Possum 2/16/04 - 9/30/13

macoduck

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run free Possum, run free.

:bighug Ducky

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

"He not only cuddled, he threw his foreleg across me and rested his head on my shoulder. The sound of his peaceful breathing was the sweetest music ever."

oh what a sweet-sweet picture and memory... thank you so much for sharing it with us, and sharing all that love with Possum for the best 66 days!

So so sorry for this loss and grief.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

66 days. I'm sure it felt like a lifetime of love to Possum. Hugs to everyone who loved that handsome boy. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Ducky, I'm very sorry and wish Possum's time with you could have been longer. Both of you deserved that.

Run free, Possum

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I'm so sorry he had to leave so soon, but so glad that his last days were happy, with you.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

What a beautiful story of love, so very sorry Possum had to leave this world, you gave him the best 66 days of his life.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

So unfair. I'm so sorry your time together wasn't longer.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest patgam

Aww Ducky, I am so sorry that Possum has left. What wonderful days you had with him and how handsome he was.

Hugs and bless you for giving him the best!

Pat G & Doubles

Guest iconsmum

66 days.

That's how long Possum was with us. Cancer got him twice. He lost the battle the second time.

Possum's first adopter did him wrong. I hope not for the majority of the time but he certainly did for the last year or more. You'd think a canine cop would treat a dog better when medical care was needed. Nope. Dumped at a different greyhound rescue than the one he came from, they read the tats and notified GFNC. Possum had a softball sized soft tissue sarcoma on his leg. Surgery was quickly done and he spent months healing the large wound. I visited him several times and was amazed at how happy he was there. Heck, he reveled in all the attention he was getting. He never gave them any trouble with all the post surgical dressing changes.

We like prefer the older dogs here. Harold had left us at 14 in March. We had room for another old boy. Nobody else was interested in adopting Possum. He was fated to be here. :) I only wish he had gotten to meet Gracie who left us in July at 13.

Possum's race name was Apostle. My DH asked if he could finally name a dog. Usually we kept the same name or something similar. Possum. Less syllables and rolled off the tongue easier. And he answered to it. I found fabric with opposums on it and had a collar made.

His first night home Possum jumped up in my bed and snuggled. Yikes! None of my big dogs had ever done that before. He not only cuddled, he threw his foreleg across me and rested his head on my shoulder. The sound of his peaceful breathing was the sweetest music ever.

I always take any new dog to my vet for a well-doggy checkup. A thorough exam was done and all was good. Possum even "blessed" the vet's exam table and scale. That became a habit whenever we went to Petsmart too so he had to wear a bellyband in public buildings. The fire hydrant print fabric always drew a chuckle from folks. At home he never peed indoors and he thrived on the routine of our household.

Possum was always happiest stalking squirrels. When he came up lame I took him to the vet. Xrays were clear but he had mild shoulder tissue tenderness. And then the vet examined the rest of him and found his lymph nodes were swollen. Aspirations were sent out to the lab confirming lymphoma. We started him on prednisone. The lumps got bigger, then a wee bit smaller, then bigger and bigger.

We knew the inevitable was coming. How was it we got so attached to Possum in such a short time? What could we do to make his last days the best? And so we made him a Bucket List: his own bowl of ice cream (not just licking the bottom of his dad's bowl), Cheez-its whenever he wanted, Burpdog cookies, getting his picture taken wearing the family Davy Crockett coonskin hat (every male dog, my grandson, my stepson, and my DH have had their picture taken wearing it) , flirting with his online girlfriend ZoeDQ, and going to his first greyhound playgroup and having a (slow-paced) blast.

Yesterday midday it seemed like the lumps on his throat had tripled in size. I called to move his vet appointment up. In our optimism we had scheduled weekly visits for the next month. His breathing became labored. The vet swooped him right in.

I held Possum while my vet gave him a sedative injection and he gradually relaxed. Once again his head was nestled on my shoulder. Once again I felt his gentle breathing, no longer labored. Heaven for a few more minutes. And then we let him go.

9 years, 5 months, 10 days before you became ours.

13 days from lump presentation to goodbye.

66 days as a member of our family.

Possum, you were a very good boy.

009_zps7fd5e72b.jpg022_zps1536842b.jpg015_zpsebd8e0c6.jpg017_zps3df4dae9.jpg006_zps1dd72120.jpg

013_zps0e17f8b1.jpg73553d74-0627-4a02-a199-06af51dc6e87_zps

Oh, he was an angel...and so were you. I can so identify with your loving him so much. I had the same kind of dog once. We got 10 months but you were given only two. All my sympathy!

Ducky - I'm so very sorry. But thank God you had each other for those 66 wonderful days. GodSpeed sweet Possum.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

{{{Ducky}}}! What a truly touching story. I'm so very sorry Possum couldn't have stayed with you longer, but he stayed as long as he could, and you were a blessing to one another. :grouphug

Godspeed, Possum the Apostle. You were a very greyt boy. :f_white

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I'm so sorry. How lucky he was to have been so loved!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Ducky, I am so sorry for the loss of Possum. Thank you for giving him the gift of a loving family.

Hugs

Amy & Maddie

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]