Henry Actually Doesn't Have Osteo! (Update Post #311)

a_daerr

I'm so sorry. :(

I'm so sorry. :(

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sucks, but, you have no idea how happy I am that you know basically what to expect, so you are ready to fight. You're one step ahead and that bodes well for Henry. Sounds like you've got him the best doctors too.

We're here for you to talk with and lean on, whatever you need.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Our worst nightmare. I am so sorry to hear this news. Healing thoughts for Henry.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Guest LazyBlaze

:( I'm so sorry you've had this news. You love your boy so much. All strength to Henry fighting the good fight - come on boy, you can beat this, you have all of Greytalk behind you. :grouphug

Also, I'm already in contact with Penn regarding the osteo vaccination. Four of the five dogs in the trial have survived 16+ months post amp. But it has to be a certain type of tumor to qualify. Dr. Mason should be in touch with me next week.

He's only 5. :(

Damn. :( FWIW, Lucy was diagnosed with osteo at 4. They went through with amp and chemo and as far as I know she's still doing great, years later. Her mom was in the osteo thread at the time - it would have been in one of the earlier threads at this point, but maybe she'll pop in.

It sounds like you have everything on your side - you know what you're up against and what your treatment options are, you're pursuing the vaccine, and you have what sound like really skilled doctors. I have hope that Henry can beat this!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so terribly sorry. Gentle hugs from me and from Henry in SC.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Oh no :cry1 I am so sorry, Alicia. I haven't been on GT for a while and this is the first thing I see upon my return :( I am sending big big hugs.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Damn. :( FWIW, Lucy was diagnosed with osteo at 4. They went through with amp and chemo and as far as I know she's still doing great, years later. Her mom was in the osteo thread at the time - it would have been in one of the earlier threads at this point, but maybe she'll pop in.

It sounds like you have everything on your side - you know what you're up against and what your treatment options are, you're pursuing the vaccine, and you have what sound like really skilled doctors. I have hope that Henry can beat this!

Lucy had her amp around the same time as our Dude, which would have been Feb/Mar of 2011. And Twiggy was a few months later. Both are still going strong!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My worst nightmare. I've not had to deal with osteo yet but I know that it's evil, evil, evil. Wishing you and Henry all the best as you battle the cancer monster.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Thanks again, everyone. The one thing I forgot to mention is that Henry definitely thought we were at a therapy visit last night at the e-vet. He's usually pretty stressed and panting at vets' offices. But he was taking turns going up to all the pet parents, putting his face close to theirs, and comforting them. He spent a lot of time with a woman whose galgo was in advanced stages of kidney failure (I didn't catch her name, but Nancy, if you're reading this, she knew who you are).

Also, another huge coincidence is that the attending vet who saw Henry, Dr. Rexford, is also a greyhound owner. His 8-year-old just had a rear leg amputation a week ago, and they're starting chemo soon. We talked for a long time- he seemed impressed that I knew as much as I did. When the side-by-side x-rays came up, I held up my hand and said, 'You don't have to tell me, I know what it is.' We'll be going through this journey together and can exchange stories and advice. The oncologist did her residence at OSU, which was also a huge comfort.

I guess you were at PVSEC? Though we thankfully haven't been there for a long time, I remember Dr. Rexford. He saw our Nick back in 2006. Back then he didn't know much about Greyhounds. I remember printing out the different Greyhound lab values for him, as he wasn't familiar with the differences. It's nice to know he's now a Greyhound owner. So is my vet at Avalon. You're in excellent, if expensive, hands. Wish I knew who the Galgo owner might be.

I couldn't help from crying when I was reading all the posts. I think that horrible, surreal, time after the diagnosis and before you have a plan is the absolute worst. I'm so encouraged that that time period didn't last too long for you. That's the way it has to be, I think. I wasted way too much time crying and writing Winnie's obituary in my head, when she would have told me to quit screwing around and get on with what needs to be done. Even after that hesitating, we were lucky, and she had 3 1/2 years after the amp. You can never be sure how things will turn out, but you have to do what you can, and what you think is best for your dog. You are doing what is best for Henry---always remember that!

I will be thinking of you both, sending good thoughts, prayers, and white light for a successful surgery and a quick, uneventful recovery!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Thanks for the advice, Nancy. I'm trying to be strong, but I fall apart every time I look at him. I wonder- will he make it through the surgery? Will he adjust to being a tripod? What will I do about Truman if he loses his companion? Am I making the right decisions? Is this what he would want? I flash back to the day we brought him home- the hundreds of memories we've had together. I see his gentle face and soulful eyes, and my heart feels like it's breaking in half. He is an extraordinary dog. :cry1

This is by far, the most difficult thing I've ever had to do.

just keep in mind the fact that the cancer has already happened. there's no getting around that, and nothing you can do to fix that. the question is only about how you will help him through it. since you have pet insurance, you can get him the full treatment, including amputation. because its in a hind leg, he should recover quickly and have a great quality of life before you know it. amputation is really the only way of removing the crushing pain of a bone tumor like this. the other option would be to simply let him go, and that doesn't seem like much of an option to me.

tempo was running again after three weeks with a FRONT leg amp, so i'd imagine henry will be even faster on the mend. and i can only assure you that his time post-amp, no matter how long or short, can be just as happy and fulfilling as it was before.

if i were to give unsolicited advice, it would be to really concentrate on preparing yourself for the emotional toll immediately following amputation. the first time you see him it will be hard. really hard. when you walk into that room, the first thing you might want to do is tell yourself that he is only going to get better. no matter how hard you prepare yourself, the scar is going to be shocking. this was the low point for me -- seeing the terrible results of the medical decision i had made for tempo. and the week after, when you are adjusting his meds and trying to keep him comfortable, you will almost certainly question whether it was worth it. but keep in mind that after those two weeks, he will recover beautifully, and by the time he's running around on three legs this spring, like nothing happened, you'll know you made the best decision.

Edited by jaym1

I really hope so. I can mope and cry and reminisce and wish this were all a bad dream, but it doesn't change the situation. What's done is done, and the only option is to move forward.

I will say- I'm definitely not ready to see him on three legs. THIS is how I picture my boy.

4504cc5d-d2b2-496e-bc38-60c38906e0f3_zps

I am so sorry to read this. I've been down this road with my Lab Sarge so I know how you feel.I can only pray for you and Henry, and hope that all goes well. I will be thinking and praying for you both. :hope This is for Henry :kiss2

o888p2.jpg

Nancy~Mom to Wizard July 9, 2006 and Lexie June 25, 2009

Always in my heart, my goofy boy Sarge 8-25-04....5-17-11

I really hope so. I can mope and cry and reminisce and wish this were all a bad dream, but it doesn't change the situation. What's done is done, and the only option is to move forward.

I will say- I'm definitely not ready to see him on three legs. THIS is how I picture my boy.

4504cc5d-d2b2-496e-bc38-60c38906e0f3_zps

Alicia, Henry is a beautiful boy and he will surprise you when he is a tripod. Our Charlie was crazy as a tripod and loved to run and play. Here are some pics to hopefully lift your spirits as like they say, "tripods rock!"

Stuffie killing as a tripod:

DSC_0134-4.jpg

DSC_0136-3.jpg

DSC_0155-2.jpg

Burning rubber (or snow in this case):

DSC_0359-1.jpg

DSC_0360-1.jpg

Eat my dust...

DSC_0361-1.jpg

More stuffie killing:

DSC_0335-1.jpg

Running for the joy of it:

DSC_0191.jpg

Chasing a four legged pup who was half his age:

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0301-1.jpg

Chasing a squirrel by barreling out the backdoor and down the berm (note he is beating his 4 legged brother and the squirrel in the top right)

DSC_0169-3.jpg

And this is 'Charlie's berm' that I build for him to get on/off the deck:

DSC_0247-2.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

I'll never regret having a tripod, never and I know Henry will show you as well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

My best wishes for you and your sweet one tomorrow Alicia.

The first couple weeks will be stressful, but with every passing

day he will get stronger and stronger. He's young and will heal

quickly and be back to his old self in no time.

Honestly, looking back now I have a hard time imagining Pinky with four legs. Honestly, she was happier with three! She had a change for the better - she became more independent (she had always sort of existed as Ace's shadow), more bossy, more outgoing. She was always a friendly dog, but, after her amp she seemed eager to share herself with the world.

The battle you are walking into is tough, but, it is a battle that you can win emotionally. Don't EVER let yourself wonder if you've done the right thing. OF COURSE you have. He is only 5 years old - you are giving him every advantage, every chance to continue to live a happy life. The recovery from surgery is temporary, and, as I said, after a while you will have a hard time picturing him with four legs.

Dogs seem to recover from rear-leg amps faster, from what I have seen. And you'll get used to it a lot faster, I think. The way they move with a front leg amp is very different from their natural gait, whereas how they move with a rear leg amp is very similar.

Here's a video of Pinky shortly after her surgery (probably about 2 or 3 weeks after her surgery), hopping around the yard :) Henry will probably be shaved in a similar fashion. Her pain patch was placed between her hips, and that hair grew back a lot more slowly than the rest.

http://s995.photobucket.com/user/krissn333/media/Pinky/6f348df7.mp4.html

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--