Body Failing But Spirit Is Not...what Do I Do?

Guest Nefer13

Our hearts break with yours, and we are here for you anytime. Wishing a safe and peaceful journey for your dear friend. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We had to make the same decision with our Paul. While he was still eating, and eager for his meals, the rest of his daily life was a struggle for him.

I kept making deadlines for him. Please live to my birthday, Len's birthday, mother's day, etc. It reached the point, he would want to join our other boy on a walk and could barely get across the street, He had trouble to stand and complete his meal. He loved the car and could go nowhere without pooping within 5 minutes of the ride. He began refusing to wear a coat. He started leaking in his sleep and wouldn't wear a belly band and had just occasional fecal incontinence.

He was a proud racer having raced until close to 5 years old and couldn't let him lay in his pee. What had become the quality of his life? We tried the laser therapy and that worked for a while, he was on deramaxx and tramadol. He was such a sweet boy. We decided to let him go, and it was not an easy passing, either.

They are our best friends and look to us to keep them safe and free from pain. And, that is what we do for them.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Better a day too early, than a minute too late.

Please help your boy across the Bridge....

:bighug

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I just wanted to add, think how lucky you are that you can plan his last days to be fun and full of love. I have had it both ways, and the trauma of having to say good bye when they are in pain and fear, and you have had no time to prepare yourself, adds just that much more hurt. :bighug

I have been in tears reading this thread, about to post and then read this:

I just wanted to add, think how lucky you are that you can plan his last days to be fun and full of love. I have had it both ways, and the trauma of having to say good bye when they are in pain and fear, and you have had no time to prepare yourself, adds just that much more hurt. :bighug

Said more eloquently than I could have. I also know we're not there yet, but sooner rather than later, we will be there with our 11 year old and facing similar decisions. Many hugs to you.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

My Lou had his 14th BD in Dec. He still has spirit but his body is giving in. He is on Adequan shots, Gabapentin, Doxipin and Enanipril for early kidney disease. Kidney disease seems to be in check. Hind leg weakness is pretty bad. He sometimes collapses when having a bowel movement. Eating is good, looks forward to his walks. I sleep on the couch because he needs to be let out often. Right now he has Girada and is on Panacur. This is not his first bout with Girarda. He looses his movements during his sleep. So what to do? Not asking for answers just saying that it sucks when they get old. Love him.

There are so many things that we all would love to tell you and do for you, but I agree with the posts and advice given. You need to let him be at peace. He will always be with you because he is in your heart and will always be a part of your life. I have watched four of my six fur babies cross over the rainbow bride, but I have not forgotten one of them and never will. Each has given us special moments that will be with us forever. Likewise, you are special because you have more than given your all for each and everyone

of yours. So sorry for what you are going through. Each time I say that I could not do it again, but than I go out and adopt another one. They are what make me smile. You will see him again. Their understanding of us, I believe is far more than we can comprehend. God Bless. Our prayers are with you all.

btdt...sadly I'm another grey mom who has had to make this painful choice. My first greyhound was still running and going on lots of hikes. But she had a tumour in her stomach and couldn't keep food down. We knew her disease was terminal, and how we did not want her to be hungry, so we let her go. I still remember driving to the vet's office and thinking how normal we must look because she was standing in the back looking out the window like she always did on car rides. We made the decision about 24 hours after diagnosis; we didn't want her to feel any pain, and like many others, I'd rather say goodbye before they suffer because of how much we love them.

I'm wishing you all the best as tears run down my cheeks, because I know this journey is very long and painful. :grouphug

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Nefer13

I am very glad I posted here (not something I usually do...share with folks I don't know), but you have all been so thoughtful & supportive. I think Greyhound people are just as special as the Greys themselves. This is a very rare & beautiful community. I hoped that you would help my Nefer/me & you have exceeded my hopes & done so with such elegance and compassion. Thank you.

It looks like my vet will be coming to our home tonight after his practice closes. I'm waiting for final confirmation but I think that's the plan. I couldn't get out of bed this morning...even though I wanted to cuddle with my boy on the floor. I was thinking about our years of cuddling so closely all night. His ability to get onto the bed ended about a year ago. I miss that so much...despite finding myself on the edge of the bed without any covers. I know you all know exactly what I mean. I used to wake up freezing & look at this beautiful creature who was so comfortable and warm & then walk around to the other side of the bed...only to find the same situation not too much later. Nefer was a master cuddler, right from the beginning. I will miss his love & cuddles forever. I have dreaded this day since the day I met him right around 10 years ago.

I will post tomorrow or the day after in memory...have to figure out how to post some awesome pics of my boy. Please send thoughts of a peaceful passing later today.

Thank you for sharing Nefer's story. We'll be looking for a new star in the heavens tonight. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit, for without, they are present with you.

St. Francis de Sales

He will be forever in your heart.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

So very sorry. You're making the right decision. We had to make that decision with our first greyhound at age 15. Her mind was still there and she was eating like she always did, but her body just couldn't keep up. I almost called it off so many times, but I knew she wasn't going to get better. My biggest fear was that she'd hurt herself while we were at work.

She was stubborn right up until the end. Our vet came to the house and she (the always proper, dignified, ladylike hound) tried to bite him as he tried to put the IV in. Not because she didn't want to be let go, but because she didn't know where he'd been and didn't want him touching her. We were laughing through the tears, and I still laugh about it today.

I wanted her to go while she was still Mimi and still had her dignity. I don't think they need to hit rock bottom before you let them go. You do your best and make the decision you can live with. There is no right or wrong answer.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

My hounds and I are praying for you and Nefer. Be at peace, beloved boy.

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

my thoughts are with you :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross