Broken humerus

Pete

5 minutes ago, gracegirl said:

I wanted to ask you a question about the FNA. You did the FNA before amputation, then sent the bone out for biopsy after any which revealed cancer, is that correct? And this was after seeing OS on the x-ray? I’m trying to get a feel for what the FNA might reveal and if it’s even worth doing, vs going straight to amputation surgery. 

Right. Going to PM you!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all.  An update on Fiona.  She’s doing really well.  Gets around just fine on three legs.  Strong, happy and healthy (other than the OS).  She gets chemo every 3-4 weeks. Handles it well.  Just had mid course lung scans (which had us very anxious) and they were clear.   So far so good.   Thanks for all the help and support. We’ll take good care of her for as long as is possible.   

:yay What a great update on Fiona! She is one tough cookie! Thank you for checking in and please keep us posted. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Wonderful update! :yay :yay :yay 

Go Fiona!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• 2 months later...

Fiona update…. Chemo finished about two weeks ago.  She handled it well. X rays on lungs are clean.  So go back in three months and hopefully they stay “clean”.   Fiona is doing really well.  Good energy, appetite, sleep, walks and over-all happy dog that gets around on three just fine.  Although I think she strains the legs at time of active play so we’re trying to keep her a bit calmer.  It’s been a very long year since she fractured her humerus and then later had her leg amputated last April and we’ve all been through a lot but it’s been pretty good since her amputation (well since sutures came out).  I know that she may well have a shorter life than she deserves but while we have Fiona and she has her health we will treasure it.  Off to the park!  Thanks. 

Very glad to hear Fiona is doing so well. Aren't these dogs amazing? I hope you have many more happy days together. Thanks for popping back in to update us! 

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

What a wonderful update! I hope Fiona continues to do well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• 3 weeks later...

Fiona update.  She’s still doing pretty well. Good energy, eating etc..  but her remaining front leg / shoulder is causing her pain from a lying flat position.  She’s ok from sitting lying as she pushes herself straight up.  But from lying down she pushes up from side and shoulder more and screams in pain.   So got her on gabapentin and rimydl again.  That worked and she’s “normal” again.  Vet said he feels no swelling or cartilage damage and she doesn’t react in pain to his exam.  So he think soft tissue injury (7-10 days to heal).  Told us to wait coupe days then X-ray it.  They feel it’s likely strain in that leg.  I’ve been home all week and we’ve gone to trails at the park everyday so might have over done it.  But of course the possibility of metastasis is always hanging over us. She was coughing a bit too but it’s after drinking water or putting the pills down her throat.  But a few other times small coughs on its own.  Ugh, who knows, damn thing drives you crazy. 

Hang in there. I know you're discouraged, but she might surprise you yet. Sweep had a good several months after the first lung mets were detected, and many other hounds do well for even longer.

We lost Fiona.  The fluid buildup around her lungs was substantial.  They could drain it but was told it’ll come back soon.  It was causing the distress and pain.  The abnormal image of sternum was new and included part of one rib.  They’d have to do a biopsy / FNA on the spot to know for sure but given that she has OS it’s that.  All of this was happening because of the cancer.  It wasn’t going to stop.  We didn’t want to put her through any more especially with the sternum and rib abnormal image going on.  The fast pace of this deterioration has is in shock.  I’m completely heartbroken. Questioning myself.  Could we have done more?  She was feeling pain despite the meds and it was only going to happen again. And again.  Would the sternum break? The rib break?  Ugh, I wanted it so much to be better.   We were at the park today, she was good.  And then she got worse later.  
      She was an amazingly beautiful hound with bright brown eyes and a sensitive soul.  Fiona was my dog and I loved her very much.  Thank you all for listening.  

I am so sorry. Please don’t second guess yourself. You did everything right and ultimately gave Fiona the last gift you could, releasing her from her pain. She knew how much you love her. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so sorry for your loss of beloved Fiona. Run pain free sweetie and give the folks a sign you are doing fine.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020