Urgent... Need Advice For Truman

a_daerr

Last night, around 2AM, I took Truman to the e-vet after he started showing fairly severe signs of ataxia. Pacing, sniffing, restless, uncoordinated, unable to settle, dilated pupils. He looked really bad, and I was hoping it wasn't bloat. Got him to the e-vet. His temp and CBC looked normal, but blood pressure and heart rate were through the roof. No other signs to indicate bloat. After talking to the attending, our best guess was that he got one of Henry's Trazadone and was having an adverse reaction. They treated him as they would for toxins, pushed fluids and activated charcoal. The attending called this morning and said he still seemed anxious, but that it was probably anxiety from being in hospital around so many other dogs and people. She said it was probably best that he came home, since he was refusing to eat for them (which I thought was very weird, he loves food).

We picked him up about an hour ago, and since he's been home, he's still acting very strange. Pacing, panting, very unsteady on his feet, refusing food and water. For about 15 minutes, he was just going from room to room sniffing. I'm a little worried at this point, because if the underlying cause of this was the Trazadone, it's been 16+ hours since he would have ingested it. Shouldn't it have worn off by now? If he got more sedatives at the e-vet, though, I wonder if he's reacting to those?

My worry is that something is majorly wrong. I'm going to call the e-vet back and our regular vet, but I'm just wondering if anybody has had experience with these symptoms? Anything I should be looking for? Help is appreciated.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are meds that can do that (butorphanol and tramadol for example). But I would call the vets. Hope it is just meds and he will settle soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No ideas Alicia, just good thoughts for Truman.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest grey_dreams

No real advice, but maybe because he was so anxious at the vet, it might take him longer than an hour at home to calm down? Would probably talk with the vet about the continuing symptoms. Sending lots of good thoughts for Truman :grouphug

If it was the Trazodone, could it have been more than one pill? The only time I've given it to Mazy it was 1/2 half of a 100mg and it wore off exact 8 hours later.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Could it be his eyesight? just a thought

hope he feels better soon!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

We're at the vet now. No change. Waiting to see what comes next.

No real advice, but maybe because he was so anxious at the vet, it might take him longer than an hour at home to calm down?

I wondered that too, but his behavior was really bizarre, going from room to room sniffing and pacing. It wasn't his regular nervous behavior.

Seems like quite a stretch to blame this on Trazodone 16+ hours later esp since he was given charcoal and fluids./quote]

My thoughts too. :(

Edited by a_daerr

One of our hounds had a mild TIA stroke with ataxia several years ago but was fully recovered by the next day.

If you have to leave Truman at the hospital again, please ask them to call you if his anxiety increases too much. Seeing you or relaxing with you in his own familiar (cushioned) environment of your car may help him relax.

Positive thoughts for your vet pinpointing Truman's diagnosis, and treatment soon.

Thanks everybody. I think we finally got some answers. Dr. Hill, our regular vet, called in a phone consult to a veterinary toxicologist. They suspect Truman has Serotonin Syndrome. A few weeks ago, he was prescribed Prozac to help with anxiety and compulsive licking. Backstory- he started showing a lot of anxious behaviors following Henry's cancer diagnosis and treatment. We decided to try SSRIs to help with the adjustment. The Trazadone pill combined with the Prozac sent his system into Serotonin overload.

Luckily, we did all the right things by hospitalizing him and pushing fluids. At this point, there's not a whole lot else to do. They could give him medication to sedate him, but he's sensitive to a lot of those kinds of drugs. Also, sedatives could potentially drag the symptoms out longer. Although still "not himself," he had improved somewhat by the time we left the vet's office. His heart rate and temperature came down, and blood pressure was normal again. Both Dr. Hill and the toxicologist recommended bringing him home and waiting it out for another day. If he gets any worse, we'll head back to the e-vet for more fluid therapy.

In the last few hours, he ate a small amount of food and FINALLY laid down to rest. He's sleeping peacefully on my lap. :D

Oh wow, how scary! Glad he seems to be doing better now :) What a relief!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--