The Little Lion Dog Aka Simba Aka Mr. Diggler Aka Tito

seeh2o

The little lion dog that came into our lives on July 4, 2010 has passed away. He was tiny, but he was mighty. One of the women, Ann, in our local animal alliance was also moved by him and beat me to the shelter by an hour or so to adopt him. Ed and I had gone to the shelter to meet him, I came home to think it over. The next morning I told Ed I was going to head over and pull him, he was not going to last much longer there, he was an older guy and I knew his days there were numbered. Not many people are adopting old dogs, especially then, the shelters were overflowing with healthy dogs of owners losing their homes in droves. I called my friend Jen, before I left and she told me that Ann had just pulled him about an hour before!

Ann brought him home a couple of days later, he had been neutered and shaved down as his fur was matted. She named him Simba and was completely in love with him. Sadly, one of her dogs attacked him. She called me right away and asked if I could take him, I was not so secretly thrilled! I fostered him, hoping to keep him forever. Unfortunately, after about two weeks it did not work out. He needed to be able to roam freely, he really needed a doggy door. He also set off Carl's SA in a bad way. I tried crating him, but he HATED that, even though he was in a crate the size of my closet. I just couldn't do that to him. My friend Jen was working from home at the time and took him in immediately. She fostered him for months, nursed him back to health (unbeknownst to any of us for weeks, he had an infected tooth. we discovered it when it started to work through the skin just below his eye...we thought it he had been injured by one of her dogs in a dust up). We took up a collection locally to help pay for his surgery and medication. He healed up really well and it really changed his personality, he wasn't in excruciating pain anymore, so he was a lot brighter and more friendly. I tried to visit once a week and he would run circles around my feet making the most peculiar happy little noises!

He was a tiny and odd little guy, typical stoic chow characteristics, but with a HUGE personality. He knew he was unique looking and he strutted it well. With most people he was a little bit of a touch-me-not, but with those he loved and trusted (Jen and me) he allowed us to pick him up. He even fell asleep in my arms. It broke my heart that my home wasn't to be shared with him. He was adopted by a friend of Jen's who flew him to Atlanta where he had a big back yard to roam and dig in (he wasn't named Mr. Diggler by me because of his digging ability, though he was a world class digger, he was named that for other "endowments"...if you've seen Boogie Nights, you'll know what I mean!).

RIP Mr. Diggler, you were deeply loved by me and many others. You had no idea how many people were cheering you on. I know you are running on the other side pain free with a full set of choppers, your head held high with your mane waving in the wind and framing your face handsome face with a big goofy crooked smile.

The picture that sent me to the shelter to meet him. Soooo handsome and regal

Minilion.jpg

The day I met him:

IMG_1525.jpg

At home with the greyhounds:

IMG_1553.jpg

When he was neutered they had to shave him down as his fur was completely matted (it made him look like an old puppy, but we didn't tell him that):

IMG_1554.jpg

He and Sheila just avoided each other, two old chow ships passing in the night!

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

Strolling under Claire:

IMG_1545.jpg

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I'm so sorry. I remember when you first posted about Simba. He was such a cutie and I'm so glad he was able to enjoy a few more years.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I remember his story, Connie. I'm sorry he didn't have more time to enjoy his new life. :cry1 Rest well, Simba. :f_red

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I too remember when you brought this cutie home and posted pictures. I am so very sorry for your loss, he was a lucky boy to have you for his last years.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I am so very sorry. :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

What a well-loved little lion dog. I'm so sorry for your loss of Simba. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Godspeed, little one.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I remember Simba too. I am glad he found a loving home and am sorry he had to leave. He was one of a kind.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh no! I remember him. My condolences to all who knew and loved him. Godspeed little one.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm sorry. Mr. Diggler won a lot of hearts around here. It's wonderful that he had almost two years of the good life. I wish it had been longer.

Godspeed Mr. Diggler.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Aw, I'm so sorry. I remember his story. How sad.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

what a cute little guy :( :( I"m so sorry :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I also remember Simba, Connie. My sympathies are with all who knew and loved this special guy.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest happygrey

I'm so sorry. f_yellow It does seem like a flash since you posted about finding him and bringing him home. Rest easy, little guy.