Our Galgo Is Here!

kightfam

Sorry it didn't work with your galgo.  But you supplied important information so that his adoption group can find him the right home.  

Where are you located?  Most greyhound adoption groups work with their surrounding geographical areas, although many will adopt to longer distances away.  Here's a link to many, although not all, adoption groups:  http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/directory/list.cfm?usState=198&region=All&national=All  You can ask the ones that serve your area about their kids policies.

There is a scarcity of adoptable greyhounds right now.  Be prepared for a waiting list.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thank you so much for this, @EllenEveBaz! We will probably consider adopting in a year-- our pittie's health has begun to decline, so we will probably let her live out her life without too much chaos, and then prepare fora  new dog. But that will give us plenty of time to find a rescue that fits us well, and get on a waiting list for a dog they think will be a good match. 

Just now, kightfam said:

Thank you so much for this, @EllenEveBaz! We will probably consider adopting in a year-- our pittie's health has begun to decline, so we will probably let her live out her life without too much chaos, and then prepare fora  new dog. But that will give us plenty of time to find a rescue that fits us well, and get on a waiting list for a dog they think will be a good match. 

Oh, and we are located in northern MN! I've looked into a few rescues in our region, but they seemed to have fairly strict child policies. Still worth having a conversation with them, perhaps. 

Another possibility is the Lurcher Project.  It evidently will adopt out to anywhere, and to kids.  A lurcher is a greyhound mix.  My Milo is probably a lurcher.  He looks like a greyhound with floppy ears and a slightly barreled chest.  Like galgos, lurchers are usually higher energy than greyhounds.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Yes, lurchers do seem to be a little more accessible to families with children, for some reason. We had the benefit of meeting several lurchers and galgos with the previous rescue. The lurchers were very boisterous and bouncy and fast moving, the galgos were generally more aloof and unsure about strangers and children. (The one we brought home was exceptionally friendly and well balanced with the kids.) Our children are really quite mellow, and were not very comfortable around the lurchers, but I know we might be able to find the one odd lurcher who is not quite so pushy. For now, I'm going to see if we can pursue a true greyhound-- I really feel that a more laidback and low key nature would be a good fit for us. But we'll see what turns up!