Henry Actually Doesn't Have Osteo! (Update Post #311)

a_daerr

Guest greytkidsmom

My heart hurts for you - we just took our first journey with our dear sweet Lucas.

Having done your homework will help you negotiate the "nuts and bolts" of the process and give you the strength to just be there for Henry.

Like others have said, he will look to you for guidance. Keep what routines you can.

Keep in mind that there will never be a wrong choice if the choice you make is made with love.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DeniseL

Omg. I don't even know what to say!! He is so young, too. Its so disheartening. Why do these sweet, innocent souls suffer with this. I did just hear on facebook that Dr. Couto is practicing in State College now, if you wanted a consult...

I will be praying for you and your family, Alicia....

I would see if you can get him into Penn State's Osteo vaccine study. They've had some amazing results with amp/chemo dogs.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Alicia - I'm so sorry about the news. Hugs to you and Henry and lots of prayers to help you all through what is ahead.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest OPointyDog

Oh no!! My heart fell into my stomach when I saw this. How awful for everyone!! Hope your time together is long yet - and wishing you strength and healing for the coming days. :grouphug

Alicia, I'm so so sorry. I just saw your post in your collar thread on my way home from work and my heart just sunk. I'm shocked to be honest, how old is Henry? I thought he was very young. :(

If there is anything I can do, please feel free to PM or email me. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would see if you can get him into Penn State's Osteo vaccine study. They've had some amazing results with amp/chemo dogs.

Also, I'm already in contact with Penn regarding the osteo vaccination. Four of the five dogs in the trial have survived 16+ months post amp. But it has to be a certain type of tumor to qualify. Dr. Mason should be in touch with me next week.

I'm shocked to be honest, how old is Henry? I thought he was very young. :(

He's only 5. :(

Just to give a little update, we're home from the e-vet. He's pretty out of it due to the sedation for the FNA, but they recommended bringing him home for the weekend. He'll be comfortable and pain-free here for the next few days. Then we'll bring him back on Sunday before the amp on Monday. I made him scrambled eggs and beef ravioli when we got home- he scarfed them up and took his pills like a champ. We'll be starting him on the Amicar tomorrow. I'll make arrangements to take time off work to be with him for a week post-surgery. I also plan to get a home camera so I can monitor him when I'm not home.

Look for me soon in the osteo thread. Even if we don't get a miracle, I'm hoping and praying that we get a decent amount of time left to enjoy him. I'll be researching and reading all of your advice and experiences to make sure Henry gets the best possible fighting chance. He's my special boy, my heart dog, my best friend- we'll take this journey together. For all the joy and comfort he's brought me, he deserves it.

Guest jenniferk

Henry is an amazing, awesome boy, and you are a wonderful mom to him. There's nothing that the two of you can't do, especially considering your stong bond and your own strength to fight this. You will get through this and go on to have a lot of time together.

I'm so very sorry to read this. :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Alicia, lots of warm wishes for an uneventful surgery and quick recovery. It's always sad to hear about OS, but especially heartbreaking when they are so young. :grouphug

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks again, everyone. The one thing I forgot to mention is that Henry definitely thought we were at a therapy visit last night at the e-vet. He's usually pretty stressed and panting at vets' offices. But he was taking turns going up to all the pet parents, putting his face close to theirs, and comforting them. He spent a lot of time with a woman whose galgo was in advanced stages of kidney failure (I didn't catch her name, but Nancy, if you're reading this, she knew who you are).

Also, another huge coincidence is that the attending vet who saw Henry, Dr. Rexford, is also a greyhound owner. His 8-year-old just had a rear leg amputation a week ago, and they're starting chemo soon. We talked for a long time- he seemed impressed that I knew as much as I did. When the side-by-side x-rays came up, I held up my hand and said, 'You don't have to tell me, I know what it is.' We'll be going through this journey together and can exchange stories and advice. The oncologist did her residence at OSU, which was also a huge comfort.