Henry Actually Doesn't Have Osteo! (Update Post #311)

a_daerr

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great update! How are you feeling now? I'm thinking part of the worrying is over right? :)

Thanks for asking. I'm doing a little better. I'm in "preparations mode" now, so trying to stay busy. The huge worry now is whether or not the pet insurance will cover us. This is the first claim we'll be filing with them, so I have to get all our records together, then it takes about two weeks for them to review it. I'll be waiting with bated breath.

Guest IrskasMom

sigh .... That is a greyt Update . I am so happy . Please give him some more of this gentle Hugs . He and you Alicia are on my Mind steady. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Thanks for asking. I'm doing a little better. I'm in "preparations mode" now, so trying to stay busy. The huge worry now is whether or not the pet insurance will cover us. This is the first claim we'll be filing with them, so I have to get all our records together, then it takes about two weeks for them to review it. I'll be waiting with bated breath.

I know that feeling. I had to switch equine insurance companies (not my choice, but previous company is no longer insuring horses valued under $10K). New policy began on September 1. My horse tore a tendon on November 3. Paperwork submitted, but still waiting to find out if I'll get reimbursement.

I hope everything works out - both with Henry's recovery and the insurance process.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Do you have steps? If so have you made a ramp? I found that once she tried the steps as a tripod she much prefered her ramp (I made it in a weekend before we went to OSU).

But I do have 6 steps to get into the house from all entrances.

Take a deep breath and have a large glass of wine before he comes home. He'll be fine.

Do you have steps? If so have you made a ramp?

We do have steps... A LOT of them. Too many for a ramp to be possible. Tentatively, the plan is to walk him to the backyard from the front of the house as to avoid the steps. Before his amp, he had already stopped using the back leg. He was good going down on three legs, but not too sure how to get back up. And he got stuck in the dog door twice. :lol After he heals from the amp, I'm hopeful that he'll start to figure out stairs again.

We do have steps... A LOT of them. Too many for a ramp to be possible. Tentatively, the plan is to walk him to the backyard from the front of the house as to avoid the steps. Before his amp, he had already stopped using the back leg. He was good going down on three legs, but not too sure how to get back up. And he got stuck in the dog door twice. :lol After he heals from the amp, I'm hopeful that he'll start to figure out stairs again.

You may want to close of the dog door for the first week or two as he may freak out if he gets caught and as a result, hurt himself.

My angel Onyx never figured out stairs after the amp and I just had to keep on using a different door.

If you haven't already put down more scatter rugs with rubber backing - then this is the time to do it.

As many others have already said, the first week or two is the worst and you will question your decision right and left but, the situation changes quickly after that -- your dog adjusts, the injury starts to heal and one day you'll see him running in the yard.

Tuesday Morning Update: Another one of the surgeons called and said they are all very impressed with how well Henry is doing. Still eating, still walking around and going outside for them. Going to the bathroom and taking his meds normally. The bruising is still a concern, and they want to monitor him and ice his incision site every two hours. He's also getting pain meds in his IV cath every six hours, which has made his pain very minimal. His progress today will determine whether or not he'll come home tomorrow. :)

Tuesday Morning Update: Another one of the surgeons called and said they are all very impressed with how well Henry is doing. Still eating, still walking around and going outside for them. Going to the bathroom and taking his meds normally. The bruising is still a concern, and they want to monitor him and ice his incision site every two hours. He's also getting pain meds in his IV cath every six hours, which has made his pain very minimal. His progress today will determine whether or not he'll come home tomorrow. :)

You mentioned that you were going to get Amicar earlier in the thread - do you know if he was started on it right after the surgery or before. If it was before, then I would not expect as much bruising, if it was after, then there would be bruising but, in either case, I would expect that it would not get worse.

My angel Onyx was severely bruised also but, this was before the benefits of Amicar were know. His bruising seemed to peak a few days after surgery and then started to change colors and then finally to dissipate. I never took pictures but, maybe others on the forum did and can share so you know what to expect when you see him ... or maybe you would prefer not to see pictures and just wait to see Henry.

It sounds like he is doing as good as can be expected. It also sounds like his seizures are still under control which is really good news.

That's a good idea to close off the dog door. My Diamond forgot she didn't have a front leg and tried to go down them, When she didn't think she could do it, she took a flying leap down 6 steps and crash landed on the cement patio. Can you say "HEART ATTACK". It was after that she decided to use her ramp.

And two weeks does seem to be the magic number. Diamond had an infection of the surgical site and was on the pain meds for two weeks. When she was finally off the pain meds she seemed so much better.

By the way, she was 12 when she had her surgery. And she did great!

Edited by MP_the4pack

:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay

Awesome update!

We had to gate off the stairs up to our second floor bedroom. Our Dude tried to do them within three or four days after coming home! Down is easier than up, but he did eventualy learn how to do them. You might find that Henry's feeling so much better that he will try just about anything.

These harnesses work really well for hind leg amps

http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness_2

Even with Amicar, Dude bruised rather dramatically. It looked *really* ugly for about a week, then began to get better.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

His remaining back leg may retain some fluid too - so don't be alarmed by that. Keeping it elevated and massaging it helped quite a bit, but it still took a good week or so for all of the fluid to be reabsorbed.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Great news! Keep us posted on the insurance claim as well. Who is he insured with?

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Great updates! Go Henry!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

SO glad to hear Henry is doing so well.

On the preparations topic, I thought I'd mention a trick that's been working great for us lately - Diamond has been dealing with a joint/ankle issue that makes her a bit wobbly. After she slipped one night on our bedroom floor, we threw down yoga mats as a temporary solution. Several weeks later, the mats are still there and working great. They're grippy on both sides, so they don't move and help with footing. They're cushy but not so cushy that they make her stumble. The hounds also think they're comfy (if pretty thin) beds.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

These are all great ideas, especially about the yoga mats! As for the Amicar, he started it on Saturday, so he was on it a few days prior to the surgery. The surgeon said greyhounds are different in the fact that their bruising can have a delayed reaction. But she said it wasn't bad for a greyhound- she's seen a lot worse.

The dog door will stay open for Truman, but Henry will be gated off in the living room by himself. Truman can still see him, sniff him, and be near him, but I do worry about accidents since Truman is like a bull in a China closet.

Sounds like he is doing well! That is great news.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.