!"  

I like Angus for a big boy's name!

Congratulations!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

There’s nothing quite like a brindle,

Wishing happiness to all of you, whatever his name is.;)

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Wooooohoooooo!!!!!! :banana :pepper :banana :pepper 

Kiowa Sweet Trey offspring are extra special. :beatheart 

My Piper (Cee Bar Easy) was bred to Jimbo Scotty a few times. One of her daughters with him--Poppy (Cmon Err Not)--did not have noise problems. Nor does grand daughter Hildy (Braska Hildy).  My Kiowa Sweet Trey daughter Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue) did. :dunno 

I like Angus. Whatever his name, he's gorgeous and settling in very well indeed.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

6 hours ago, palmettobug said:

CONGRATS!! (did you stop and get him some good Memphis BBQ?) :yay

I notice he's got Jimbo Scotty in his pedigree, I know we've had a few dogs on GT with noise issues in that line. Johnny was one of them. Just something to look out for!

54 minutes ago, GreyPoopon said:

Wooooohoooooo!!!!!! :banana :pepper :banana :pepper 

Kiowa Sweet Trey offspring are extra special. :beatheart 

My Piper (Cee Bar Easy) was bred to Jimbo Scotty a few times. One of her daughters with him--Poppy (Cmon Err Not)--did not have noise problems. Nor does grand daughter Hildy (Braska Hildy).  My Kiowa Sweet Trey daughter Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue) did. :dunno 

I like Angus. Whatever his name, he's gorgeous and settling in very well indeed.

Tell me about the noise issues. He does seem hyper-aware of all the noises, but it's a new place in an urban neighborhood with lots going on. Those ears are definitely on full alert. But so far no real spookiness detected and he seems great on our round-the-block walkies (too hot for anything more). I do feel bad that the timing is so crappy with 4th of July coming up. We seem to have dodged the thunderstorms predicted for today (boo for my parched yard, hooray for this young man); I was curious to see if he has his Auntie Sweep's storm-phobia.

Edited by ramonaghan

Gunnar gets my vote from your list.  But I do like Harry.  And Remington.  I've always like the nickname Remy.  :beatheart 

Then when he's in trouble you can use his full name and it has some real weight!!  "Remington G Lastname!!!  What are you doing??"  :shakefinger 

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Congrats (insert name here) on finding a new home.

As for his name what about something short like Ted

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time