Lydia Kate (Skiddy Landau) 11-6-00---6-8-15

queenwinniesmom

A tribute to Lydia is something I've thought about for quite a while. When a dog is 14 1/2, can't do steps anymore, and seems to be gradually slipping away, it's something that you think about, even though you try not to. Over the last few months, I could see her growing older and more frail. It was harder to remember when she was young and vital, and though I loved her just as much, if not more, it made me sad. I knew the day would come when I'd have to find the words to describe a dog who was my true heart dog, I just didn't know that it would be now. I posted about this sadness, the loss of Tess just a little over 2 weeks ago, and Evangelina joining our family. It's in Everything Else Greyhound---Evangelina and Lydia, happiness and heartbreak. That's the sad back story. So this is the story that Lydia deserves.

I remember the day we met almost 10 years ago so clearly. On the Fourth of July, a group of us from Going Home Greyhounds went to the kennels at Wheeling to pick up foster dogs. Someone pointed out my new foster in the distance, a good sized brindle with a white face, so thrilled to see us that she was literally jumping up and putting her feet on people's shoulders. Great, I thought, an old dog, and not very well behaved. I was wrong about the age---she was only 4---but she WAS pretty darn exuberant. She came home with us, and it was clear from the very first day that she was staying. She walked into my house and my heart as if I had known her in another life. I'd had a dream about a dog named Lydia, and that's exactly who she was. She seemed to love me beyond reason, something I'd always hoped for in a dog. Little did I know that Lydia loved EVERYONE beyond reason. I was just the lucky person who got to share her life. And it was a very good life. She traveled all over, and elevated smoozing to an art form, leaning against total strangers and looking at them adoringly. "Aw, this one really likes me," so many people said to me, and I didn't have the heart to tell them that that was the way she looked at everybody. She never discriminated. Lydia adored people who were loud, ignorant, stinky, stuck up, and obviously intoxicated. But she somehow managed to strike a chord within them, and when they walked away, they were smiling. I'll never know exactly how her magic worked, but I never doubted that it was real. The only thing I feel a little guilty about is that I didn't put her in the position to make even more people happy. We should have been out there every weekend, rocking Meet and Greets, and spreading the Greyhound love. I do know she was responsible for many Greyhound adoptions. Never modest, shy, and retiring, she knew how good she was. Honestly, it was all about Lydia. We didn't mind that she was a bit of a prima donna and drama queen. Nail trims involved a few GSODs, and she was not above trying to bite you if she didn't like something you were doing. And she would NOT be taken down those evil steps, no matter how we tried to do it. But those were just a few facets of her multi-faceted personality. She was happy ALWAYS, lying close to me on the couch with her head on my lap, or on a road trip (a road trip is a chance to smooze), and especially when she was the center of attention. But she deserved it, and she was worth it.

She was also so effortlessly elegant, and incredibly beautiful, especially so as she grew older, and her face turned almost totally silver. She was uncannily intuitive, not only with people she'd just met, but especially with me, knowing exactly when I needed her comfort the most. I miss that so deeply. I would give anything just to feel her soft fur again, to have her roll right up next to me in bed and ease the pain of whatever sadness I might be feeling. The ache in my heart is huge, but we knew for certain that it was time to let her go. We had the vet come to the house, and she was able to lay on her bed and slip away in my arms, without pain or fear, doing it her way, right till the last moment. It's the end of an era, and she's running with her sisters, happy and healthy and young.

I'll love you and miss you forever, my one in a million dog.

These are some of my favorite pictures. Most of them I've posted before, but I love them so much, and they capture her spirit. ETA---I found more special pics. Added in post #13.

The day we met at the kennel

lydiaatkennel.jpg

Shortly after she decided to stay

Lydiagrasspose.jpg

My 3 angel girls

brindles.jpg

Lydgreensunrise2.jpg

NancyLydwinery1.jpg

NancyhugsLydia.jpg

NancyLydiafence1.jpg

backturned2.jpg

So many smoozing pics. This was where she really existed, what she loved to do.

With Dave and Brooke at Dewey

DavidLydBrooke1.jpg

With Steve at Gettysburg

LydiaSteve-1.jpg

Lydialittlegirl.jpg

Sorry, Doug, but this is a classic. It always was all about Lydia.

comfortable.jpg

This has been my profile picture on Facebook since I joined, but it's one that I love. That's Lydia and me at dawn on Dewey Beach, Polly and Tess looking on. All 3 of my girls, angels now.

2girlslookatmeLyd.jpg

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Nancy, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Hugs to you.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Lydia :wub: :wub: .

I'm so sorry she had to leave you.

Godspeed, perfect girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

A beautiful tribute for your most beautiful Lydia.

:f_pink:brokenheart:gh_lay:brokenheart:f_pink

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I'm so sorry, Nancy and Doug. Way too much loss in such a short period of time.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

She was so beautiful. I am so very sorry.

Run free Lydia, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I realized I have too many pictures of me, and I couldn't find some of my favorites.

Just a few more?

My very favorite

LydsunrisePetMe.jpg

So many people to smooze, not enough time.

Lydialoves.jpg

Even at the Viet Nam memorial

Lydwall2.jpg

This young girl at the Ithaca Farmer's Market fell in love.

Lydfriend1.jpg

Lydiascarf2.jpg

Modeling her hat for the Hope For Hounds auction

Lydhat1.jpg

The silliest pic of all.

funnyLydiaandCalvin.jpg

DSC04216.jpg

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Lydia :beatheart and her infectious smile :beatheart Nancy, the photo of Lydia roaching with Doug was one of the first pics that caught me when I joined GT, an absolute fav. But the photos of Lydia Meeting and Greeting every day of her life are just precious. You have a way when you tell a story, even though I never met Lydia in the real I feel as though I knew her. Thank you for sharing your beautiful girl with us. I am so sorry for the Lydia-sized hole in your hearts right now :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Such a lovely lady. I am sooo sorry she had to go. To stroke the soft fur again- can't tell you how many times I have thought that about my Momma Seabird. Lydia is one of those special ones who set the bar higher than most of us can ever aspire to. Such love she shared!-just think of the houndies she helped find homes for. That alone is a ton of love she gifted humans and dogs with. That is a beautiful tribute. My deepest sympathy.

:f_pink :f_pink :f_red:f_pink :f_pink :gh_lay

Guest chickenpotpie

There are dogs you just get attached to. I didn't know Lydia, never met her, but I felt like I knew her. They all have such beautiful souls and its hard to let them go. My heart is breaking for you.

Nancy, thank you so much for posting the picture of Dave and the girls. It's always been my favourite. it somehow feels like an era has ended, but I hope some day to meet another greyhound similar to Lydia because Lydia was one in a million.

I know you're heartbroken and I wish i had words of comfort, but I don't. I hope Evangelina helps ease the pain.

(((hugs)))

Jan, Dave and the pups.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

What a wonderful life of love and SMOZZING she had with you !! The travel, the adventure and the LOVE - shines thru all the photos and will be

forever in your heart!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I'm so sorry that you and Doug had to say goodbye to your beautiful Lydia. Too much loss in too short of a time. We will raise a glass in honor of all our precious bridge babies at Grapehounds this year.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)