Tanzi Loses Her Leg Tomorrow

Oh, the precious lady....she sounds so stubborn. :beatheart Not a bad quality when trying to kick osteo's butt. Sending lots of white light for a quick, uneventful recovery.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More excellent news about the girl! So glad she's still doing well :) And excellent news about her incision! Keeping a dog contained after surgery is a lot like asking a toddler not to smear food on the table, heehee :D

Beware of dog? Forget the dog - BEWARE OF CAT! No wait. The budgie is a killer, too.

35618219502_5f27c04249_s.jpgAaerro by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr

Rainbow Bridge - Aaerro march 2018

She's hardly crying out now. Sometimes she'll start "squeaking". But I'm thinking that might be more the meds than pain. And she goes thru bouts of being hot. I do have the thundershirt on her, so that adds to the heat, but I'd prefer to keep that on for a few more days. I'm not going to push my luck and just have a flimsy T shirt covering the incision. Especially since she is using both sides to lay on.

It was about 34 outside last night and massively windy. I had the window open about an inch just for Tanzi. Emma and I were under lots of blankets. I still slept lightly as I don't want Tanzi jumping off the bed in case she had to go out in the middle of the night. She got up and down several times. Either to just change position or to find a cooler spot. But for the most part she slept well.

Her incision is getting itchy, that's a good thing. Another reason I want the thundershirt on. It's thicker and will protect the site from scratching hind feet.

She's still got a terrific appetite, but alas, I can't sneak all those pills in. While a hoover, she still was able to detect half the pills. So, PB it is. Since I use chunky PB, she doesn't know the difference between pills and peanuts.

She's hardly crying out now. Sometimes she'll start "squeaking". But I'm thinking that might be more the meds than pain. And she goes thru bouts of being hot. I do have the thundershirt on her, so that adds to the heat, but I'd prefer to keep that on for a few more days. I'm not going to push my luck and just have a flimsy T shirt covering the incision. Especially since she is using both sides to lay on.

It was about 34 outside last night and massively windy. I had the window open about an inch just for Tanzi. Emma and I were under lots of blankets. I still slept lightly as I don't want Tanzi jumping off the bed in case she had to go out in the middle of the night. She got up and down several times. Either to just change position or to find a cooler spot. But for the most part she slept well.

Her incision is getting itchy, that's a good thing. Another reason I want the thundershirt on. It's thicker and will protect the site from scratching hind feet.

She's still got a terrific appetite, but alas, I can't sneak all those pills in. While a hoover, she still was able to detect half the pills. So, PB it is. Since I use chunky PB, she doesn't know the difference between pills and peanuts.

I used a little table fan, aimed at Taylor, when he was "hot" after surgery, until the pain meds were reduced and then stopped, and then he was cooler.

now here comes the hard part. She's starting to show her frustrations. She would start to fluff her bed and you can just see it in her face she's getting frustrated that she can't fluff with both legs, and she let's out a whine. I can tell, it's not a pain whine. She'll then stop what she was doing and come over to me for comforts. She's done this a couple times now.

Almost all of the edema is gone. Even the waddle under her chin. She has the slightest puffiness in her other front leg. The bruising is going away too. It's more pink now than purple or red.

She just went outside all by herself (dog door).

We did a bye bye today. She jumped into the car by herself and waited for me to put the ramp down for her to get out. She also did the 5 steps into the garage almost by herself. Almost. but she came up them with little problem. Just a little hesitation.

She's a little clingier that she was before surgery. So I guess she needs the reassurance that it'll be ok. So physically she's handling it well. I think mentally she's still unsure.

There's nothing wrong with clinginess. It shows she trusts you to take care of her.

I have more luck with cream cheese than peanut butter for pills, don't know why. Maybe it's easier to roll a ball out of the cream cheese. It works best if you can get her to catch the treat when you throw it. That seems to encourage gulping rather than chewing. Then again, Mercury only chews when necessary. He hoovers kibble and anything else that'll fit down his throat. *sigh*

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Great update! It's good that she was used to using a dog door. I adopted a 12 year old front leg tripod in February, but she doesn't use the dog door. I guess she never saw one before. She follows the others to the door and after they go through, she waits for me to open the door. I got used to it. I'm glad the recovery is going so well!

Glad to hear she is doing so well!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I think we've taken half a step back. She has cried out more in the past 24 hrs than the whole week and she's shaking more. I don't know if it's fear, pain or the meds. I do remember that when Dima finally finished her meds she was a different dog. So I hope it's just the meds for Tanzi.

Of course to add to all this, Emma split her toe again. Just like Aiden's toe that ended up being amputated. She's hopping around 3 legged right now. So.......does this mean there's another amputation in this family soon?! Or is Emma doing this for attention, seeing her sister getting a lot when she hops?!

I did find I needed to step down any meds I was stopping for my boy. Especially pain meds, and he always needed to have a small dose every day. Not sure why since I don't think he had pain after a month or so - maybe phantom pains?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh happy happy Thanksgiving!

This morning Tanzi went all the way to the back of my yard which is an acre.

I crated her while I went to family Thanksgiving. When I got home she jumped around and she PLAYED!! She shook her giggle veggie with vigor. Then I got her famous butt in the air stretch. She sticks her butt in the air as most greys do but keeps it there as I scritch her butt and back. She had made a game of it before she lost her leg. And she had her first full body shake.

It was a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Love hearing these updates! What a wonderful day.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.