N Fracine Aka Elsie Lou

RobinM

N fracine aka Elsie, Elsie Lou, Lou Lou bean, looooooooooooou

May 9, 1999 - November 10, 2012

Osteosarcoma robs another precious life. This has got to stop.

I saw Elsie's stunning profile picture on the Kansas greyhound support site just a few short weeks after losing poli to osteo. She wasn't a petite pretty girl, but Elsie was a strong looking and handsome girl. Rich said like Kate Hepburn. Her racing owner who took wonderful care of her described her as "she thinks she's 2 and loves to run, otherwise she's a quiet girl".

Elsie was a fabulous racer and one word to decribe her on the track was speed speed and more speed until she had an injury that retired her and brought her from jckc ( the track she raced at) back to OK, the farm she came from to have puppies. Retired from brood duties after 2 litters because of "female issues" Elsie was put up for adoption and came east to me 3 weeks shy of her 10th birthday. 3 months later, Elsie developed mammary cancer but being the strong and determined girl she was along with my caring, supportive and well informed vet, after her lumpectomies which had clean margins, she beat it.

Elsie loved to run and play, she loved hide and seek behind the bushes in our backyard. And up until 2 weeks ago, she was running and playing. she was always the last one standing at greyhound playdates. all the younger dogs would be sound asleep and wiped out, but elsie would be wide awake and exploring.

The part about "she's a quiet girl" could not have been more wrong!!! Elsie had the biggest mouth ever. She learned early on if she barks, she will get what he wants. What was amazing was that she didn't look like a hippo with the amount of cookies she demanded and I mean demanded by relentless barking. But her favorite thing to do was to bark incessantly when I was on the phone. This ensured plenty of cookies. And she loved her cookies, but the one thing Elsie loved more than anything was me. What an honor it was that she picked me to love as much as she did. It was a perfect combo because I loved her more. We were a team. Where I was, Elsie was. She made sure of that. I always thought she thought I was one of her puppies that she could boss me around.

Elsie made it very clear from the beginning that I was one of her puppies and she loved me so very much. Rich, she tolerated and once she realized she could brow beat him too, he wasn't so bad. he had a use as far as she was concerned. Everyone else, she could leave but me? Omg she had to be with me. If we were at a greyhound event or friends house and I went somewhere to see something or speak to someone, she would be with ears erect -eye scanning the crowd looking for me. And if I was out of her sight, you would hear her loud raspy bark. I'd say, nice talking to you, that's my Lou calling me. I'm coming Lou. I'm coming. People would always ask why her ears were always erect, my standard answer was : her radar to find me. And God forbid I ever paid attention to another female dog. If looks could kill.

When Elsie' rear end weakness progressed to lumbar spinal stenosis, we had it under control with acupuncture done at the house, adequin shots as well as depo medrol every 6 weeks. We put the house on the market recognizing that a ranch would be so much better for us all, especially Elsie. I so wanted to be in a ranch with a nice big piece of property for her. All our planning was with Elsie in our thoughts front and center. She loved to roam and romp in large backyards and we often went to our friend, Nancy's house who had a large fenced in yard. The younger dogs would be sacked out after a short time but elsie was always the last one standing. while I waited for the house to sell, I slept downstairs on the couch since February so that we could be together. It was expected of me because if I dared to go upstairs to get something, she stood by the steps and barked. I'm coming Elsie, give me a minute!!! God this girl was demanding!

3 weeks ago Elsie tripped while getting into the van. The limped started 2 days after and has gotten progressly worse. I knew immediately in my heart it was osteo. Even when the initial x-rays were clear, my vet was careful to remind me that if the limp did not get better or progressed, we would need to repeat.

The limp did not get better, it got worse (read: igor from young Frankenstein movie). We knew and have been treating her pain with NSAIDs And pain meds. Today she let me know she could not do this any more. I did not need to repeat X-rays to know what we know.

In her home, on her bed, surrounded by her pack and in my arms with Rich nearby, Elsie, my beautiful, sweet, funny, silly girl left us. Along with her, was a huge piece of my heart. All the while I was humming Lou Lou skip to my Lou, a song I sang all the time to her.

Demanding, loud, obnoxious but my Elsie Lou how I love you. And I don't know how I will ever get over losing you. Show me the way.

The pain is unbearable, but you no longer have any . I love you so much Elsie.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry... the special ones seem to take the biggest piece of our hearts with them.

Run free, Elsie

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry you lost your lovely girl. She's always been a favorite of mine, looking as much like my Jacey as she did. We'll all miss her, and I'm sorry she had to leave.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest LadyChester

I'm so very sorry :grouphug It takes so long for the burning pain in your heart to subside to a manageable level, even though you saw her signs and did what was best for her.

I'm so sorry, but you did what was best for her and that is truly a gift of love. Godspeed sweet Elsie.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I am so very sorry. Run like the wind, Elsie Lou.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so very, very sorry Robin and Rich .... hugs to your heart ....

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

Robin and Rich, I am so very sorry it was time to let Elsie go. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I had a feeling after your post this morning. I'm so very sorry, Robin.

Run free, Elsie Lou.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

So very sorry for the loss of your precious Elsie.

Remember the good times....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss of Elsie. It seems like it was just last week that we were getting updates on the hauler's location as we all followed her cross country trek to you. We all knew that this girl was special when we saw the first picture of her you posted.

Run pain free sweet Elsie. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life