Logan Remembrance, born April 7, 2010, adopted May 18, 2013, passed away Sunday July 9, 2023

rsieg

I promised to provide a remembrance for Logan, so here it is. There is no way to capture 10 years with my best buddy in an Internet post, so I will just do my best with a stream of consciousness, and some pictures of course.

I adopted Logan in May 2013 from Greyhound Adoption of Ohio (GAO). He was so friendly at the kennel, did the leaning thing. When Logan first came home, I had a ratty vintage 1970's avocado couch I was keeping only because I had heard that greyhounds like couches. Well, Logan did not use the couch. After a couple weeks, I was planning to put it out with the trash. The evening before trash day, Logan got up and looked at the couch, walked over to it. Put his front feet on it and kneaded it. Soft, comfy. He jumped up and lay down on the couch and looked over at me as if to say "Ok boss?" From then on it was his couch. So, here is is in 2014 on his avocado couch:

2014-08-22%2023.38.33-M.jpg

A couple weeks later, my brother and niece were staying overnight. I woke up to desperate howling from Logan. Came out, they were on his couch. From then on, the couch was the one item he would always be defensive of, I was the only person that could sit with him there.

The first two years I had him, GAO had a summer greyhound get-together with a 200 yard run. His best time was average 38 mph for the 200 yards. He got so, so excited when he saw the course, and for months afterward whenever we walked by a golf course he would get excited seeing the golf carts (they used a golf cart on the course). Here is a shot from his run in 2014:

_DSC7454-M.jpg

After a little over a year and a half after getting Logan, I adopted Max, who was then 10 years old to Logan's 4 1/2. Logan was such a good brother to Max. They walked together perfectly, Logan on the left (I'm left-handed so that is what he learned initially) and Max on the right. Almost never crossed leashes. Logan was definitely the dominant one given the age difference (Max tried though :-) but Logan did not push Max around. Here he is asking why he has to put up with the new guy:

2015-04-07%2008.23.12-M.jpg

and on a walk together:

2016-11-25%2016.47.47-M.jpg

Over the 10 years I had him, I think we walked at least 10,000 miles together. From walking apps I know he did 5,000 miles after Max passed in January 2018, and we were in the 4,000 miles range with Max and Logan together. I did not track the year and a half before Max came. Logan would stop and crash on the grass during walks occasionally, but always loved going. And he liked variety - if we went around the neighborhood two or three days in a row then he would insist on a park trip, and even in the neighborhood he would never take the same route twice in a row.

Logan never, ever, ran away. When I first had him we were doing yard work and messed up and left the gate open, he just ran out front to me. We were fortunate that Logan was never really sick or injured. His worst episode was winter before last when he sprained his rear leg slipping on ice. He was going mostly on three legs for several weeks after that, but still wanted to go for his walks.

The last year or so Logan was definitely slowing down, though he would go an average of 1-2 miles per day. He still liked park trips, and I would take him down in the car, he'd go for a quarter mile or whatever, still enjoyed it even if shorter.

He was not a social butterfly, with either people or dogs. When I first adopted him I tried to do the greyhound event circuit with him but he made it clear early on he did not enjoy it. Logan, Max, and I went to a couple greyhound summer meetups, but Logan did not enjoy those either. Max would play with all the other greyhounds, Logan would be ready to leave 10 minutes after we got there. But, Logan did enjoy meeting people on walks, it's just he wanted to say "Hi" and then get back to me and the walk. And, the last year or so we started going to a local coffee shop where he would get a pup cup. By that time he had mellowed and really enjoyed going in and meeting people.

I'll finish up with a few more photos.

More couch time:

2017-03-26%2011.36.55-M.jpg

This was Christmas day  2014, at the Nature Center which was closed. I forgot, Logan did like to go in there as they gave dogs treats - so they're not happy it's closed. Unfortunately when the Nature Center reopened after Covid they stopped the treats, and Logan remembered that for quite a while (Max passed in Jan 2018 so he missed that).

2014-12-25%2011.25.39-M.jpg

January 2019. He would take my boot or shoe into the living room, kept that up right up through this year too.

20190111_093112-M.jpg

May 2019. He's seeing something here on his walk, not sure what it was. BTW, he had that same collar the entire time I had him, it went perfectly with his brindle coat.

20190524_084618-M.jpg

Sept 2020. He would lay beside the brown couch, which was mine, to get petted. He was in almost exactly this position last Sunday, the day he died. Did not seem like he was having a problem at that point, then got up and started heaving bile.

20200906_195058-M.jpg

July 2021. Logan never liked toys much, but this is a nice shot of him using one.

20210720_202659-M.jpg

A couple shots I really like from Feb. 2022:

20220221_151204-M.jpg20220208_091637-M.jpg

June 2022. Another boot theft.

20220623_092203-M.jpg

Also June 2022. At that coffee shop I mentioned, getting his pup cup.

20220612_151007-M.jpg

March 2023, tongue out:

20230313_182606-M.jpg

April 2023:

20230407_084738-M.jpg

May 2023:

20230518_200341-M.jpg

If you made it this far, thank you so much for reading and helping me to remember my buddy Logan.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

May 2019. He's seeing something here on his walk, not sure what it was. BTW, he had that same collar the entire time I had him, it went perfectly with his brindle coat.

20190524_084618-M.jpg

Pagliaccio did too. Why mess with perfection :heart  I loved reading Logan's story, thank you for sharing it and him with us. He truly did have the best life a hound could ever hope for. I'm so sorry for your loss and the ache your heart is now feeling :grouphug

Missing someone is a way of keeping them with us, even when they are not.

Rest well, Logan. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Beautiful tribute. Rest well Logan.

So very sorry for your loss.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Run-free Logan. You will be greatly missed here, but not forgotten. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Such a handsome hound, especially that classic profile.  How have you been doing this long, hard week?

my brother and niece were staying overnight. I woke up to desperate howling from Logan. Came out, they were on his couch.

:rofl :rofl :rofl   Reminds me of a story from some folks whose adoption program picked out the hound for you and delivered it to your house.  "From the moment he walked in the door, it was love at first sight.  We fell in love with him, and he fell in love with our leather couch."  

He would take my boot or shoe into the living room, kept that up right up through this year too.

Logan the feng shoe practitioner

Logan never, ever, ran away. When I first had him we were doing yard work and messed up and left the gate open, he just ran out front to me. 

:wub:   I hope that somehow, some way, his spirit will be able to run to you again.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

What a wonderful story of your life with Logan.   I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye.

Remember the good times.....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

You wrote a lovely gentle remembrance of a terrific boy. You, he, and (for several years) Max had a great time together, and it shows in every sentence and photo. It's so hard to say goodbye to a boy like that.

Godspeed Logan.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:f_whiteI am so sorry for your loss. That is a lovely tribute to your good boy. Run free dear Logan :gh_run2

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

That is a most beautiful tribute. It was powerful-at least to me. It made me be able to enjoy him as if I was there with him in the stories.  I gained a big appreciation for just how special a boy he is.  I hope you don't mind me using the present tense but I believe that only his body died.  Logan, the guy we love, who is spirit, well his spirit is alive and well.  Love never dies. Love is the most powerful force on earth and like all energy it can't be destroyed-not even by death. And his beautiful spirit is after all who we loved- the guy who claimed his sofa at the last minute and who love love loved to race across the golf course and so many other unique personality traits.  I hope he sends you some signs because he absolutely will be with you forever.  :beatheart :grouphug Hugs :gh_lay