Never Give Up On A Greyhound, A Success Story :)

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

It's true, we hear so many of the problem situations with new adoptions on this forum and I was no exception last year with Miami. He had some serious fear "issues" and took a long, long, time to settle in. It was painful (literally) for all of us. I though of tossing in the towel many times and my most of my friends and family thought we were nuts for not returning him.....

Well, today I wanted to share one of our success stories! Miami is truly another dog, these days. I always take Mr. Miami to the vet (with his muzzle) to have his nails trimmed. Today, I wanted to try it myself. Last year, Miami would try to bite me and my DH when we even tried to put his leash on, forget touching his feet, which were plagued with painful corns.

Today, corn free, and trusting us completely, my baby boy FELL ASLEEP with his head in DH's lap while I carefully trimmed up each tootsie.

God, I love my big, handsome, boy :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

So while, yes, sometimes its not a good match and returning is the best option, but.....sometimes.....it just takes time, patience, the help of experienced people, and good lovin'

IMAG3459_zpsoco2w6yv.jpg

look how happy my angel is:

IMAG2543-1-1_zpstgwhfdfs.jpg

AWH! What a feel good story. We've been there so many time to help Kasey. He's learned that when we call him over to take care of something - we truly are helping him and he will feel better when we are done. It's amazing what time and patience can do!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

That is awesome! It's great to hear that in time, any pup will eventually gain your trust. So happy that Miami has progressed so far.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Good boy Miami!

Good job Mom!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Yay you! I know how gratifying these moments can be, especially when do to your hard work!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

How wonderful :beatheart . Miami is so fortunate to have found such a dedicated and persistent family. And this just goes to show that persistence, patience, and time will pay off in the end :)

You "done good" - all of you!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Wonderful story :) Someday, when my son and DSS are grown, I would love to take some of the problem greys/unadoptables and work with them. But right now, there are unfortunately certain behavioral issues that we can't have in the house.

I can tolerate a lot from a pet. Sammi was SOOOOO shy, she was a boderline spook when we adopted her. But thankfully, she has never tried to snap or bite. I can live with the SA, the shyness that means we can't go to meet & greets (even if there were any around here), and occasional accidents because of the SA. But while there are minors in the house, I couldn't deal with biting :(

But someday! Someday I will be able to say, "Give me the most difficult, neurotic, unlovable, problem child-pet you have." When I was fresh out of college, I had ferrets & no kids. They were my fur babies. One day, i was called by a friend to do a rescue pick up. A little female that was caught in someone's shed. She was flea ridden and terrified. Luckily I had acrylic nails. When i went to check her teeth, she bit down so hard she went through my glove and shattered the acrylic on my index finger. She was a vicious little terror. But i worked with her. I wouldn't give up. Then to compound issues, she was intact! She went into heat and had to be operated on. I nursed her back to health. And then she went blind shortly after the surgery :( She learned to trust me, and eventually my xDH. She became such a sweet little thing :wub: it was such a heart-warming feeling to see her learn to trust and become one of my favorite pets.

Good job, all of you!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:clap:confetti Well done!

Gosh, he's just beautiful! :wub:

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:beatheart :beatheart :beatheart Yay for a story with a happy ending!

:nod

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest MrsKuchta

So glad to hear of a greyt success story. The first few days with Roobie were really hard, and we thought we were going to have to return her because of some prey drive with the cats...but it has been over a month now and we are SO glad we stuck it out. She's been such a life changing addition to our family and even thought we are still working on the cats I would never dream of life without her. So glad to hear Miami found a wonderful home. :-)