Large Hound For A Petite Woman? Leash Pulling/prey Drive Concerns

Guest odoyle223

Guest odoyle223

Hi Greytalk forum members! I'm new here and have been looking around the forum as my wife and I are hoping to adopt a retired racer in the coming months. The only thing we aren't 100% in agreement on is the size, and therefore (most likely), the gender of the dog. I do realize that there is some overlap (ie. small males and large females). For whatever reason, I've seen a lot of male vs. female threads but almost nothing addressing this particular topic of whether larger hounds are considered safe for small individuals given their prey drive.

The main concern is around being able to control the hound while taking it for walks. I'm a pretty good sized guy in good shape, so the size and weight of the hound is not a concern for me. My wife, however, is petite and probably not much over 100 pounds. She likes the big males as well but is very wary of the hound being too big to control, especially if its prey drive kicks in on a walk.

Because of this, the logical conclusion seems to be to try for a small hound which would tend to skew our options towards the female end of the spectrum. That said, several forums and articles have given me pause about this line of thinking as many have suggested that larger males actually tend to be more docile and easygoing while the females may tend be more independent and aggressive and therefore harder to control.

If I had my choice I'd go with a big, gentle male hound but at the end of the day we don't want to risk the safety of my wife or the dog if she can't control it.

Wondering if anyone on this forum has any insight? Any petite women with large hounds?

While the size of the hound does play some part in your ability to control them should they want to chase something, it isn't the be all and end all. I have a 55 pound female who has taken off after cats and dogs and caused me to stumble and nearly fall (and I have many years of experience walking out of control dogs!). She doesn't do it often anymore, but she's still perfectly capable of knocking me off balance.

Our 50 pound female before her was the same way and once did all sorts of gymnastics while trying to slip her leash and get a beagle. Dad held on for dear life (and it all ended just fine! :lol).

On the other hand, the 78 pound male we had when I was 7 years old would walk perfectly beside me and only rarely get interested enough in something to pull ahead (and this "pull" resulted in a just barely taut leash).

Any dog (with or without a high prey drive) can bolt after something, but a dog with a lower prey drive tends to be less likely to do so. When you're looking at hounds, look for hounds who have a lower prey drive and may be able to live with cats and small dogs. Although do keep in mind that if you fall in love with a hound who does have a high prey drive, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll try to take off after everything while on walks. If the group you're working with will let you, take your candidates on a walk (preferably where there are squirrels!) to see if you can get a feel for their tendencies.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

I think it has a lot to do with the dog's leash manners, how high it's prey drive is and how skittish it is. In my experience, older dogs ( four years and older) have better leash manners, but your adoption group can give you insight into individual dogs. I have a medium-sized female who has horrible manners although I have tried to train her. I would worry about a petite woman holding her when she want to go somewhere. (I am definitely not petite and can hold her with no trouble but she does pull when she wants to get to that dead squirrel in the road.) I knew going in that she was a wild thing. My big male (82 lbs) has impeccable manners and came that way. However he is a nervous boy and tried to bolt a couple times when he was new to the neighborhood. I only hit the ground once and that was when a moving branch scared him. The big thing is if you do fall because your dog bolts, DO NOT LET GO OF THE LEASH! It doesn't matter if your glasses are broken and you r knees are skinned--do not let go. Now several years later he is no longer skittish and I would trust him with a toddler holding his leash--he is that calm in the neighborhood. I know this is rambling, but what I want to say is talk to the adoption group and let them know your concerns.

I am 5' and weigh 110#. And I am 65 years old.

A 50# female can knock you to your feet. So can a 75# male.

That said I have never had any difficulties walking all 3 of mine at the same time...a total of nearly 200#.

We are very rural and often encounter all sorts of livestock when out walking. Everything from deer to squirrel to rabbits to the neighbours cattle running loose down the road.

My hounds all came to me with excellent leash manners and I have never had any issues with them pulling me around.

Explain to your group that you need a low-prey, non-reactive dog. Then test-walk any potential hound...more than once in a couple of different locations.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Does your group foster dogs? If so, they should have a good sense of which dogs are less reactive on walks. I’m 70 years old, and weigh about 120. I feel much safer walking my 85 pound male than my 60 pound female. She is almost five, but she is still a crazy puppy. Don’t rule out any dog just on the basis of size. They are all individuals. Work with your group, meet the dogs, and walk them. Make sure you share your concerns with your group. Good luck!

Almost every other factor mentioned is more important than gender or size. Low prey drive, overall personality, and cat/small dog tolerant are much more relevant than whether you get a male or female. Most greyhounds are good leash walkers, but you can always improve through training once your grey is home and settled in.

FWIW, right now I have a 53 pound female and a 90 pound female. Both of them have nearly pulled me off my feet. My 70 lb male has, as well. Any dog can, and will, if you're walking without staying aware of your surroundings. Anticipating problems and heading them off before they become a crisis is key.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Reddebz

I think if your worried about it try to get one that has been fostered first, then the foster carer can tell you if a certain one is suitable for you..i agree that weight/ size isn't always the main factor its more the leash manners, and a foster carer will know exactly what they are like. I have a 29kg grey with high prey drive and a 35kg bluexpointer and walk both with my pram with no problems.

My hounds all came to me with excellent leash manners and I have never had any issues with them pulling me around.

:nod

Even my greyhound mix, who is as high prey drive as you can get without actually eating a dachshund, somehow came with excellent leash manners. When my current boys see something prey-like (including deer) on a walk, they stand stock-still and tremble.

Your wife may never want to use a standard harness walking a large dog, since that allows them to pull more.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Low prey drive and a mushy boy dog. I always say that the girls are the brains behind the operation. My 2 female greyhounds were excellent hunters. All of my other dogs, salukis, terriers and greyhound big lovable boys. And none ever lifted a leg in the house .....wait one peed in a bowl of soup on a coffee table. But that's it!

Meh. I walk my four and they outweigh me considerably. One is very high prey (the smallest female) and another is tricky (the other female). My two boys are pretty good, and Hermon is outstanding. Mostly it comes down to practice and training. I've been pulled over once by all four of them, when they all went after a running cat when I was bent over picking up a poop. I've had multiple greys for over 6 years. I also had my mother walking my late greyhound boy. She is tiny, and managed him well.

I'd go for personality and temperament. A smaller dog won't necessarily be easier.

Another thought. Your wife might want to be able to lift the dog up of even carry him some steps if need arises. One of the scariest things is having an injured dog and not being able to help him because he is too heavy to lift up - when anyone else is around. Just my opinion.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I think smurfette makes a good point about needing to be be able to carry/ move the hound in an emergency.

So far as the walking goes - my first greyhound was a big male (38 kilos) with a high prey drive. I am no strapping wench (5' 5") but once we had worked out what was likely to set him off we were fine. IMHO the key is being prepared, and it's also to do with how you walk - you need to be grounded, i.e. keep your centre of gravity in the right place, by walking properly - avoid high heels, keep your back straight back, etc. etc. And keep calm. And then you will be fine, even with a big dog trying to leap around.

And if you don't? Then you may struggle, even with a small dog - I have seen plenty of silly women round here nearly being pulled over by spaniels, French bulldogs, even chihuahuas!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

As others have already said, contact a local group and let them know your concern and I am sure they will find you a pup that you will do fine with. One like my Stewie would do you well, all 80 lbs of him. When walking, he most often beside me or behind me, never pulls and if you walk too far, he'll really be lagging. :). Prey drive will definitely play onto it as well because you are bound to come across a squirrel or cat that darts out in front of you but again, it depends on the pup. I have more trouble walking our 13lb Chipin (Chihuahua/Min Pin) who is super high prey drive than I do my sweet boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

The only thing I've had to worry about for weight is picking them up to put in the car, or if they are old or hurt to help them up (I'm a tiny thing). It's a different story IMO if you don't think you can lift the weight vs. one who doesn't behave on a walk.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

A dog who is properly trained to walk on a leash won't pull you, or anyone else.

Having said that, one of my favorite dog writers says that you have to be "one inch tougher" than your dog, and if you physically cannot handle the dog, it's too much dog for you.

Ask for an older dog (more than 2 or 3) and even consider a bounce, someone who has already been in a home.

My 64 pound male is MUCH stronger than I am, but he's trained, so it's not a problem.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Keep a short leash. I was petite at the time--ha ha. She weighed 68 pounds. I'd only had Sheba for a couple months and really didn't know that much about her yet. I was walking her with a 6-ft leash and let her get to the end of it. Big mistake. She took off after a squirrel, I flew out of my shoes and into the air then smack down on the ground. Broken left humerous (upper arm). She was loose but I managed to catch up to her and grab the leash. We got home, I went to the ER, and all turned out well. Ever since then, she's on a 4-ft leash and I keep her close to me at all times. I'm always on the alert, too. I now know she has a high prey drive (squirrels, cats, skateboarders, small dogs, bicyclists, etc.)

I'm probably one of the taller women on GT, my Johnny is 80#. I'm more likely to pull him around, he likes to stop and sniff and forgets to continue. I use a leather leash, I find them a lot sturdier than nylon. I think she'll be fine if you guys "test walk" a few hounds and see how they go.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Yes, it depends a lot more on the personality of the dog than size, hers or the dogs. I’ve walked big boys with zero prey drive that a child could walk and a small female that could pull a linebacker off his feet :lol I am sure you can find one that is a good match :)

I have had a 57 pound male, a 77 pound female, a 78 pound male and a 65 pound female. Never had any control issues when walking them. My newest girl does have a bit of a prey drive especially around little dogs but i haven't had any times when I felt I wasn't in control or would be pulled off my feet.

Greyhounds tend to walk nice on a leash. You see people being dragged by dogs all the time in the pet stores, the greys may pull because they want to see their friends but walking around the stores they are well mannered.

I'm going to repeat what a lot of people have already said. Ask for a hound with low prey drive and take it on test walks before you adopt. (Keep in mind you can always train leash manners)

I am 5'2", 115lbs, and in my 20s. I adopted a 80+lbs male greyhound last year. He has medium prey drive and came with wonderful leash manners. The only time I've been pulled over was on the side of a steep hill and I was raising the leash over my head at the same time that Rogue was doing his post-poop happy bouncing. I blame that fully on the hill and my leash management hehe! The only other times he's really pulled on the leash were due to spooking and I did not feel in danger of falling or even stumbling.

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

Guest Hera19810

I'll add my two cents. If you can "test drive" before you adopt, you will find a puppy you are comfortable with. My local organization has a kennel and allows the public to walk the dogs. I walked with at least 10 dogs, and with in groups I at least 20 others. I brought home the best behaved on a leash. She is 68 lbs and NEVER pulls. If she sees something interesting, she freezes then stalks, but has never taken off.

Hera is much easier to control than my four previous Whippets.

Good luck!

Just want to put in my two cents worth. Ive worked with ponies, (notoriously head strong), horses, and dogs of various sizes. The same applies to all. The closer you keep them at your side, the less likely you can be pulled off balance. If they can get up a head of steam, and that can take only a foot or two, the more likely they can catch you by surprise. Yes, I have a six foot leash and use it daily. When I walk I look ahead, not at the dog, not at the ground, and constantly scan for what might interest the dog, horse , or pony. Seldem am I taken by surprise by the local coveys of quail, bunnies, or other dogs. Love my four footed friends, but I look out for my own self interest first.

Here's another consideration--dogs that jump on people. Johnny can knock me down, I know he's excited, but he could really hurt someone. I think he's finally getting the idea that yes, I'm happy to see you too, but I don't need a broken tailbone!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

My husband and I got our boy Steve 2 years ago. He's 85 lbs and 33 inches tall. He's a big boy!! I'm like 5'3, and like 130lb. I was worried about his size but honestly I've walked smaller dogs who have given me WAY more problems than our stevie. It's all about their personality, and who is in charge. He knows when the leash is on, im in charge and that it. Also, I think Grey's have a sign when they are interested in chasing something. If steve sees something he stops in his tracks, his ear fold forward and he stares, as soon as he does that i pat him on the head and maybe choke up on his leash a bit more. You're got nothing to worry about, just find the right grey for you!