Henry Actually Doesn't Have Osteo! (Update Post #311)

a_daerr

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind his incision is healing and his hair is going to start growing back. That makes for some funny sensations and some itchiness too. Benedryl helped us get through the rough patch. :)

Glad his restlessness was brief. I'd be inclined to wonder if it didnt have something to do with you leaving. If he didnt see you leave, maybe next time make sure he does see you leave.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'm really committed to taking advantage of the time we have left together, however long or short it may be. I have a renewed energy, looking for fun things we can do and places we can go. In addition to the massages and our regular repertoire of vacations, I want to do Mountain Hounds and at least one off-leash doggie beach this year. I also want to get some more professional pictures taken together once he heals and his fur grows back.

Your list sounds exactly like mine! I hope we can get together at MH this May! (All of our MH/GIG and dog beach trips have been post-osteo)

Henry is recovering remarkably quickly - he's quite a hound! I'm glad he just had that one "off" day.

I hope you've been able to get some sleep! (It is a rare commodity in the first couple weeks post-amp!)

Keep it up, everyone!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

We officially survived one week post-amp! :yay

Henry continues to do well. We go to the vet at 4:15 today for an incision check. He's showing some signs of seroma (fluid build up), but the swelling and bruising is almost entirely gone. His appetite is still good, and he's getting a little braver about moving around on three legs. He's such a good boy- he takes his pills and tolerates my poking and prodding with zero fight. Even though this is just the first step in his treatment, I feel really good about the decisions we've made. Henry is a fighter!

Okay, so here is the good news. Henry does NOT have osteosarcoma. :yay :yay :yay

Well, not technically. The official biopsy came back from his tumor, and while all the symptoms pointed to osteosarcoma, it turned out to be a different type of cancer- spindle cell sarcoma. It's more similar to fibrosarcoma, because it only affects the connective tissue, not the actual bone or cartilage. According to the surgeon, spindle cell sarcoma is much more rare, but it has a better prognosis. The likelihood of metastasis (i.e. spreading to other parts of the body) is much less likely than osteo. It's also rare for the cancer to come in multiples. Because the tumor was in the tibia and we did a full amputation, we most likely got wide enough margins. We're going to do the consult with the oncologist and hopefully continue with chemo. But there's a good chance this could be the worst of it. Henry should have a lot more time left, if not a full recovery. Even though there isn't a "good" type of cancer, per se, he has a much better prognosis than originally thought.

Edited by a_daerr

Guest MnMDogs

Okay, so here is the good news. Henry does NOT have osteosarcoma. :yay :yay :yay

Well, not technically. The official biopsy came back from his tumor, and while all the symptoms pointed to osteosarcoma, it turned out to be a different type of cancer- spindle cell sarcoma. It's more similar to fibrosarcoma, because it only affects the connective tissue, not the actual bone or cartilage. According to the surgeon, spindle cell sarcoma is much more rare, but it has a better prognosis. The likelihood of metastasis (i.e. spreading to other parts of the body) is much less likely than osteo. It's also rare for the cancer to come in multiples. Because the tumor was in the tibia and we did a full amputation, we most likely got wide enough margins. We're going to do the consult with the oncologist and hopefully continue with chemo. But there's a good chance this could be the worst of it. Henry should have a lot more time left, if not a full recovery. Even though there isn't a "good" type of cancer, per se, he has a much better prognosis than originally thought.

Wow, I cannot believe it! Will you need to bother with chemo if margins are clear? Macy just had a spindle cell sarcoma removed without good margins, so we're thinking of chemo. But my understanding is that it's not really needed with good margins. Also, I'd been talking a lot with Dr. Couto about Macy's case, and he had told me that he had a grey with a spindle cell removal over 4 years ago, and she's still doing very well :)

This is incredible. But I have to ask, are they 100% certain? I just assumed that since spindle cell cancers are soft tissue tumors that they wouldn't present in bone.

Regardless, I'm glad that you continue to have good Henry updates. What a roller coaster!

Edited by MnMDogs

Great news! Christine's Sara (Yankeegreyhound) had a different type of cancer. I can't remember the type, but the amp. removed it and she didn't have any further problems. Sara lived to the ripe old age of 12 y/o (almost 13 y/o). Hoping you have many, many more years with your boy Henry.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

But I have to ask, are they 100% certain? I just assumed that since spindle cell cancers are soft tissue tumors that they wouldn't present in bone.

Evidently, they couldn't believe it either. The surgeon actually called the lab and had a conversation with them to confirm. She said, "He's a retired racing greyhound... tumor in the bone... everything looks like osteosarcoma... how can this be?" And the lab checked and double-checked, but were confident that it was spindle cell. It is extremely rare for fibrosarcoma to present in the bone.

Great news! Christine's Sara (Yankeegreyhound) had a different type of cancer.

Yep. I went back through and searched "spindle cell" on the forum, and Sara was the only one I could find who had the same type.

Hurray! This is great news. :) Hopefully this means great things for Mr. Henry!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Alicia - what hopeful news!! How is Henry getting around and feeling?

Great! The people in the waiting room couldn't believe it has only been a week since his amp, since he moves around pretty well. The only issue we're having is some fluid draining below the incision. We're going to flush it 3-4 a day with chlorhexidine and check back in a week. Otherwise, so far so good.

Yep. I went back through and searched "spindle cell" on the forum, and Sara was the only one I could find who had the same type.

Definitely PM Christine about Sara. Sara was quite a character and lived a long life. :)

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)