Possum 2/16/04 - 9/30/13

macoduck

66 days.

That's how long Possum was with us. Cancer got him twice. He lost the battle the second time.

Possum's first adopter did him wrong. I hope not for the majority of the time but he certainly did for the last year or more. You'd think a canine cop would treat a dog better when medical care was needed. Nope. Dumped at a different greyhound rescue than the one he came from, they read the tats and notified GFNC. Possum had a softball sized soft tissue sarcoma on his leg. Surgery was quickly done and he spent months healing the large wound. I visited him several times and was amazed at how happy he was there. Heck, he reveled in all the attention he was getting. He never gave them any trouble with all the post surgical dressing changes.

We like prefer the older dogs here. Harold had left us at 14 in March. We had room for another old boy. Nobody else was interested in adopting Possum. He was fated to be here. :) I only wish he had gotten to meet Gracie who left us in July at 13.

Possum's race name was Apostle. My DH asked if he could finally name a dog. Usually we kept the same name or something similar. Possum. Less syllables and rolled off the tongue easier. And he answered to it. I found fabric with opposums on it and had a collar made.

His first night home Possum jumped up in my bed and snuggled. Yikes! None of my big dogs had ever done that before. He not only cuddled, he threw his foreleg across me and rested his head on my shoulder. The sound of his peaceful breathing was the sweetest music ever.

I always take any new dog to my vet for a well-doggy checkup. A thorough exam was done and all was good. Possum even "blessed" the vet's exam table and scale. That became a habit whenever we went to Petsmart too so he had to wear a bellyband in public buildings. The fire hydrant print fabric always drew a chuckle from folks. At home he never peed indoors and he thrived on the routine of our household.

Possum was always happiest stalking squirrels. When he came up lame I took him to the vet. Xrays were clear but he had mild shoulder tissue tenderness. And then the vet examined the rest of him and found his lymph nodes were swollen. Aspirations were sent out to the lab confirming lymphoma. We started him on prednisone. The lumps got bigger, then a wee bit smaller, then bigger and bigger.

We knew the inevitable was coming. How was it we got so attached to Possum in such a short time? What could we do to make his last days the best? And so we made him a Bucket List: his own bowl of ice cream (not just licking the bottom of his dad's bowl), Cheez-its whenever he wanted, Burpdog cookies, getting his picture taken wearing the family Davy Crockett coonskin hat (every male dog, my grandson, my stepson, and my DH have had their picture taken wearing it) , flirting with his online girlfriend ZoeDQ, and going to his first greyhound playgroup and having a (slow-paced) blast.

Yesterday midday it seemed like the lumps on his throat had tripled in size. I called to move his vet appointment up. In our optimism we had scheduled weekly visits for the next month. His breathing became labored. The vet swooped him right in.

I held Possum while my vet gave him a sedative injection and he gradually relaxed. Once again his head was nestled on my shoulder. Once again I felt his gentle breathing, no longer labored. Heaven for a few more minutes. And then we let him go.

9 years, 5 months, 10 days before you became ours.

13 days from lump presentation to goodbye.

66 days as a member of our family.

Possum, you were a very good boy.

009_zps7fd5e72b.jpg022_zps1536842b.jpg015_zpsebd8e0c6.jpg017_zps3df4dae9.jpg006_zps1dd72120.jpg

013_zps0e17f8b1.jpg73553d74-0627-4a02-a199-06af51dc6e87_zps

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhillyPups

Ducky, I am so very sorry for your loss :bighug

It does not matter how long we have them, they steal a piece of our heart and take it with them and leave their pawprint on ours.

Run with the angels sweet Possum, you are with the very very best ~

I'm so sorry. I wish you had more time together, as it seems like you were made for each other :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

My deepest condolences, you are such angels to give that boy the best 66 days ever.

Godspeed handsome boy :f_red

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Not fair to any of you. Just not fair. :(

Godspeed, good handsome boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, Possum, what a handsome dude you were. That third picture where you are apparently casting a spell on someone (or are you holding an invisible remote?) made me laugh out loud. So happy you got to spend your last days in a happy, loving home. Rest well.

I am so sorry for your loss, macoduck.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest PiagetsMom

You know, that's just not right.....and my heart hurts for you. But, I am so glad that Possum had your home these last 66 days. He knew much love and caring, and he will be missed. Godspeed to your sweet Possum.

I'm so very sorry :grouphug

What a beautiful tribute to Possum. How fortunate he landed at your home and how fortunate you had him even though it was way too short. I am sorry that he is gone. Godspeed Possum and may the wind always be at your back. You were much loved on earth. I am so sorry...................

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

They never stay long enough. I am so sorry for the loss of your very special boy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Ducky, you may only have had him for 66 days, but it took 9 years, 5 months and 10 days for him to find his forever home. I know those 66 days were his best and he was able to leave knowing he was truly, thoroughly loved.

I am so very sorry.

Give PUdge a scritch for me.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Run pain-free Possum. You had many friends and followers here that you never met. :f_white

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'm so sorry. I'm sure the last 66 days were the best of his life. I'm sure I would have gotten attached just as fast as you did. I love the pictures of his sweet, happy face. Godspeed Possum, you'll be missed.

f_yellow

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

I'm so sorry, Ducky. How lucky Possum was to have you when he needed you most. He was a beautiful boy.

Godspeed, Possum.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

...and rested his head on my shoulder. The sound of his peaceful breathing was the sweetest music ever.

Ducky, Possum will always be singing to you, in your heart. I am so very sorry you didn't get more time together :grouphug

Godspeed special boy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Ducky, you gave him the best 66 days of his life, and he returned it a hundredfold in his love for you. We will miss him on the WFUBCC - he brightened our lives for such a short time, but we won't forget him!

Run Free Possum! :gh_run2

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Run with the angels sweet boy.

Your last days here on earth were surrounded in love and you left this

world gently, after finding the forever home you were always meant to

be in.

So very sorry for such a short time of love to give your beautiful boy.

I have no words for how sad I am for you.....and for possum that he didn't have longer to enjoy and revel in the true love of your home.....yet, on the other side of it, I think how blessed he was that he did know true love....even if for too short of a time. And I think he knew that h had found love that first day when he crawled in your bed. God bless....

Ducky, you gave him the best 66 days of his life, and he returned it a hundredfold in his love for you. We will miss him on the WFUBCC - he brightened our lives for such a short time, but we won't forget him!

Run Free Possum! :gh_run2

He really was a joy to get to know...

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.