Henry Actually Doesn't Have Osteo! (Update Post #311)

a_daerr

Alicia, you don't need to give up that image of Henry.

In fact, after about 5-6 weeks, you will find your image of him amplified. I think Chris mentioned somewhere that time and time again, our post-amps become bigger, more full of life, more enthusiastic than ever before. It is truly amazing. I know it is probably impossible to envision that right now. This time between diagnosis and amp is so stressful. I got through it by being busy getting all my ducks in a row to be prepared to take care of her after we got home from OSU.

One of my favorite stories to tell about Twiggy (and I might have already told you this at GIG, my apologies if this is a repeat!) is that just shy of 2 months post-amp, and while she was going through iv chemo, I took her to my group's annual reunion. I let her run in their Radar Run. Into a massive head wind, she was clocked at 37 MPH!!! Two years earlier, just before her 5th birthday (and of course with 4 legs), she had run 39. So if anything, all things relevant, she was actually faster post-amp! The joy in her face making that run was amazing!

I'm relating this because right now it is hard to see that Henry will ever be whole again, and in one sense of course, he won't. But in all the ways that matter, he will be all he ever was and more.

For more proof of joyful tripod life, check out some of Twiggy's adventures from this summer (2 years post-amp):

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/299962-how-to-spend-a-day-at-the-beach/

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/301322-small-dog-surprised-by-sea-monster-in-lake-michigan/

I will be thinking about all of you tomorrow, and sending best wishes for smooth sailing through surgery!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you again for the feedback and photos. I loved looking at those! I think I'm still in a fair amount of shock, and the waiting is the hardest part. Once I'm busy and making preparations, and handling responsibilities, I won't be sitting around dwelling and replaying worst case scenarios.

I think at first, I convinced myself that he was dying- no stopping it, and all I was doing was (selfishly) prolonging the inevitable. It's a little easier knowing there's a good chance we can get more good months/years together. That our days hiking, going to the lake and dog park, going on vacations, doing therapy dog work... those don't have to come to an end just yet.

I'm much more hopeful than I was yesterday. Things will get better. :goodluck

I definitely found it MUCH easier to cope once we'd gotten the treatment ball rolling. Organizing med schedules, taking Gabe to and from oncology and radiation appointments, doing leash walks and making sure he was eating his favorite things - all of those were things I could handle. I could not handle turning things over and over and over in my mind. Once we'd started treatment, the doomsday overthinking (mostly) stopped.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest kkaiser104

Thinking of you and Henry tonight knowing you're preparing for his amp surgery. Gentle hugs to you, Sterling, Truman, and Henry from Me, Teddi, and Winchester. Please keep us updated.

We just dropped Henry off at PVSEC. Tonight, he'll get started on IV fluids, pain meds, and mild sedatives. Hopefully he'll be nice and relaxed for his amp surgery tomorrow. We're ninth on the surgical list, so there is a chance that his surgery could be delayed by a day. He seemed to be in good spirits, though. Even though it's nerve-racking and scary and we know everything is about to change, we're making the most out of the situation.

The best news is that some of our greyhound friends stopped by and threw him an osteo party!

I couldn't be more grateful for the support.

2mme5j6.jpg

Handsome James Bond.

ziriww.jpg

The Tripod-To-Be

How nice of your friends to stop by to make things a happier time for you all!

Henry looks wonderful!

I hope they can get his surgery in tomorrow. I continue to keep you in my thoughts.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Thinking of you--Henry will be in goods hands at pvsec--who's is your onco?? Dr Bridget Urie is an oncologist on staff there--she is a recent oncology resident grad of Ohio state-some say she's Dr Coutos protege. She knows ghs very, very well. Wishing Henry a smooth surgery and a painless, uneventful surgery.

Good thoughts for an uneventful surgery and a quick recovery for Henry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I want to add my good wishes and prayers for an uneventful surgery, a quick & comfortable recovery and many more wonderful years ahead with your beautiful boy. You and Henry will be in my thoughts as you travel this road.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Thinking of you--Henry will be in goods hands at pvsec--who's is your onco?? Dr Bridget Urie is an oncologist on staff there--she is a recent oncology resident grad of Ohio state-some say she's Dr Coutos protege. She knows ghs very, very well. Wishing Henry a smooth surgery and a painless, uneventful surgery.

Yep, we specifically requested Dr. Urie. That was a huge comfort- the next best thing to Guillermo himself. :)