Lost Our Whippet Jasmine

Guest cabrerad

Guest cabrerad

Hi Everyone,

I had read this forum from time to time and it is always hard. I had hoped I would not have to make my own post for a very long time, but sadly that day has come. We own Naughty, a greyhound we adopted from Florida through one of the groups here in MD, and Rebel and Jasmine, our whippets. We were on vacation visiting friends over the past few days and had left our dogs with a small pet sitting operation. We had researched pet sitting options very carefully and had received very positive reviews from their references.

On the day we were traveling home, Jasmine got away from the pet sitters and was hit by a car. A good Samaritan saw the accident and took her to a nearby veterinary ER near our house. She suffered a collapsed lung and lesser injuries to her leg. Her chest cavity kept filling up with air, however, and vets told us they needed to operate to find the reason, but were optimistic she would recover completely. Sadly, during the CT scan prior to surgery they found that the damage was far worse than they expected and we had to have her put to sleep. It tears my heart out that I had to have this conversation from an airport and not be with Jasmine when the time came. It tore my heart out again having to tell my daughter that Jasmine was in heaven.

My brother was able to come visit shortly after this occurred to visit with Jasmine and talk to the vets. When we got home around 12am, we stopped by to say goodbye. We were greeted in the lobby by a whippet breeder who worked there and who we know, but had not seen for some time. She told us she spent some time with Jasmine prior to surgery and it made us feel good that a fellow whippet lover was with her since we could not be. She set Jasmine up in a really nice room for us all to visit with her. I'll stop now so I don't lose it again as I need to pace myself today.

David and Amy

I am so very sorry. I, too, have a whippet and they might be small but the space they take in your soul is huge. Thinking of you and yours today.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am very sorry for your tragic loss. Truly a heartbreaking experience.

Run free Jasmine, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Maloy

David and Amy, I'm so sorry to read about Jasmine. I cannot imagine what you are feeling right now but try to remember the good times you had with your sweet girl. Look to the heavens and you will see a shining new star. Jasmine, will forever be the wind beneath your wings.

I'm so very sorry!!! :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm am so sorry for your tragic loss of Jasmine. How sad...I wish I had some comforting words, but this just brings tears to my eyes. My condolensces to all who knew and loved Jasmine.

What moves through us is a silence, a quiet sadness, a longing for one more day, one more word, one more touch, we may not understand why you left this earth so soon, or why you left before we were ready to say good-bye, but little by little, we begin to remember not just that you died, but that you lived. And that your life gave us memories too beautiful to forget.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I am so very sorry for your loss of your precious Jasmine. :grouphug:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, Jasmine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.