Unclear Diagnosis, Opinions Welcome.

Guest bredlo

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Nell wanted me to send along warm 'hellos' and a little dance. We've made the appointment for her second round of chemo, and I just got off the phone with OSU a little while ago. They'll be sending four doses of Carboplatin, which was mentioned earlier in the thread. Our oncologist is alternating between that and another called Doxorubicin.

Thanks for suggesting to contact them - I wouldn't have thought of it, and every little bit is helpful, and they couldn't have been more sweet on the phone.

Love to all your pups, hope they're as happy and healthy as our girls.

Nell looks wonderful!!

Did the oncologist mention why s/he had chosen to alternate between the two chemo drugs? I am curious because the same treatment plan has been recommended for my girl Jaynie so I am trying to gather as much information as possible. Thank you!

Hi all,

Nell wanted me to send along warm 'hellos' and a little dance. We've made the appointment for her second round of chemo, and I just got off the phone with OSU a little while ago. They'll be sending four doses of Carboplatin, which was mentioned earlier in the thread. Our oncologist is alternating between that and another called Doxorubicin.

Thanks for suggesting to contact them - I wouldn't have thought of it, and every little bit is helpful, and they couldn't have been more sweet on the phone.

Love to all your pups, hope they're as happy and healthy as our girls.

I've probably watched this video fifteen times in the last hour. I also sent it to my husband, who I'm sure has watched it multiple times. This evening, we'll pick up Diamond who (also at ten and a half) had a rear leg amp with a partial pelvectomy on Saturday. This video was just what we needed to remind us that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. THANK YOU, and tons of good wishes for Nell.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bredlo

This video was just what we needed to remind us that there's a light at the end of the tunnel....

Hi, everyone.

Valerie, I was so touched by the way Nell's video lifted your spirits that I've waited a week to post this. However, I've silently followed Diamond's progress on the Osteo thread, and it's obvious your angel has already come a long way. We're thrilled to see her progress.

Last Tuesday morning - after a month of running, tug-of-war, and loving life... our girl woke up with the faintest cough. There was a small puddle of blood on her bed. It was 3 months to the day of her surgery. A month since beating her infection and her first treatment. Four days after I shot that video.

Our minds raced. Melissa's eyes welled up. And we prayed the clear x-ray from just 3 weeks earlier was stronger evidence than what was in front of us. Hours later, a new x-ray showed masses in her lungs and throat, and we found ourselves planning our final three days with our girl, not wanting her to live in a slow decline. By the end, her appetite faded, and I was again carrying her most of the time, which she seemed to adore.

When it was all over, I posted this on Facebook for family and friends.

On Tuesday, we learned that Nell's time with us was coming to an end.

We've fought so hard to get through this long winter, beyond her health problems. She stood, then hopped, and was soon galloping alongside us - playfully throwing her hip into us as she always had. Again she pulled us towards every meadow, and lowered her head in sad protest when we turned towards home.

Our sweet girl never ceased to inspire us with her quiet intelligence, her awareness, her acceptance. Melissa and I went back to planning the next adventure: in our Airstream visiting family, national parks, rocky coastlines. Nell stood squarely in the center of every one of our daydreams: a companion who lived to soak in the newness of each place, never once complaining.

Because of the life we gave her, the cascades of tears we've shed this week have fallen only onto deep, rich fields of gratitude. We haven't wasted many opportunities with our dogs, and we made sure her final three days would be no different. She felt the water between her toes at the beach, and squinted into the wind on long car rides while Melissa lay next to her in the backseat. She lapped up cups of vanilla ice cream, and napped with us in a grove of pine trees that we pretended was someplace far away. When yesterday morning finally arrived, we drove to the vet in a pouring rain, taking stock of our time with her... and finding nothing to regret.

Time Traveler crossed her finish line in our arms, on her bed snuggling her stuffed bear, and hearing the same words we've whispered every single day since we became ours.

We love you. You're such a good girl. Thank you for being ours.

Melissa and I thank every one of you who've crossed paths with our Nell these past six years.

None of you have ever expressed anything besides love and gentleness, and her life was richer for it.

That deep appreciation extends to all of you, too. We were so fortunate to benefit from your expertise, encouragement and willingness to share your experiences. It has made our challenges far easier to bear. We never expected it to end this soon, but compared to standing at this same precipice in February... we're so grateful she left this world restored, free from pain, and knowing how adored she is.

Love to you, and your beautiful hounds.

n1.jpg

n1.5.jpg

n2.jpg

n3.jpg

I'm so sorry for your heartbreaking loss. Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Beautiful words for a beautiful soul that touched us all!!!

I'm sorry it was her time to go ~ :candle

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Oh no-I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to hear that it was time for your baby to cross. She was so lucky to have such wonderful caring people in her life. I believe you felt that perhaps you were the lucky ones. May her warm memories help heal your heart.

Tails hanging low today :-) <3

I can't even think.... much less speak.... that is the worst news I've heard in a month, since my own senior went into kidney failure.

Nell, you were loved by so many... I am crying and I never even met you... I'm so sorry sweetheart.... you gave it one hell of a fight.... run free now and wait for your mom, dad, and sister at the rainbow bridge, where you will meet again... god bless, sweet Angel :weep :weep :weep :weep :weep :weep

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. Your Nell was absolutely beautiful, and it sounds like she lived a beautiful life.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I am so very sorry. Your tribute for your beautiful girl moved me to tears. Oh, to be so loved and know it - what a gift for everyone.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so sorry for your loss of Nell. How heartbreaking this must be. May she live forever in your heart. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest LazyBlaze

Oh no. That is the saddest news. I'm so so sorry you've lost your beautiful Nell. She stole all of our hearts.

Oh what tragic news. But what a beautiful tribute you've written for your sweet Nell.

You loved her enough to share her with us, and we loved her too.

She was most certainly your shining star in this life, I hope that the pain in your hearts

will be eased just by knowing how much she loved you, too.

Hang on to that light, sweet Nell, your family will be together again one day.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I come back to this thread from time to time for news of your Nell, and found tears running down my face reading your sad news.

My heart breaks for both of you, who will always be joined to Nell with the strong, invisible bonds of love. May you find peace in that love and all the special memories. :f_white