Scary Bleeding

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:hope sending best wishes that it's a simple fix :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

sending many prayers for you boy!!! :hope :Hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I heard back from Dr Couto last night. He suggested a fine needle aspirate instead of the impression smear. Since the growth is kinda shredding I think the smear may be better. I'll let Dr Martin know about Dr Couto's suggestion when we return to the clinic Wednesday.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Curious how Percy's mass looked during his bandage change?

It's just odd that before it burst, some days it would be taller and other days completely flat. :dunno

I'm still hoping that Percy's growth is nothing too concerning. :)

However, I'm puzzled regarding multiple vet delays in testing those cells by FNA (if surgery might be the desired treatment). Hopefully not, but if it happens to be a cancerous mass, every week of vet delays could be rapidly strengthening it's presence.

To elaborate on my previous post: Our 9 y.o. (LP + excessive bleeder) hound's subcutaneous hemangiosarcoma (red/dark red) mass on her (white) leg was surged within a few days of discovery. (Cancer possibly caused by early life sun damage to light color hound.) It's my understanding that type of cancer mass (and perhaps others?) happens to behave similarly, meaning mass size can fluctuate and leak blood internally or externally.

With Saturday's bandage change the tissue had gone from looking like it was shredding to like a volcanic crater and it still used blood when not under pressure. There was a yucky trail of serum-like fluid that had oozed and dried. Tissue was bright red before it was covered by new oozing blood.

There's not a clear shape for an easy FNA target.

Vet 1 saw it as a mysterious bleeding issue and did not identify it as a mass.

Vet 2 saw it as a mass with an infection. He also said we needed to clear the infection to get the best tissue sample.

Vet 3 was Dr Couto. I'd sent him photos but he was unable to reply until my visit with Vet 2.

3greytjoys, your experience sounds similar to what I see with Percy. He is light colored and he's had a few some skin hemangiomas pop up. I'm going to "map" them so vet can check them as well.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thank you for the update. Hope you aren't seeing as much breakthrough bleeding while the pressure bandage is in place. Poor Percy (and you as his nurse), seems that infection has been relentless. Maybe his body is trying to build a little new tissue by now.

I understand the current lack of original surface mass as a FNA target, and vet #2's hope of reducing infection in this difficult situation.

Not sure if Dr. Couto addressed Percy's ongoing wound bleeding.

I'll add that our vet prescribes aminocaproic acid treatments to begin at least 2 days prior to surgery day for our hemangiosarcoma hound. Vet also keeps injectable aminocaproic acid in hospital's stock to use during surgery and hospital recovery. Our other hounds seem okay if treatment begins 1 day prior to surgery. (I understand T.A. is an alternative now.)

Continued positive thoughts for Percy this week...

Hemangiosarcoma. Located sooooo close to the blood vessel so no surgery.

tiny hada siggy.png