Is This A Parasite?

Guest Beernardo

Guest Beernardo

Found these on the floor inside my house, they are about 1"-1.5" long. Is it some kind of parasite or am I freaking out for nothing? I've seen 4 in total in a lapse of two days.

worm2_zps64hiw4hv.jpg

worm_zps5kb7afgb.jpg

You need a better closeup of it. From far away it looks like it could be a tapeworm but the photo isn't close enough to tell for sure.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

They look like dried out earthworms to me. Could your dog be bringing them inside?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Beernardo

I hope it is just an earthworm! I'll take another pic. Have you seen cases of dogs eating those earthworms and pooping them out?

No, but they *can* get some sort of disease from eating earthworms, so the practice should be discouraged.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Looks like a worm--my Kramer used to eat enormous night crawlers (huge earth worms) like they were spaghetti. The vet said it wasn't a problem. Well, one night he vomited, and when I went to clean it up--it was a pile of still wriggling worms. Most disgusting thing I've ever seen. That was the end of his worm eating.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Looks like a dried earthworm. This time of year my iggy Charlie eats them outside all the time. Vet said it would cause no harm.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Beernardo

Yucky question here: Did you actually see them come out of the dog's hind end?

Nope, just found 4 inside the house, which is weird since that has never happened. While we are at yucky, I did look inside his poop this morning and didn't see anything, not even the white segments "rice like" that the tapeworm leaves

Looks like a worm--my Kramer used to eat enormous night crawlers (huge earth worms) like they were spaghetti. The vet said it wasn't a problem. Well, one night he vomited, and when I went to clean it up--it was a pile of still wriggling worms. Most disgusting thing I've ever seen. That was the end of his worm eating.

Oh gosh...that had to be gross!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Beernardo

After reading all fo your comments it looks like Stannis was just looking for alternative sources of protein. I'll keep my eyes open just in case. Thanks for all your help!

Teague sometimes carries those in on his feet. They get stuck way up in his toes outside and then fall off around the house. :P

Omg :puke:lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yes, when Kramer gakked up a pile of wriggling foot long night crawlers, it was very much like a horror movie. I didn't have my glasses on (at first) and was very sorry when I put them on and realized the worms were freaking moving!!!! I threw them in the disposal and ran it for at least five minutes just to make sure they were dead! Ick....creeps my out just thinking about it!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yes, when Kramer gakked up a pile of wriggling foot long night crawlers, it was very much like a horror movie. I didn't have my glasses on (at first) and was very sorry when I put them on and realized the worms were freaking moving!!!! I threw them in the disposal and ran it for at least five minutes just to make sure they were dead! Ick....creeps my out just thinking about it!

You and me both, pal. Thanks for that visual. :puke

Aside from hound feet, they could easily be coming in attached to someone's shoes. When they dry out, they're kind of.... sticky.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

There was a movie called "Squirm" on Mystery Science Theater 3000, that makes me think about it!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest GoingGrey

Late to the party, but as a kid who grew up in Minnesota camping and fishing with her dad, I can assure you these are just night crawlers, aka dried earthworms, as everyone has said!

In fact, it used to be one could buy a styrofoam container of live ones squirming in moisty, muddy newspaper at gas station bait shops in MN/WI. [do no proceed if squeamish] To save money, us kids used to try to dig them up in the yard. When that failed, we would double our purchased bait by splitting them in two or more with our fingernails before putting them on the hook to fish for crappies, sunfish and perch. LOL

As someone who's spent the last 25 years in an urban metropolis, rescuing animals and consuming a vegetarian-leaning diet, I'm feeling a bit shocked at memories of my tomboy past. lol

Also? If dogs harbored parasite of THIS size, i'm not sure i would have ever been able to live with one. Yikes.