A Gift From The Duchess

MarcR

This happened a few nights ago, but tonight seemed like the perfect time to share it...

I was walking into the master bath to get my shower when I stepped on something hard and sharp edged. When I picked the object up, it was clearly a dog's nail - KNOT a clipping, but an entire nail that had been ripped off. It was dry with no blood - definitely not fresh. It was also quite thick and heavy. Only Nadia had nails like that. And of all my hounds, she was the only one to lose a nail except Kara. Kara had lost a dew claw, but this was far too robust for that. Then I remembered that Nadia had a nail missing sometime last year. Since there was never any sign of the missing nail in the house, I assumed she had snagged it somewhere in the yard.

So it would seem that rainbows and butterflies are not the Duchess's style. She somehow managed to send me a little piece of herself.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest bigbrindlebunny

You bet she did!

Funny, I was just thinking of her yesterday. It was her royal stink eye I had in mind when I saw that picture of Gracie Rose in the WFUBCC.

You're right Marc, any gal with a stink eye like the Duchess is not going to send you butterflies, but she did send you love in her own way.

Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit for without being seen, they are present with you. St. Francis de Sales

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

She knew better than to be subtle with you, Marc!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

You bet she did!

Funny, I was just thinking of her yesterday. It was her royal stink eye I had in mind when I saw that picture of Gracie Rose in the WFUBCC.

You're right Marc, any gal with a stink eye like the Duchess is not going to send you butterflies, but she did send you love in her own way.

Funny Gracie Rose would make you think of the Duchess... they were sisters from another mother

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest PhillyPups

So typically The Duchess, she does everythng on her OWN terms thank you. :beatheart I love this story, and I also want to remind everyone that you DO keep a clean home and vacuum frequently. :lol

Well, Marc, if you didn't believe in signs this must have surely changed that. What a wonderful nudge from the Duchess. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

.....when you care enough to send the very best........toenail? She was always unique, so you shouldn't be surprised that the "gift" was much the same.

There will forever be only one...................The Duchess of Blackwood.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

however they can let us know is ok by me :) good girl, Nadia!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

She was just finding a way to make you bow down to her one more time. That's what made her "The Duchess."

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

That sent shivers up and down my spine.

Rest well, special girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wow the Duchess really is still cracking the whip over the help isn't she? She'll have the white gloves out next testing for dust! No relaxing her exacting standards now Marc!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren