Henry Actually Doesn't Have Osteo! (Update Post #311)

a_daerr

Wow, I am truly amazed at how well he is doing. Go Henry!

So am I. He's exceeded all of my expectations so far. I'm trying to keep up with the ICU's regimen of icing/massaging every two hours. He LOVES his massages! He'll curl up, fall asleep, and get that look of pure pleasure (eyes half closed, mouth half open, drooling). Someone else mentioned a canine massage therapist. Once he's back up and moving, I'm definitely going to take him for regular massages. I found a doggie spa about 10 minutes away with someone who is certified in holistic therapies, including massage. :)

I'm really committed to taking advantage of the time we have left together, however long or short it may be. I have a renewed energy, looking for fun things we can do and places we can go. In addition to the massages and our regular repertoire of vacations, I want to do Mountain Hounds and at least one off-leash doggie beach this year. I also want to get some more professional pictures taken together once he heals and his fur grows back.

Edited by a_daerr

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so in love with Henry! What a trooper! Truman makes my heart melt too! Thanks for keeping us updated, Alicia.

Edited by Acadianarose

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Love the updates. You go Henry!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Today was probably our worst day so far. :( Not horrible, but hard to watch my boy act this way. I left this morning for a doctor's appointment, and DBF texted saying Henry seemed restless. He was panting and couldn't seem to get comfortable. I said to immediately give him some more pain meds. By the time I got home, Henry had lied down, but was wide-eyed and kept trying to lick his incision. I iced and massaged him, then he seemed to calm down a bit. But afterwards, he started panting and wouldn't lie down. By this time, several hours had passed, so I gave him two more pain pills. I gently scooped him down to lay on his side. Then I sat with him for awhile until he drifted off to sleep. He's been sleeping comfortably for the past couple hours.

I'm trying to stay ahead of his pain level. If the restlessness continues, we may need to add something else. I'm staying on top of it and monitoring him closely. Truman too- he still won't leave Henry's side.

What's his pain medication and dosage like? As jaym said, sometimes tramadol can cause restlessness that looks like a pain response. Does he have a fentanyl patch or just oral meds?

Also, what my first thought was, was that he was anxious with you being gone. Was this the first time you've left him since he's come home?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

What's his pain medication and dosage like? As jaym said, sometimes tramadol can cause restlessness that looks like a pain response. Does he have a fentanyl patch or just oral meds?

This happened with the late Miss Jackie when her tramadol dosage was increased. The vet prescribed valium to counteract the restlessness and she did well after that.

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

All my dogs have handled tramadol well, even at higher doses. However, I had a friend who went through a lot of problems with a post-amp dog, a Great Dane. Turned out to be the tramadol. If increasing the tramadol seems to help then that's not Henry's problem but if he doesn't settle until adding a lot of something else you may consider trying his other meds without tramadol.

It can certainly be a balancing act on what med, how much, & how often to give. You are doing the right thing by trying to stay ahead of the pain. Wonder if Henry may have just overdone things a bit, making the pain unexpectedly worse. And some days are just worse than others without any obvious precipitating factors. Hoping today is a better day.

Just a quick update. Henry had a much better day today. He was relaxed and seemed comfortable- I didn't have to do anything special with his pain meds. I have no idea what caused the restlessness yesterday. It could've been a combination of phantom pain, meds, and/or me leaving for the first time since he returned home. Today, he is much more chipper. In fact, when I woke up this morning, he was standing by the couch waiting for pets. :) The fluid and swelling on his belly is pretty much completely gone. He still has a little bruising near his groin and a bit of drainage, but no sign of seroma or infection. I'm happy with the turnaround.

Glad Henry had a better day. Our Charlie also had a day like that just after getting home from his amp. We never found out whether it was pain, tramadol or the patch. We think it ended up being the latter.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.