Raven (Tv Fat Fanny) 01/18/2000 - 10/27/2013

GreytNut

Raven was a strange mix of happy and anxious, loving and spook, happily retired pet and determined escape artist... she was just a walking contradiction.

When she first came home she was incredibly spooky. She warmed to me after a while but was still nervous around DH and pretty much all men. Then one day DH brought home the Magic Toy. It was a floppy cow (maybe it was a giraffe... it was weird-looking to be sure). Whatever it was, Raven loved it. She carried it around, snuggled with it and thought it was the best thing ever. And DH was the best human ever for bringing it home to her. From then on, she was Daddy's Girl.

She was comfortable at home, in her own element and with her family. She was not OK with the outside world. She pulled out of her martingale and ran, and I chased her for 3 hours through the San Bernardino National Forest to get her back. She wriggled out of an "escape-proof" harness and took off down the street. I drove after her, then had to abandon the car when she left the road. I realized after I was already out and running that I'd left the car in gear and it was rolling away. I had a choice of getting the dog or getting the car, so I went after the dog and let the car roll into a lamp post. Priorities, you know. Fortunately she stopped on someone's porch, and thinking that she was home, waited patiently to be let inside. Got her.

Eventually she became OK with the outside world too. We could stop calling her the Rubber Dog or Houdini and relax a bit while out on walks. She learned to let strangers *gasp* pet her without having a meltdown. She learned that going new places could be fun, and that there were often treats involved in such outings. She came out of her shell.

As dysfunctional as her relationship with humans was, Raven was *fantastic* with other dogs, especially greyhounds. She could get along well with any canine. It was her gift. She couldn't bear to be an only dog, but as long as there was another canine around she was fine. She patiently put up with Argus, who was an obnoxious alpha (you might say bully) and constantly pushed her around. She put up with Tiny, who was the only surviving member of his litter and had no social skills. Even when he frantically nitted her because he didn't know how to appropriately initiate play, she stood there and sighed. She stoically dealt with Riley and his megalomaniacal tendencies. She eagerly welcomed play dates and visitors. She fell in love with the handsome dog next door, and he with her. They would play by running up and down the fenceline together. She would sometimes let him win.

But as always, age happened. Her eyes clouded up. Her back end weakened. She ate prodigious amounts of food but couldn't keep weight on. Incontinence and eventually dementia set in. She wandered around the house frightened and confused, like she couldn't remember where she was. She wandered out the dog door into a blizzard and wandered in circles until I noticed she was missing and went out to rescue her before she could freeze to death. So a couple of months shy of her 14th birthday, we said goodbye.

Pretty girl.

000_2903.jpg

Patiently enduring Tiny's enthusiasm. He eventually learned how to behave and became a great companion, so her patience was well rewarded. (And yes, Tiny really was HUGE.)

000_2863.jpg

000_2865.jpg

000_2900.jpg

Evita the Oriental Shorthair was her "puppy."

000_0448.jpg

She adored Argus, our first greyhound.

MirrorImage-1.jpg

She played well with Riley, who doesn't really play well with anyone.

IMG_8975_1.jpg

Her laughter was contagious.

LaughingRaven2-1.jpg

And her favorite thing ever was freshly cut grass. She would roll in it and breathe it in... oh, bliss. :wub:

IMG_27982.jpg

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. I always liked to read about Raven and see her photos :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a special girl, to be sure.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I always remember her race name. She was a very special girl. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

The beautiful girl with one of the best racing names ever. In the fourth photo it looks as tho she was making a snow angel :heart. I am so sorry for your loss :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug

:gh_run2

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm so sorry for your loss...sounds like she had the best life ever with you.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

So very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Raven.

Remember the good times....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so very sorry. Your special girl lasted a good while, but it's never long enough.

Godspeed Raven.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your pretty girl.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

The beautiful girl with one of the best racing names ever. In the fourth photo it looks as tho she was making a snow angel :heart. I am so sorry for your loss :grouphug

She was named after an old Little Richard song called "Short Fat Fanny." In it, he opines that he doesn't want to dance with Long Tall Sally. He wants to dance with Short Fat Fanny, who has a hot temper.

Funny thing is, she was skinny as a noodle. Her foster mom wrote on the envelope her adoption paperwork came in, "But... I'm not fat at all!"

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg