Broken humerus

Pete

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went the front amp and chemo route. They didn't need pain meds once recovered from surgery. About 2 weeks.

Both girls started showing pain in the rear end. Xrays showed osteo on different bones.

J7st remember,  whatever choice you make it's out of love. So there is no wrong decision. 

Agonizing over this.  14 months is terrific.  But I’ve read so many that got only 3-6 months and many more that got other broken bones and pain.  They want to do a CT scan for a better look because there is a chance it’s an infection mostly because she had a bad infection on the site last December.  Also because OSA is very aggressive, goes from nothing to problems in 3 months but they see the same irregularity on an x ray from last October, six months ago.  IDK.  Not optimistic at all. 

I'm so sorry for what you're going through and know how hard it is. There are no guarantees for longevity, but you say your girl is still happy, she's doing all the things she enjoys, and she's relatively young. These are all factors that would likely serve her well in recovery from an amp and chemo. You'd be amazed how quickly they bounce back and just get on with life—and after the first two weeks, it's *quality* life. It's harder on the humans because we don't live in the moment like they do and we are constantly watching and worrying. So that's really the question to ask: what do you think YOU can handle? It is mentally and emotionally taxing to have a terminally ill pet, but my husband and I didn't think we could put Sweep down when she was still so very much herself. That was the harder prospect for us, so we chose the other path. We do not judge anyone who chooses differently and we might make another choice for a future dog with a different personality. Everyone's situation is unique.

In the majority of cases, OSA metastasizes to the lungs, not another bone. There are always exceptions (like Mary Pat's girls above), but generally speaking if it's OSA and you opt to amputate, the odds of another leg break are relatively low. More likely (and what we are currently dealing with), you'll see a gradual decline in stamina, appetite, and activity level. Sweep is not in pain, but she can no longer go on walks or chase things. We take rides, toss treats in the yard for her, and spoil her with whatever she wants to eat. There's still quality of life, but it's different than it was.

Are they seeing progression of the irregularity they spotted in October, or is it exactly the same? I'd do the CT scan if it's in your budget. Make as informed a decision as you can. You might also check out the Tripawds forum; it has a lot of good tips and info that can help you make a decision.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Thanks for this feedback.  Her pet insurance may or may not cover a CT scan.  The oncologist said it would also give them a good look at any spreading.  But I can afford it.  Are they seeing progression?  Yes, but it’s small. Dr Cuoto said it’s still not an easy call as to weather it’s OSA.  The “evidence” is the math… irregularity on an X ray, greyhound, almost 8yo, upper humerus. 

Can I handle it?  Yes, not easily but yes.  My wife not so much.   It’s really causing her a lot of distress.  I do think she’d recover quickly from an amputation because she’s not using the leg, it’s quite diminished from atrophy anyway and she’s been using only 3 legs for a while now with no problems.  We could keep her in hospital for first five or six days when it’s more challenging (as we experienced w her fracture in October).  That would help a lot. They could then biopsy the limb.  If it’s cancer we could say goodbye.  But then why not do CT scan instead?  See if it’s cancer and then say goodbye.  Well but she’s doing great right now so there’s that.  At every corner there’s a switchback.  

Edited by Pete

If you think you would say goodbye right away if a post-amp biopsy confirms cancer, I agree that it makes more sense to do the CT scan now to see if it gives you answers. Then you could either proceed with the surgery or let her go. How soon could they do the scan? How about the FNA? (For what it's worth, Dr. Couto also recommended it for us, but Sweep's didn't turn up anything.)

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

That’s good feedback on your FNA. Think we need a scan.  They could probably do it this week.   How is Sweep today?   I feel like I know him.  But then again, if you know one greyhound you know a little of them all.  Wonderful beings.  

5 hours ago, Pete said:

That’s good feedback on your FNA. Think we need a scan.  They could probably do it this week.   How is Sweep today?   I feel like I know him.  But then again, if you know one greyhound you know a little of them all.  Wonderful beings.  

Sweep's doing well, thanks. Still trying to charm us out of our dinner (and succeeding). This was last night.

52009180088_36533d560d.jpg

Yesterday she turned 12 1/2. (Yes, when you get to her age, you get to celebrate half-birthdays.) She is 8 months post-amp. I have not mentioned it on this thread, but she actually has two cancers—the OSA and a non-aggressive soft-tissue sarcoma on her left front leg. A crappy lottery to win, but she's been a rock star. Greyhounds are amazing.

Edited by ramonaghan

Sweep looks great.  Happy 12.5 Sweep!   Our previous grey got to 14.5.  She was in good health to the end. Although her hine legs were weakening.  Our Fiona is only 7.5.  We are going to pick her up today from animal hospital.  They called me last night and said she was doing really well.  Not eating for them though.  They have the amp site bandaged up so I assume that’ll need changing daily or maybe leave it in unbandaged.  I’ve dealt with greys and sutures before so I won’t be so alarmed this time around.  But just gotta keep it clean and protected and let healing process take hold.  Hope to avoid infection.  Not sure how much activity is ok but we’ll ask.  Btw, they x rayed her chest prior to amp surgery (front left leg) and said it was clear and thus they proceeded.  They’ll biopsy the amp leg and results will take a week.  

Thank you for the update and best healing thoughts for Fiona! If pre-amp she was already not using the limb, she should figure out post-amp navigation more quickly. 

:goodluck Fiona 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery for your girl! If they send you home with antibiotics, I'd recommend waiting until Fiona is eating well before giving them. We made the mistake of giving them to Sweep, who didn't want to eat anything for the first few days, and she made quite the mess of our living room—from both ends. It was awful! Lesson learned: no meds on an empty stomach. :lol We got through it, and so will you. Here's the thread on Sweep's amp and her first few days home if you haven't seen it. I suspect Fiona will have an even easier time given her age and history.

I hope Fiona is home and enjoying a good start to her recovery. I hope she heals quickly and well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Surgery went well.  Lotta bruising.  Got her on a fentanyl patch, gabapentin and rimydl and amicar.  Her feet are swollen, especially remaining front.  She gets up and around, screams in pain when she gets up from flat on amputated side.  But that settles down quickly.  Hope it goes away soon.  She does her business outside, did a poop last night.  Moves well.  Eats well.  Surgery wound and sutures look good.  Get ‘em out May 6th hopefully.  Now just day by day with our girl here.  Just sucks seeing her like this though.  She should be enjoying life at her age.  But we’ll get through it.  Thanks. 

22 hours ago, Pete said:

She’s got real dark urine. I suppose that’s from the swelling making it’s way out of her?  IDK.  So much to keep track of. 

Most likely that, and a lot of meds and anesthesia clearing her system. Is she drinking plenty of water?