Zeke (Sandhill Zeke) - June 1, 2004 - January 26, 2016

Fiona3

I am heartbroken to write that we have lost our beautiful Zeke. It's hard to believe that my big goofy boy is gone. Just a few days ago he was dashing in the snow & tossing his toys in the house. We have been blessed to have this joyful, loving, sweet boy with us for almost 9 years.

It has truly been a shock to lose him so suddenly. Zeke has been a healthy happy greyhound with all his senior panels & tests clear. He was in great shape with his only ongoing problem a struggle with corns. At 11-1/2 we thought we had more time with him. However, over the weekend he suddenly developed Pancreatitis. In spite of immediate emergency treatment, after a few hours his heart stopped beating. It was swift and deadly. The e-vet believes the underlying cause was cancer that was affecting the pancreas and other organs. We are stunned at his loss.

Zekeinpark.jpg

Zeke came to us in March of 2007 from Greyhound Adoption Service. He was a large greyhound (the biggest we've ever had) with gorgeous brindle coloring and a handsome face. On our walks, he was frequently compared to a big tiger. What I loved most about Zeke was his gentle, sweet and happy personality. There was an instant bond between us and I became his favorite person.

Zeke's arrival was a seamless one due to his great personality. He blended well with the other dogs - they accepted him immediately as their new companion. On his first day home he spent time on the bed with Hobbes, who was our elder senior at the time, chased squirrels in the yard and tucked himself against me on the couch for the first time. This became one of my favorite quiet times with him over the years. He would climb up next to me, put his head against the back of the couch and look at me with his lovely soulful eyes. Slowly he would slide down and tuck himself against me with a big sigh. It would just make my heart sing when he did this.

Zeke9-1.jpg

Zeke%2012-19-08%20copy_zpswx2yrfek.jpg

We've had so many wonderful times with Zeke over the years. Many memories of days in the yard with the other dogs enjoying the sun, watching him "gazelle" in the deep snow, spread out on the carpet to be rubbed, tucked in on the office bed with the sunbeam from the window shining on him. He was an easy dog to live with, not demanding, gentle, and very patient when he needed treatments on his feet. Whether it was an injury, cysts, or corns, the problems were always with his feet. Fortunately, we had a big, grassy backyard for him to walk on at home to keep him comfortable.

5pack.jpg

When his corns starting developing, we waged the battle with topical treatments, Therapaw boots and booties. We tried everything. Eventually, with corns on all four feet, we took weekly outings to a park in Portsmouth where he could comfortably walk on the soft grass with no problems. It became a pleasant trip to look forward to on weekends and if it was raining we still took our long rides. He loved riding in the car with whichever companion dog came along for the trip. I will really miss having him along for those rides. He would settle down and nap in the car in such contentment. I just loved this guy so much.

Zeke2-12-11.jpg

Zeke%20amp%20Brynn%2010-12-14_zps8dgz5qb

In the last 3 years we have lost Tasha, Fiona and Bailey. Zeke has always been there to comfort me in my grief, tucking his head up on my shoulder and staying close to me so he could to be sure I was alright. He was always a gentle, sweet presence that made me smile whenever I looked at him. His loss has been a hard one for me.

After losing our yellow lab Bailey last January, we brought a new yellow lab puppy home in August 2015. We named him Finley (he deserves an introduction thread that I will do separately). To our surprise, Finn bonded with Zeke rather than the two girls, Brynn & Callie. Zeke was incredibly patient with this young ball of fluff that crawled over him, followed him around, and played with his tail. Zeke started sleeping at night in the room where Finn's crate was setup and over the past 5 months they became the best of friends. Finley was Zeke's favorite car buddy as well as a companion to tuck on the bed next to him. Every time Finn walked into a room where Zeke was resting, he would wag his tail in excitement and run up to lick his face (which Zeke always accepted patiently).

Finley%20amp%20Zeke%209-14-15_zpsvb7b5hc

Finley%20amp%20Zeke%201-21-16_zps1qv9che

I will miss those moments when I looked down at the dog bed to see Zeke watching me. I always went over to rub his soft fur and tell him how much he was loved. I will miss our moments on the couch where he would tuck himself against me for a nap. I will miss our rides and the everyday events that you take for granted. He would faithfully appear at 3:15 pm to remind me it was getting closer to feeding time. He would play bow, making woofing noises and be so silly. All these small and large moments that marked our life together.

Zeke has been a true heart dog. He seemed to touch my soul. All of our dogs are loved but sometimes one just finds a place in your heart that stands alone. Being with him made me feel good, he brought sweetness and joy with him that just could not be denied. His gentle presence was something I will always be grateful for.

Thank you my big boy for loving me and making our home such a happy place. Thank you for all the beautiful moments and your patience with a very pesky puppy. Finn has been very quiet and misses you too. I'm sorry we couldn't fix your illness. I knew someday you would leave us but thought we had more time. You are dearly missed by all of us. I know my heart will hurt for a very long time.

Goodbye my friend, my couch buddy, my comfort, my joy. Rest well! You will always be in my heart!

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

What a lovely boy. I'm so very sorry for you all, and especially Fin. Please take care of each other.

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

I'm so sorry for the loss of your handsome boy.

Run-free, Zeke. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Very sad to read this post. I certainly feel your pain since losing Mariah sudden and unexpected. This was a beautiful tribute to Zeke and we can only imagine the void in your lives as well as the pups. RIP Zeke. Hugs to you and Jim, the boys and of course the pups.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

your beautiful tribute made me cry :cry1

I'm so very sorry Zeke had to leave you -- he was truly one of a kind. :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

It's easy to understand how such a wonderful boy would leave such a huge void in your life and in your heart. I'm so sorry he had to leave, and so suddenly too, which I think adds an extra layer of grief and shock. :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

What a handsome fellow :wub: . I'm sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, Zeke.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a beautiful, special boy Zeke was. I am so very sorry for your sudden loss.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Oh M. Your beautiful, goofy, lovable, sweet boy. Zeke's tribute is perfect and has captured your wonderful boy so well. I always loved how he got so excited when the mail arrived and he knew that the box of PBBs was for him. My heart is with you, my friend, I am so sorry you have had to say see you later to your heart dog who walked beside you. Someone once told me that missing someone is a way of keeping them with us, even when they are not. I hope in time that you can find some comfort in that. :grouphug :grouphug

Godspeed Zeke. Please send your mom a sign, she's going to need one. f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Your tribute is beautiful. It's so clear how dear Zeke was to you and you to him. I'm so sorry for your loss of your favorite boy. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan