Our Galgo Is Here!

kightfam

Our galgo is here! He came home yesterday morning and spent the entire day sleeping on his new bed. Today he's a bit more alert, some restlessness and whining occasionally as he gets his bearings. He's incredibly gentle and unobtrusive, likes the kids and hasn't bothered to do much with our current dog (they're being kept apart, just outside together for potty breaks-- he's kept on a leash). He seems very interested in squirrels-- definitely going to invest in that six foot fence next spring!-- and is learning to keep his paws off the counter tops, lol. Overall, a delightful guy! The rescue he's from does a 2 week evaluation period before making adoption final, but so far, so good on our end. I'm super impressed by his social skills, especially considering he's lived in rescue for nearly his whole life. We're still working on a name... Fred, Nigel, and Asa are our favorites so far.

I hope I successfully figured out how to share photos! He's a cute little goofball!

What a good lookin' boy, especially in that last photo.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

One of his "headshots" from FBM-- he really is so handsome!

My Iker was the first dog from FBM to go to North America.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

And Robin met Beatrix while volunteering at FBM! She introduced us via Skype. :)

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

And Robin met Beatrix while volunteering at FBM! She introduced us via Skype. :)

That's amazing!! So glad to be part of this community!

So far he seems very well adjusted and easy. The one thing I can tell we'll have to help him with is realizing that it's ok for another dog to be within sight while he's eating, and vice versa. Our dogs are being kept very separate for now, but she walked within his line of sight while he was eating dinner, and he barked at her. Then later my husband gave our first dog a little piece of sweet potato from his plate, within galgo boy's sight, and he again started barking at her. No growls, and he honestly doesn't seem all that food motivated (he has a kong with a little peanut butter smeared inside that he hasn't touched all day), and he's otherwise very soft and gentle. So I'm hopeful that we can help him associate seeing Nellie with good things, and then start connecting the dots to where he's not on guard against her when either one is eating.

If anyone can weigh in with experience and/or just provide encouragement it would be much appreciated! <3

Just take your time. Many galgos lived on the street or were fed with lots of other dogs. Take it slow with him.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

He’s adorable. Congratulations

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Congrats to the whole pack! He is gorgeous.

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Look at those STRIPES! What is this gorgeous senor's name?

He seems very interested in squirrels

:lol My first hound kept every location of every squirrel seen on every walk memorized for weeks, until the sheer amount of memory required imploded.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 3 weeks later...

When we got our galgo girl we fed separately, she would growl if Jackie (the most inoccuous dog ever) was anywhere near her slow-eating self. She graduated to dining in her crate leisurely and lying down (weirdo). But even after the desperate growls subsided and she realized no one was they still ate apart. Kept it up with Homer as she seemed happy going to her crate for meals. In any case, there may just be some history of posturing around food without any real ill intent...and time can easily overcome. Just my personal experience and observation. And even by galgo standards Xena was a bit of a head case.

Blank 500 x 150.jpg
Suzie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic (b. 07 Feb 2015) and missing:
Homer aka Atoscocita Homer (05 Oct 2010- 16 Nov 2021)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)

• 4 months later...

Sorry it's been a while since I last checked in. The boy we brought home very much escalated in reactive behavior towards our senior dog, sadly. She was getting increasingly anxious, as he would go into a barking/growling rage anytime he so much as heard her walking around out of his sight. I have done thorough reading and was really very careful with his homecoming, but that kind of reactivity is not something we are equipped to handle. I am very grateful that the rescue has a 2 week period to evaluate fit, so he could find a home where he's not triggered constantly. But next time I am determined to work with a rescue who uses foster homes, instead of a kennel situation, so that there will be fewer big surprises like that. He was marshmallow soft to humans-- just not comfortable enough around other dogs in a home. :( 

The task will be to find a rescue that works with families with younger children. We are responsible parents, and know that they are usually the problem in dog-to-child interactions. So we supervise and separate religiously. But all the rescues in the area (minus the one we found the galgo through) have a 5 y/o minimum age for all kids in the home. If anyone has recommendations for rescues that use foster homes, and who will talk to families with younger kids at least on a case by case basis, could you let me know? I think we are mostly interested in a retired racing greyhound, so that would be a plus too if that is the rescue's primary work. Thanks!