Urgent... Need Advice For Truman

a_daerr

Hope Truman is doing better!

Interesting though. I give Cash trazadone on top of her paxil frequently with no adverse reaction like this. Poor Trummie! :kiss2

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just getting caught up. Glad to see you have an answer and Truman is on the mend. Not fun to deal with this on top of everything else. :( Hope he's back to his usual self in no time!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

So glad to read he's doing better. Sending good thoughts that he's completely back to normal tomorrow. :goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

my God, how scary :( :( :( sending prayers for you both!!! :hope :Hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Giselle

Glad he's feeling better!!

Out of curiosity, what is the dose on Truman's prozac and how quickly did you start him on it? How many weeks has it been? Do you know anything about the Trazodone dose? To be honest, I've only very very very rarely heard of serotonin syndrome, so I'm wondering if it's a matter of dosing...

Serotonin Syndrome can come on fast and be very scary, even deadly. Some people (and presumably dogs) can safely take multiple Serotonine influencing drugs indefinitly without trouble, others have a problem right away, and it can happen to some people (and presumably dogs) even with unusual pairings not commonly thought to be problematic. The good news is, once he's turned the corner and started improving he should stay on that track and continue to improve.

Eta: Serotonin Syndrome is not necessarily dose specific. It can happen very rapidly, even with small doses of the drug to some people, and not at all to others even on other doses. Last I read up on it and discussed it with an MD, there is still very little information about why some people are affected and not others and whether or not a single incident on one combination makes a reoccurence with other combinations more likely.

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Just catching up on this. How scary. What a good mom you are for observing so closely.

I know when one of mine isn't feeling well, and if I make an off comment to someone not "in the know" of dogs, they wonder how I can tell. They are your BABIES and know the second something isn't right.

Do you know how he happened to get a hold of a pill he presumably shouldn't have had?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Just seeing this! Wow, you must have been scared to death. Good to see that your sweet boy is improving---hope he continues to do so!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Do you know how he happened to get a hold of a pill he presumably shouldn't have had?

Yeah, I give Henry his pills in a glob of peanut butter and spoon it on top of his kibble. He must've spit that one out and left it in his bowl. Then I'm guessing Truman swooped in and ate it when Henry walked away. It probably still tasted like peanut butter. I'm definitely going to be more diligent about making sure Henry actually swallows his pills from now on. It was a good thing that I kept a medi-minder organized so I knew exactly what pills were given, and we were able to narrow it down from there.

Giselle, the dosage for his Prozac is 40mg, and the Trazadone is 100mg. But the vet explained that it's less of a Seratonin 'overdose' per se. Some dogs are just sensitive to certain psychotropics or combinations thereof. There's no way to test for it to make a definitive diagnosis. But according to the toxicologist, his symptoms should have improved in 8-12 hours when the Trazadone's half life ran out. Everything was pretty diagnostically consistent with SS.

Even at this point, 27 hours later, he is still acting a bit ataxic and weak, but he is starting to come around. He ate and drank this evening and has been resting a lot. It could be up to 72 hours before he is completely back to normal.

It certainly was a very scary experience, though, and hard to watch your dog act that way. It was like watching a partial seizure go on for hours upon hours. The pads and underside of his feet were bright red from standing and pacing for that long. Trumie's antics definitely got the better of him this time. :(

Aww, poor guy. So glad he's calming down now.

FWIW, I think this is something many of us are unfamiliar with and will now be aware of and have present in our mind if we see a dog on those meds having similar symptoms. So hopefully his antics will help some other dogs in the future.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thinking of Truman!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Might ask your vet if Truman should avoid peanut butter while on that dose of Prozac. Foods rich in tryptophan/omega 3 fatty acids increase serotonin levels (peanut butter, turkey, pumpkin, etc.).

Just a thought: If your vet is keeping Truman on Prozac, if needed, a slightly lower dose might work better going forward than it did initially (when the new drug was just beginning to build in his system).

Hopefully the pharmacy or vet clinic provided a Fluoxetine (Prozac) drug warning leaflet including abnormal side effects like muscle tremors, reduced appetite, stool changes, plus many more. If not, might be helpful to find one on-line from the drug manufacturer.

If interested, and if your hounds are difficult to administer pills, this device is helpful: http://www.entirelypets.com/pillgun.html

I'm relieved Truman didn't fall into grand mal seizures coupled with all his symptoms. Glad he's recovering well in his home environment. What a huge relief that you were home to see him struggling, and got him to the ER in time. Hope you can all rest better this week.

Edited by 3greytjoys