Unclear Diagnosis, Opinions Welcome.

Guest bredlo

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bredlo

She looks great! Did you decide to do Chemo?

Thanks for asking. Chemo is something we've been slow to consider. Then again, we weren't considering amputation either until it was nearly too late.

Given her long recovery and all these antibiotics, we weren't able to do make any decisions about chemo anyhow. We've just now been given the official "all clear" by the surgeon as of last Friday; he's very pleased with the outcome, and of course we are too. Nell is more excited about life and walks, sniffing, peeing, watching cars, approaching other dogs... than we've seen in a long, long time. She's truly happy to be here, and we couldn't ask for any better indication that we did the right thing.

We have an appointment with a highly recommended oncologist this Friday, to weigh our options and ask lots of questions. My thinking - as of this moment - is that we've invested so much time, discomfort and money to get this far... that we should "finish the job" if it will likely, measurably, extend her life. I'd hate to have gone through all this and still say goodbye a few months from now. It makes sense to try and get the most out of everything we've been through, including little Nell.

I'll let you all know where the thinking is after our first meeting regarding chemo. Thanks, everybody, for caring... and give your hounds a big hug from us!

...we've invested so much time, discomfort and money to get this far... that we should "finish the job" if it will likely, measurably, extend her life.

We were in the same position with Henry. Our oncologist said (for lack of better words), it would be really stupid and a huge waste not to do chemo. The amputation gets rid of the initial pain from the osteolytic lesions, but all it does is buy you some time. It doesn't stop the cancer from spreading. A lot of people associate chemo with our ideas of "human chemo" (i.e. constantly feeling sick, vomiting, hair loss). But in canines, the dose is significantly less. The most common symptoms are diarrhea and nausea, however, those are managed well by prophylactic medications. Here is my Henry running (far left) and playing a day after his fourth chemo treatment.

10ntb8h.jpg

If you can afford to proceed with the chemo treatments, I would. You've already come so far. The worst part is over.

Pinky did 5 rounds of Carboplatin and had, quite literally, ZERO side effects. Healthy appetite, no diarrhea, no lethargy (except being tired after spending the morning at the vet instead of napping :lol but that's from the excitement and activity, not from the chemo itself).

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest bredlo

Thanks, both of you. Unfortunately, cost is one of the bigger factors at this point giving me concern. I'm most afraid of how big the estimates will be when we talk to them on Friday about our choice of methods and doses.

The initial amp, extra week at the hospital, and subsequent infection has set us back around $7k, and while I can't even fathom making a life or death decision based on a dollar figure... it could represent at least a small part of the equation. Obviously we'll do anything and everything we can to minimize its role in what we decide.

Second-guessing euthanasia, surgeries, quality of life and all these other questions is one thing... but what a stomach-churning thing for someone to give up on their pet simply because they can't afford it. Yet for many pet owners, I imagine it dictates all too many of these decisions.

:(

Thanks, both of you. Unfortunately, cost is one of the bigger factors at this point giving me concern. I'm most afraid of how big the estimates will be when we talk to them on Friday about our choice of methods and doses.

Totally understandable. I would never fault anyone for not pursuing treatment if they couldn't afford it. We were lucky enough to have pet insurance that covered 90% of Henry's treatment, otherwise, we'd be in the exact same boat. The chemo itself isn't terribly expensive, but everything starts adding up when you factor in the cost of additional bloodwork, chest x-rays, prophylactic medications, and various oncology consults. We did five rounds, and each one was between $300-$500. Even though we're totally done with chemo, we're still not out of the woods yet financially. Our oncologist wants Henry monitored and tested every three months for the next year.

If you're using a big vet practice or a university, there might be a nonprofit available to help defray the cost. You could also apply for Care Credit, which is essentially a credit card that allows you to make zero interest payments over a period of time. I'm sure they'll discuss those options with you.

At one point in time OSU with Dr. Couto on board had a Greyhound Health and Wellness program that helped in situations like this. Dr. Couto has since left, so I'm not sure where to go exactly for the help. (free chemo, you just pay for your vet to administer it).

Dr. Couto will be at GIG next weekend talking about something new and exciting. And I believe it's in regards to a new Greyhound Health and Wellness program.

try contacting him. (better yet, come to Gettysburg next weekend!!)

Doesn't OSU do the free chemo anymore? I'm fairly certain that they do. We got the free Carboplatin for Pinky. Just had to pay our vet to administer it (with bloodwork included it was about $250 each visit). From what our vet was telling us though, the Carboplatin is not that expensive if you have to purchase it. I think a couple hundred dollars...

I didn't have pet insurance for Pinky or any of my other dogs (by the time things like that were widely available, my dogs were at advanced ages)...so I paid for it all (single income, and not a big one either). I'm still paying for it, along with the other care that my other dogs needed in their later years. I do struggle sometimes financially but I have a roof over my head and a nice car to drive, and a job. And even though sometimes paying the bills is stressful and moving money around is a chore, I'd never EVER change a single choice that I made for Pinky or any of my other pups.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

We are going through the same thing with our lab/pyr cross. I actually misunderstood the pricing of the chemo - (it's WAY more expensive in Canada) and was shocked to find out what the actual price of 6 sessions was...but we elected to carry on as we were already in to it so deeply $$$ from the radiation and as not to waste what we had already spent, we carried on with the best possible treatment.

I continue to marvel at the medical miracle of the treatment every day, knowing she would have been dead in Dec. if we hadn't gone forward with it. It is truly sad not every one has the means to proceed.

Second-guessing euthanasia, surgeries, quality of life and all these other questions is one thing... but what a stomach-churning thing for someone to give up on their pet simply because they can't afford it. Yet for many pet owners, I imagine it dictates all too many of these decisions.

:(

The 14K I spent treating Trinkett's osteo is exactly why all my pets since then have had insurance. And when I was faced with spending 6K on Pixie for life-enhancing (not life-saving) surgeries, it did make it much easier not to have to worry as much about the costs.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest bredlo

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I'll be following up with OSU to see about discounts, rebates and freebies, if available. ;)

In the meantime, we went in expecting just a consultation this morning. The oncologist was sweet, enthusiastic, extremely intelligent and confident.

She loved Nell, petting and holding her the whole time we talked. Long story short - we decided to go ahead with the first round, on the spot. We had to leave her there to shuffle cars around, and I'll be picking her up in a half hour.

We can back out at any point during the process, and of course we'll be watching the financial end carefully as well. But at around $300 per visit for a recommended 8 visits... it currently seems quite manageable, and something we're excited to follow through with. Nell has been such an incredible trooper... of course also benefitting from many things she had no control over: clear chest x-rays, the clean amputation, how well she's handled the meds, and of course the silver lining of her infection. We simply couldn't stop at this stage with the estimates with / without treatments.

We'll continue to enjoy every day with both our girls - all those hugs, kisses and snuggles surely acting as the best medicine for all of us.

I'll let you know tomorrow how she's feeling after this first round. Hugs to you all.

Edited by bredlo

When I told Molly to the oncologist, I was expecting just a consult as well, and was surprised that they wanted to do the first treatment right away! I did, and like you, I think it was about $300. I didn't follow through with more treatments, so yes, you can stop at any time. I hope the lovely Miss Nell does well with the chemo and it helps prolong her life!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bredlo

Hi all,

Nell wanted me to send along warm 'hellos' and a little dance. We've made the appointment for her second round of chemo, and I just got off the phone with OSU a little while ago. They'll be sending four doses of Carboplatin, which was mentioned earlier in the thread. Our oncologist is alternating between that and another called Doxorubicin.

Thanks for suggesting to contact them - I wouldn't have thought of it, and every little bit is helpful, and they couldn't have been more sweet on the phone.

Love to all your pups, hope they're as happy and healthy as our girls.

Guest kar

don't know if this could be it but scotch had a pin in his leg due to a hock fracture - leg got infected and raw -pin ended up being loose and had to be removed.

:clap Yay is right!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

What an inspiring video of beautiful Nell! That tunnel y'all went through was long, dark, & miserable.......

but just look at her light shining now!!! Prayers that the chemo beats the nasty disease into remission for a good long while.

Congratulations to all of you......and hugs all round!!!!!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I hope Nell's first Chemo went well. One thing we noticed when Charlie has Chemo was that certain foods he loved, e.g. bananas, he would not touch. Once he was done the 5 rounds, he loved them again.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.