Stylish woundware for the discernible fashound

Buddy took a spectacular tumble yesterday. He has decided that he wants to go into the front garden for wees (the back garden is no longer right for reasons of light/temperature/wind direction/goodness knows), so we trotted him out yesterday, he did his business, and I called him to me from about 20 feet away to go back inside. After roughing up the ground where my bluebells and daffodils are :wife, he went from 0 to :gh_runand almost immediately slipped and skidded from the grass onto the tarmac. I keep replaying it in my head in slow motion to really make myself feel bad about encouraging him to run to me and seeing his legs go from underneath him, which is how he has ended up with a torn pad (the highest one on his front left, so at least he won’t have to walk on it). He’s also scuffed the same pad on the other front leg, and deeply grazed his left leg from thigh to ankle. He must have face planted too, as he has a good graze on this top lip - which amazingly is the only wound he hasn’t tried to lick

Dad was immediately dispatched for medical supplies (fortunately we did have some from when I had an operation on my foot), while I stayed home for comfort and cuddles. He has been very clingy and a little bit subdued since, and I wonder if has just stared his own mortality in the face for the first time. Despite numerous slips and tumbles during recent zoomies, he refuses to accept that he might be getting on a bit - he is 12 1/2 next month.

Here are a couple of photos of his bandage covers / baby socks. He has been very patient while I have attempted to dress his wound, only flinching when I put some antiseptic cream on today before changing his bandage.

Buddy tripping

Buddy tripping

Buddy tripping

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Awww Buddy, tone it down a bit, will ya? While it's fab that you are feeling so spry, we want you to see 13, ok? There's a gud boi :kiss2 :dogcookie

Don't beat yourownself up, Mum, you only asked him to come in, *he* chose to do it at warp 90!  :bighug

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

1 hour ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Awww Buddy, tone it down a bit, will ya? While it's fab that you are feeling so spry, we want you to see 13, ok? There's a gud boi :kiss2 :dogcookie

Don't beat yourownself up, Mum, you only asked him to come in, *he* chose to do it at warp 90!  :bighug

:rofl

Oh no, poor Buddy! I myownself have face planted (tripped over a greyhound, what else) and I know it is painful and embarrassing. I am glad you are feeling spunky, but try to tone it down a bit, even though your mom gave you some awesome bandages and covers 

:grouphug

Ain't no fool like an old fool, I say! G went all out when he had an opportunity, and was all :gramps the next day. Buddy, I give you these :kiss2 and wishes for a speedy recovery. A little fish & chips would help, wouldn't they??

Roman got a wound on hind foot, and I found that using a panty liner/maxi/sanitary napkin works great for wrapping around it, since they are sticky on one side. Put a maxi, then some vet wrap.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Poor baby.  That moustache gash looks quite painful. I agree with the medicines listed above -- fish and chips, or maybe some salmon (so good for the healing of skin and fur!), or maybe some lightly seared mince.  And you do look quite the discerning fashound with your mod stripes and lightening bolts.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Sooo many captions here :haha 

Buddy tripping

Buddy :wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

4 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

:nod Wise words. Get well soon, Buddy! :kiss2 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

5 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Sooo many captions here :haha 

Absolutely, including "You should see the other guy."

You need to be careful, Buddy. You may not be quite as nimble as you recall. Love your stylish wound wear. :beatheart 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

4 hours ago, GreyPoopon said:

Absolutely, including "You should see the other guy."

You need to be careful, Buddy. You may not be quite as nimble as you recall. Love your stylish wound wear. :beatheart 

He already seems to have forgotten that he fell, and that he is limping, and that he is stiff all over. He wanted to take Honky the Hedgehog into the back garden for a play after his walk yesterday. We got the sad eyes and a dramatic sigh when we gently hold him ‘no’ :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

He already seems to have forgotten that he fell, and that he is limping, and that he is stiff all over. He wanted to take Honky the Hedgehog into the back garden for a play after his walk yesterday. We got the sad eyes and a dramatic sigh when we gently hold him ‘no’ :rolleyes:

Sweet boy. Hopefully in one more sleep he’ll be feeling so much better. :grouphug

Aw, sweetheart, I'm so sorry you had a slip.  I hope you feel much better soonest. :kiss2 You're getting the very best of loving care. 

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

19 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

I hope both Buddy and you are soon up for a session with Honky. :kiss2 Buddy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:wub:

Silly boy fell into a hole today. I managed to save him going completely over by holding him up by his lead (attached to a harness, thankfully), but whilst concentrating on getting his front end on solid ground, his back legs, which are under no control from his tiny brain*, went off on their own and his back end gave way underneath him. It was a rather large hole so I am beginning to wonder if his eyesight is failing him. He has nuclear sclerosis, although the vet said it shouldn’t affect his vision. I suppose he could have something else going on, or he could just be clumsy…

*50% of the tiny brain power is given over to treat detection, 50% to making sure mummy feels loved

Oh Buddy, you have to be more careful :yikes  It could be his eyesight, although the hole wasn’t moving was it? :lol Or it could be quirky greyhound behavior, I swear one of mine would have walked into a hole while watching a butterfly float by :rolleyes:

I hope he didn’t add to his wounds

1 hour ago, MerseyGrey said:

:wub:

Silly boy fell into a hole today. I managed to save him going completely over by holding him up by his lead (attached to a harness, thankfully), but whilst concentrating on getting his front end on solid ground, his back legs, which are under no control from his tiny brain*, went off on their own and his back end gave way underneath him. It was a rather large hole so I am beginning to wonder if his eyesight is failing him. He has nuclear sclerosis, although the vet said it shouldn’t affect his vision. I suppose he could have something else going on, or he could just be clumsy…

*50% of the tiny brain power is given over to treat detection, 50% to making sure mummy feels loved

If that math is correct then this latest incident was inevitable and no fault of Buddy’s. :lol 

Is Buddy due for an annual exam? Good to mention his coordination fails but hopefully they’re a nothing, not a something. Let’s go with that! 

Buddy, Fuzzy tripped UP the stairs in sympathy today, she thought there would be a C-A-T at the top of the stairs and out-ran herself! She isn't the brightest, either! 

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Oh poor Buddy! The Black Bandit admires your spirit. And your fancy socks.

Wiki herownself fell in a storm sewer grate last week. It's my greatest fear and not her fault because it was totally covered with snow and we didn't know it was there. She got herself out immediately but did also tear her carpal pad. She didn't get quite the level of care that Buddy did though. Just some ointment and a stern warning not to lick it.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Oh Buddy. I hate when those pesky holes jump up out of nowhere and attack! One ate my ankle shortly after Doolin arrived. Take it easy, and no more incidents or we'll have to update the sign again!

40607458_0.jpg

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

23 hours ago, Remolacha said:

Oh Buddy, you have to be more careful :yikes  It could be his eyesight, although the hole wasn’t moving was it? :lol Or it could be quirky greyhound behavior, I swear one of mine would have walked into a hole while watching a butterfly float by :rolleyes:

I hope he didn’t add to his wounds

Maybe your hound was reincarnated as mine.  :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

If that math is correct then this latest incident was inevitable and no fault of Buddy’s. :lol 

Is Buddy due for an annual exam? Good to mention his coordination fails but hopefully they’re a nothing, not a something. Let’s go with that! 

That’s good advice. We go to the vet each month for his Librela injection so I will ask about it then. Thank you.

20 hours ago, Jerilyn said:

Oh poor Buddy! The Black Bandit admires your spirit. And your fancy socks.

Wiki herownself fell in a storm sewer grate last week. It's my greatest fear and not her fault because it was totally covered with snow and we didn't know it was there. She got herself out immediately but did also tear her carpal pad. She didn't get quite the level of care that Buddy did though. Just some ointment and a stern warning not to lick it.

Buddy has done this too! He always avoids them but when we were on holiday I.e. far from our own vet, he put his foot right through one and tore up his skin. My dog is now more scar than greyhound.

21 hours ago, palmettobug said:

Buddy, Fuzzy tripped UP the stairs in sympathy today, she thought there would be a C-A-T at the top of the stairs and out-ran herself! She isn't the brightest, either! 

Too busy looking at the thing she wants rather than right in front of her. I’ve told him ‘CAREFUL!’ so many times after an accident, that when I say it to him, he actually stops and looks for hazards. It’s the only training word that we have practised again and again